Author Topic: Accessory Buying List  (Read 6876 times)

Offline jmill_pdx

Accessory Buying List
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
Hey guys!

Placed an order for my Huky yesterday! I'm wanting to start ordering the accessories that will help me to hit the ground running with the Huky. Would anyone care to help put together a list (maybe with links or extra description as needed) of products you would recommend. I'm thinking I want a Variac (don't know which size or model would be appropriate), a Phidget, a cyclone, dwyer gas gauge, and am wanting to know what materials and adapters people have used to route from Kuanho's exhaust manifold to the outside. Please feel free to recommend additional useful things I left out as well.

Thanks guys

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Accessory Buying List
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
Welcome! Now the fun begins... :)
For starters, what did you order from Mr Li?
As you seem to have ordered an exhaust bowl, I guess that you will start out using that one in "standard" fashion to get started roasting. For a Variac, just about any size will do. (There are power ratings somewhere, but I use the smallest one available here in Europe. As you're in the US, the market for Variacs and choises and prices is much better there.)
Phidget 1048 with acrylic case, check.
I used the gas gague which came with the IR burner until it died on me one day. A Dwyer is better, but not needed to get started. (A tip for most gas gagues is that you can gently lift the top plastic glass and make indications with a marker on the white surface to make it easier to read.)
You don't say where you intend to place your roaster, nor what kind of wall you want to route the exhausts through. By the time the exhausts have gone as far as to the wall, they are not very hot (maximum 60C/140F), so even a plastic ventilation gate will do. Else there are similar ones made from tin sheets. I guess 4" is the readily available and it's more than enough.
I recommend you to get started with the standard exhaust system until you've learnt the roaster. If you want to use a cyclone, you'd better find a small fan to place on top of it. (Placing the exhaust fan/bowl upside down on a cyclone makes for a very top heavy apparatus and unless you tie it to a permanent place, it's not a good solution.) I guess that if I would make something like that today with my roaster, I'd go for a kitchen stove fan (just the fan, not the range hood) or a similar fan which can take somewhat hot air placed on the wall, with a vent outdoors and a vent hose down to the cyclone. The fan is to be controlled with the Variac as with the standard setup. It's just a matter of finding a fan that gives the cyclone setup an efficiency in the same ballpark as the standard setup. (As the cyclone setup is more complex, it also introduces more drag...)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:51:38 AM by edtbjon »
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
I use automotive exhaust pipe adapters to transition from the exhaust bowl to the outside vent. 90* 2.5"OD x 2.5"ID and 2.5"ID-3"OD stub. 3" aluminum flex duct from the roaster to the outside vent hook-up which in my case is straight 3" exhaust pipe with a 3" stainless roof cap available on EBay.

Depending on the setup elevating the bowl/roaster might be necessary; I'm using 2x4 blocks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:34:13 AM by hankua »

Offline Nikki

• Serial Number: 1099
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »
I use automotive exhaust pipe adapters to transition from the exhaust bowl to the outside vent. 90* 2.5"OD x 2.5"ID and 2.5"ID-3"OD stub. 3" aluminum flex duct from the roaster to the outside vent hook-up which in my case is straight 3" exhaust pipe with a 3" stainless roof cap available on EBay.

Depending on the setup elevating the bowl/roaster might be necessary; I'm using 2x4 blocks.

Just thought I'd chime in here with some helpful links. You may be able to find these pieces for cheaper elsewhere, but I am considering purchasing either an elbow adapter that will take the exaust bowl outlet diameter from 2.5" to 3" or using a straight one that has the same inlet/ outlet diameters. Here are the links:

Straight: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11169
Elbow: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11128

This website also has other reducers available with alternate outlet diameters. IE 2.5" to 4", depending on what your ducting diameter is.

Or....google search "silicone hose coupler" or "silicone hose reducer" :)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
Parts should be available locally.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM