Forum > Beans

How is your roasting business coming along?

(1/5) > >>

Turboner:
Hello all huky-ntrepreneurs!

Just wanted to know how your roasting business is coming along. Waiting for the permits and licenses took a little bit of wind out of my sails, but now that I have them and finished the food handler class, I am ready to roast-n-roll. 

thusband:
I considered a roasting business but thought it might not be practical with the Huky.  Roasting 1lb at time would limit the size of your customer base wouldn't it?  If you're roasting out of your home are permits and licenses required?

Turboner:
You are correct about the Huky regarding commercial roasting, I'm not sure how others do it, but for me this is just something on the side (selling to friends, family and neighbors). When it comes to permits and licenses to sell and prepare dry goods from home in CA, you will need a Cottage Food Operators permit (A or B) and a Business Tax Registration (this is what they call a Business License in LA). The only thing about the CFO permit is that you have a gross annual sales limit of $50,000 (in California at least). I am able to roast about 3 lbs/hr, so doing the math, for someone who really wants to get to that 50K you will have to roast about 7-9 lbs of coffee (about 2-3 hrs) everyday of the year using a HUKY at around $15 per 12 oz or 16 oz bag.

Turboner:
By the way, the CFO permit is using your existing home kitchen only. If you plan to roast from your garage, the requirements are completely different.

thusband:
Good information.  I think I'll look into it.  Many thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version