Author Topic: Wifi Data Logging  (Read 7276 times)

Offline bdunn

Wifi Data Logging
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:01:16 AM »
I am working on a Huky purchase and have a few questions for the forum about data logging. I don’t have a laptop (use a desktop hub and ipad) and plan to roast in the garage. Has anyone used or had any success with data logging with an ipad running wirelessly or wired (don’t know if a wired option is even possible)? From what I have learned from the forum and the internet, it seems that the best option is to use roastmaster and a phidget with a wireless antenna linked to my network, but that’s about as far as I have gotten. Any discussions on individual experiences, alternatives, or even specific product numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Wifi Data Logging
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
I did indeed have a look at the RoastMaster/Ipad solution (as I have an Ipad, writing this very answer on it...), but went the "standard old fashioned" way with an old laptop connected via a Phidget to the TC's. That doesn't mean it's a bad solution, it's just not that common in this community.
I havn't seen much about RoastMaster in this forum and you're probable to find more info on HomeBarista.com. Please note that you can make your decision based on the data about RoastMaster with just about any drum roaster, as the Huky is "just about any drum roaster" when it comes to the way the TC's give their data.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline jvietri

• Solid or Perf: Both - using solid
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
That is EXACTLY the setup I use in my garage with my Huky.  I have used Roastmaster and an iPad since day 1.  The convenience of using it on an iPad is great, but the functionality within Roastmaster is excellent also.  Love the ability to manage green inventory, the roast profile tracking is easy to use, and the built in labeling functionality is really nice.   I know not a lot of people use it however on the rain frog website there are some really useful videos and tutorials.  Very well written software!   My 2 cents. 
jv

Offline bdunn

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
Thanks, JV. That is really helpful information. Would you mind sharing some of the specifics of your setup? I emailed the folks at Phidget, and they mentioned that to go wireless, you would need an SBC, 1080, and the wifi dongle. This ends up being a pretty pricey option (~$275+ total), but it may just be the only way. I also asked about connecting using an extra airport express I have, and they said that was not possible.

Offline jvietri

• Solid or Perf: Both - using solid
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »
Sure.  I do have the phidget 1048 and the SBC.  I also did purchase the wireless dongle but am no longer using it as it was not all that reliable.  Every couple of roasts it would loose its connection which was annoying.  So the guy at Rainfrog (maker of Roastmaster) Danny suggested I hook the SBC directly up to an old wireless router and then connect the iPad directly to the router.  It works AWESOME.  Never had an issues since going that route.  I'm not sure how you can reduce the cost from with maybe the exception of the wireless dongle because you will need the 1048 and the SBC.   Although I think there are a couple of other data logging options available for Roastmaster, go to the website and look In the data logging section, there could be some cheaper options. 

Danny is awesome, I have emailed him a couple of times and he responds right back!   I can snap a few pics of my setup for you if that would be helpful, but like I said it works like a champ and I totally love the convenience of the iPad.   Artisan seems like great software as well, it's just I started with this and have been using for over a year. 
jv

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »
Bluetherm duo works well with the Ipad/Roastmaster combo, and can double for cooking if your interested. I don't have the setup but saw it in action.

The IPad was set up on a music stand adjacent to the roaster, thermocouples plug into the Bluetherm which wirelessly communicates with an iPad.

Offline rawman

• Solid or Perf: Starting with perforated but I have a solid as well
  • Serial Number: 842
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »
Another thing you could look at: Raspberry Pi 3.  You should be able to get a complete kit for around $50/$60 including a plastic case and power supply.  It comes with wifi/bluetooth integraged.  Initial set up can be done inside the house, you will have to run a few commands to get the libraries set up, but the instructions are somewhere around here and we can help you do that.  Once it is set up, you can run Artisan on it, set up a VNC server and access the vnc server from the ipad.  That should get what you need for quite a bit cheaper.

Offline bdunn

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:40 AM »
That's very interesting. So you essentially use the raspberry instead of the SBC? Still use the 1048 to hook up the thermocouples?

Offline bdunn

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
One other question for the group here...why are the connections on the thermocouples that you get from Mr. Li? Is it bare wire?

Offline rawman

• Solid or Perf: Starting with perforated but I have a solid as well
  • Serial Number: 842
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
That's very interesting. So you essentially use the raspberry instead of the SBC? Still use the 1048 to hook up the thermocouples?

Yes the thermocouples connect to the 1048 which connects to the Raspberry pi.  This thread should help:

https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,573.msg10037.html#msg10037 

One other question for the group here...why are the connections on the thermocouples that you get from Mr. Li? Is it bare wire?

The theromocouples come with the type k connector which unscrew easily to access bare wires which are plugged into the 1048.  Some have tried to get attachments to plug the thermocouples into but the ended up introducing too much noise.  Easiest to just unscrew the connectors and remove the bare wires.

Offline Wo ai Coffee

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1002
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
Another cheap work around with Roastmaster is to manually enter temps on the iPad as the roast is going.  I just read off bean temp from my digital thermometer hooked to my bean temp thermocouple. You can choose as many data points to enter as you like.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM