Forum > Pictures

My Fully Automated Huky!

(1/6) > >>

Agrajag:
After getting my DC fan controlled by artisan and logging stove pressure I had a thought - what if I could control the gas as well? This was turning into more of a "could I" rather than "should I", but sounded like fun. Again, I didn't want to muck around with installing anything in the gas lines, so wondered if the knob could be controlled with a stepper motor? For those who don't know, a stepper motor is just a motor that can be accurately controlled. The torque required to turn the knob is very low, so I did some research and found you can get a small stepper motor for about $2. The knob on the gas can easily be taken off and adding a gear pulley to the shaft required no modifications. The gear pulleys + belt were found on ebay for about $15.

Hooked up to my arduino (lucky I got a mega, it now has 2 thermocouple interfaces, drives fan and motor) I wrote the program to control it that artisan could call. The result is this:

https://youtu.be/AjYLSC1JGC8

:D :D (yeah the control box is still in "prototype stage". And I'm no woodworker :-[)

I then had a poke around artisan (the documentation leaves a bit to be desired) and found that by using the Alarms functionality, I could set fan/stove at certain times during the roast. This is pretty powerful. This means I can have a Fully Automated Roast! For example, here's a set of alarms that are setup to follow Gregr's guide to achieving a Rao Curve:

Now all I have to do is load/drop the beans! Oh yeah.. and find that "god roast".

Crzyworm623:
that's pretty neat.  seems like it would be good for guys roasting for small scale sales.  Figure out a profile then automate it for repeatable roasts.

Agrajag:
Yeah, it's also useful even just using it by pressing the buttons as artisan is then logging it accurately as well. It also opens up the doors of being able to automatically follow a given profile, adjusting power/fan as appropriate. That would require some smarter software though, would be an interesting project.

rawman:
Nice.  I knew it could be done with an Arduino.  Now all you need to do is add the drum speed controller as well.  I have an external motor controller hooked to an arduino but haven't integrated it into Artisan yet

Seion:
Very cool, thanks for posting this!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version