Author Topic: Imported-duty Matter  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Bee

Imported-duty Matter
« on: July 14, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »
Hi guys,

I'd like to share an experience of imported duty when buying a Huky. Here is my case:

After ordering & waiting about 1 month for the Huky. Mr. Li shipped the Huky to me via EMS. He filled the shipping / custom form with the real price of the Huky. He sent me a photo of the form. I didn't have any idea of paying a real high imported duty / tax for the Huky when seeing the form, but felt happy that the Huky would reach me very soon.

Yesterday, I got a call from the EMS guy in Vietnam telling me that the Huky just arrived and that I had to pay 25% imported tax + 10% VAT. Totally, 35%. I almost cried hearing that  :'( :'( :'(. That's a lot, OMG!

I emailed Mr. Li to ask if he had any idea or experience of this matter. He replied yes. He also said if the clients aware of the high imported duty, he could lower the Huky's price in the invoice, so that the clients would pay less tax. He said he did it sometimes. I told him that if he had had experience on this matter since he has shipped his Huky throughout the world, he should have helped to warn his clients about that because not all of his clients were experienced of buying & importing something from another country. If he had warned, his clients would have been helped. I told him I didn't mean to blame him, but my ignorance since I had had no idea of the imported duty.

I still didn't take the Huky yet since the tax 35% was too high, which means I have to pay a big deal more  :-\ :'(. I'm still looking for a solution.

Anyone in here had the same problem like mine before? If yes, what did you do? Maybe, I'll find some ideas that help.

I also want to share my case for you guys who are planning to order a Huky from Mr. Li. You should be aware of the rate of imported duty / tax in your country, then you can ask Mr. Li to lower the Huky's price in the invoice so that you won't have to pay a crazy tax for a small & uncommercial machine like Huky.

Bee

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Imported-duty Matter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
While I didn't have to pay any import tax (i.e customs charge) I did have to pay a 20% VAT, but not on the total amount paid to Mr Li, as he had written the value of a "basic" Huky roaster (about US $1050 at the time). You don't say if you had to pay taxes for each and every penny you paid for the roaster and accessories.
There are two things that comes to mind... First, you ought to be aware of the cost for importing whatever gear into your country. Second, Mr Li is obliged (actually by law) to give the correct value of the items he sends out of Taiwan. It seems like he's still trying to do his best for his customers by writing somewhat lower total sums than what we pay with our extra items, but I don't think that tax authorites in Taiwan are nicer to deal with than anywhere else in the world, should they find out that he is lowering the reported value on a regular basis.
Enough ranting... I hope that you will enjoy your new (expensive :) ) roaster.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
Hi edtbjon,

By law, Mr. Li has to put a reported value in the customs paper. And yes, Mr. Li told that he helped to lower the reported value if his clients aware of the imported-duty rate and informed him before he sends the machine.

I am telling my case with a thought that somebody who are planning to buy a Huky can learn to save some money.

Sure I will enjoy the roaster more in an "inexpensive" way  ;D :P

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
Sorry to hear your difficulties :-X

Sometimes a coffee roaster can be put in different customs categories, country of origin makes a difference.

What about bringing it in as a used machine? Or shipping in from a neighboring country with less tariff/duty schedules?

Offline Liviu.Mihu

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 981
  • J or T : J
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
If tax is higher than shipping cost, send it back and re-ship with the "correct" papers :)

Offline Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your great ideas. However, I decided to take the Huky & paid 35% tax. Experience always costs, you know  ;). Moreover, I don't think bothering Mr. Li is a good idea since he's normally busy.

I'd like to show you some photos of my Huky setup. It's ready to rock  :). But I still have to have it equipped with a duct & an airflow controller as well.

Cheers!
Bee

Offline Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 10:50:56 PM »
Another foto of Huky.

Offline Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 10:54:01 PM »
Here is the "undertable" phidget  ::)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM