Author Topic: Can propane and natural gas be swapped out with fitments SOLVED: YES  (Read 5738 times)

Offline day

As the title says, can the propane and natural gas options be swapped around by changing simple cheap fitments or would it require a whole new stove?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:42:40 AM by day »

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Can propane and natural gas be swapped out with fitments
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »
That's a good question, I've been investigating how NG works. Normal home pressures run around 6-8" WC which equates to @ 1.7 kPa; it would be nice to have a 10" WC gauge.

The normal pressure gauge he uses is the wrong size for NG, is there another option? And can the jet/jets be replaced with a conversion size?

Offline day

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:20:03 AM »
That's a good question, I've been investigating how NG works. Normal home pressures run around 6-8" WC which equates to @ 1.7 kPa; it would be nice to have a 10" WC gauge.

The normal pressure gauge he uses is the wrong size for NG, is there another option? And can the jet/jets be replaced with a conversion size?
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I have my invoice ready but have not paid yet. Will the pressure gauge not work? Is there something specific I need to find out before ordering? The used option I had considered was ng, and she said her pressure gauge would stop working when she lit the stove.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:22:52 AM by day »

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:40 AM »
I don't have NG, only just started reading up on it. You should be able to operate a small roaster with home pressures. 10" WC gauges are available, a little pricy.

NG makes sense in colder climates wher the machine can be permanently installed in the basement, just like the water heater or furnace.

LPG pressures can go up to 4 kPa with the green Taiwan regulator, NG pressure is limited. Commercial installations should have a separate gas line installed with a higher WC pressure.

Not sure what the finer points are between LPG an NG. I was told LPG has more adjustability than NG which makes sense. How does the heat output compare, no idea?

Offline day

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »
I don't have NG, only just started reading up on it. You should be able to operate a small roaster with home pressures. 10" WC gauges are available, a little pricy.

NG makes sense in colder climates wher the machine can be permanently installed in the basement, just like the water heater or furnace.

LPG pressures can go up to 4 kPa with the green Taiwan regulator, NG pressure is limited. Commercial installations should have a separate gas line installed with a higher WC pressure.

Not sure what the finer points are between LPG an NG. I was told LPG has more adjustability than NG which makes sense. How does the heat output compare, no idea?

So natural gas is my only hold up, I just emailed Mr. Li about the fitments, but want to follow up on this. If my line pressure is sufficient (my dad says it is and installed gas fireplaces and lines for years though these applications are not his experience) then maximum flow would be sufficient heat and the needle nose would just cause it to slow in a controlled fashion right?

My second question is related to pressure and flow. The two are not equivalent right? The needle valve would be controlling flow but a particular given setting would not necessarily be tied to pressure, which would be temperature dependent correct? So, if correct? the pressure gauge would only be useful when comparing temperatures at the same ambient temperature environments? Though my dad believes that it would required hundreds of degrees of shift before it was relevant, so I am probably just going to go ahead and place the order and continue learning more about it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:04:00 AM by day »

Offline day

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
Heard back from Kuanho. He said that the fitments can be easily swapped to switch from propane to ng.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
Good to hear, I'm planning on using NG in an apartment and have a propane stove that can be converted.

Replacing the gauge is going to help tracking adjustments, and the needle valve should work fine as well. Overall performance is a question, hopefully the profiles can be adapted.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
I didn't know the english word (fitments ?) but I can confirm that in france you just have to switch it either you want NG or butane/propane. If you have the wrong one flammes will be big and yellow instead of sharp and blue.

For porpane/butane it's the same fitment, but you have to change the pressure thing just after the bottle/tank (I don't know the word either).

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM