Author Topic: New to roasting, a few questions about the Huky  (Read 6766 times)

Offline jeffdt

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1096
  • J or T : T
New to roasting, a few questions about the Huky
« on: July 27, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »
Apologies in advance if my terminology is incorrect, I'm still learning :)

I've spent a few hours reading the forums + resource links, watching youtube videos, etc. and have gathered some great info. Having only spent some time roasting with popcorn poppers, I am used to a very straightforward roast with little control over the process (e.g. temperature, airflow). Being able to control these variables sounds great but at the same time having so little knowledge of how they affect the roast is intimidating.

Here are a few questions on my mind, if anyone could help me with any/all of these I would really appreciate it... I know there's a lot here!

1) If I wanted to do logging to my computer, what options with the Huky are necessary to select? I consider myself pretty computer-literate in general, but I'm inexperienced with interfacing with sensors. It's really confusing knowing which options I'd need. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the terminology (thermocouples, MET, etc) but am eager to learn.

2) How necessary/desirable is it to set up for computer logging? If you opt not to do this and leave the stock analog readouts, is it still feasible to achieve consistent/"good" roasts? I would rather keep things simple if possible, but I will opt for this if it's something I'd regret skipping later.

3) Regarding ordering extra parts, my understanding is that people like to get a few extras to be able to remove the collected chaff and immediately release the roasted beans... is this correct? If so, which of the extra parts offered are needed for this? And are the other extras simply meant to be replacements if you lose/break the originals?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, I did spend time looking through the forums but I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of the information here. Thanks in advance!

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: New to roasting, a few questions about the Huky
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
Hi and welcome!
Yes, these questions have been asked many times before. We're used to it. :)
1 and 2: Most of us logs the roasting data in Artisan (free software). There is plenty of information on how to setup and use it in both the forum and especially in the RESOURSES section. (Right column...)
The graphs drawn by Artisan makes it easier to understand what is happening during the roast and it's easy to compare and learn as you go along. I see data logging as an aid and think that you should develop your senses (smell and sight) too and not only rely on the graphs and numbers.
Data logging also makes it easier to show this community your roasts which is good for feedback.
If you want to do data logging, you should order the Huky with a digital ET probe (instead of the analogue temp meter seen in some pictures).
You can use either a digital temp meter (Mr. Li sells Center 301 or 304 meters at good prices.) which could be used as standalone meters. I.e you don't need a computer to make the readings, but it works very well as a computer interface too. Or you can use a Phidget 1048 (don't forget the acrylic case for it...) if you feel that you will always use a computer while roasting.
3: The second fan and a second sieve and funnel does make the roasting a lot more easy as the final part of the roasting goes very quickly. The final minute really needs your full attention and having to clean and rebuild part of the machine in that particular minute really takes your attention from the beans. Most of us buys a second set so that we have a dedicated bean cooling setup.
Apart from that many of us uses some kind of voltage control for the exhaust fan, which makes it easier to regulate airflow in different phases of the roast. It's highly recommend but not absolutely neccesary.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:41:54 PM »
Awesome, thank you so much for the clear and concise answer  ;D That was exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the same old questions over and over, everyone benefits from a more inclusive community!

If anyone else has any other perspectives I would love to hear them, but I feel like my questions were answered!

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:24:29 AM »
After looking briefly into the centre 304, I'm curious what the benefits are of choosing the phidget instead. Both interface with the computer but the centre provides the option for standalone monitoring, correct? I guess it might be a bit bulkier than a phidget and I didn't look into prices of each either. Just curious why not get a centre, it seems really nice to have.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »
The phidget is becoming a standard interface; and has one of the best response times according to the Artisan folks. That's what's on my local 60lb San Franciscan connected to Cropster.

I have two machines connected to Artisan, one with a Phidget the other with an Amprobe TMD-56. Phidget has less issues with interference (spikes) but lacks the digital display.

A meter connected to the Huky is real time whereas the Artisan display usually has a three second display. The meter is more accurate; phidget is more Artisan friendly.

There is also the BlueTherm Duo/Roastmaster combo that is the best IPad solution.

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »
That makes sense, thanks hankua!

I am putting together my list for the order now and there were just a few more things I was hoping someone could clarify:

1. What is the exhaust bowl? Is it recommended?

2. Is there a reason to get the Center 304 instead of the 301? As far as I could tell the 304 offers 4 input ports, but the Huky only provides 2 temperature readings. Is this correct?

Once I get these questions cleared up I'm ready to place my order. Really excited about this!

Offline HukyGnome

• Solid or Perf: Both - Current Perf
  • Serial Number: 714
  • Charge Weight : 350/454
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Jeff - there is a good photo of the exhaust hood (bowl) in the gallery section. You need this to vent. iIn regards to datalogging, I use the phidget, so don't really know the Center, but if you are to use digital for MET (maximum environment temperature), I think you will need the 304.

Welcome to the forum!
Ecclesiastes 7:8  Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 10:52:47 AM »
Awesome, thanks! I am glad to be here, everyone has been really helpful so far. I contacted Mr. Li yesterday to inquire about the order and saw the exhaust pics with his attached photos it makes perfect sense to me now.

All I have to do now is take the final plunge and place the order! Thanks again guys!

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
My Huky arrived today and it's as beautiful as I expected  ;D

I have almost everything assembled now and have two issues...

1) The grease syringe arrived broken and unusable. Would it be reasonably easy/cheap to buy replacement grease online (i.e. is there anything special about the grease sent with the Huky that I'd need to ensure a replacement also has)? I considered emailing Mr. Li about it but I thought I'd ask here first.

2) I can't figure out where to connect the third thermocouple. I see a large threaded hole on the front panel that seems like a good candidate, but I don't see how the thermocouple could ever fit there. The threaded hole is fairly large and the whole thermocouple can easily slide right through it. I don't know if I'm missing a part or if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:41:42 PM »
After lots of searching around I believe I understand my problem with question 2. There is supposed to be a brass adapter included to screw the thermocouple into that hole. I either did not receive the adapter or it was somehow thrown out with the shipping packaging (unlikely but possible). I suppose a third option is that I have it but haven't realized it... but that seems least likely of all  :P

I'm trying to decide if I should try to find/order a replacement adapter, buy a new thermocouple that can fit that threading (like this) or email Mr. Li.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:54:26 PM by jeffdt »

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »
The most simple thing to do is to buy them from Mr. Li. He has the items you need on shelf and sends the stuff in a normal "letter". Good prices, you get exactly the things needed and decently fast too.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
I have emailed Mr. Li... hopefully he won't actually require me to purchase them again since I already dropped ~1700 USD on my order :P

After measuring the threads on the thermocouple and the threaded hole on the front panel, I believe the adapter I need is a 1/4" female -> 1/2" male NPT coupler. I found them for sale at home depot for just 4 bucks so I will go grab one today if Mr. Li confirms whether this is what I need.

I'm also thinking about making a simple assembly guide when I'm all done to help new people understand how to put the Huky together. After a night of tinkering I realized it's not terribly complicated, but it's overwhelming when you first unpack everything. I couldn't find many threads about assembly so maybe it would help someone.

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
He replied to my email and said he would send a new syringe and adapter, which is great, but I would still like to know the part name so I can just buy it locally today and get roasting  ;D

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 11:38:17 PM »
The grease is " food grade" high temperature. The high temperature part is important as some will melt and drip; Amazon may have some. Superlube also makes a high temp version, all of theirs is food grade.

The brass bushing from HD is either going to fit or not, give it a try if they have it on the shelf. Another alternative is to plug the hole temporarily and don't worry about the ET until the part arrives, it's not a big deal.

Offline jeffdt

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
I was able to get some more info about the adapter from Mr. Li, if I'm reading this correctly it's an 8 mm  to 1/4 in. pipe threading adapter. I hit up home depot last night and basically walked in circles asking every employee in the store for help until it became obvious none of them knew what it was  :P

I'm attaching a pic of the adapter (bushing) that Mr. Li sent to me in case anyone in the future finds this thread and wants the info. It might be hard to find since it converts between metric and imperial units.

In the meantime, I decided to just let Mr. Li send me the replacements. Plugging the hole sounds like an easy fix, I'll give it a shot. I have 10 lbs of green beans coming so I can fail as many times as needed before I succeed  ;D

Thanks so much for your help as always guys, you're the best!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:29:56 AM by jeffdt »

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM