Author Topic: jumping in the mix  (Read 7064 times)

Offline devitt

jumping in the mix
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
Hello All,

I ,like many before me, am jumping in to the roasting fun. I have done my research and that's what brought me here. Now my questions before I purchase the 500T.
My plan is to get the extra fan, tray, funnel. Debating whether to get both solid drum and perforate drum. If getting the solid drum I also need to get a second motor to run at 72rpm. Also thoughts on replacing the analog thermometer with a digital one. With that , which of the thermometers , 301?
Trying to get my bases cover in one order. I definitely am a newbie and have only sat in on some artisan roasters(5K) and watched them.
I have been wanting to start roasting for some time now and am finally making the leap. I would appreciate any input.
I look forward to this adventure.

thanks
devitt

Offline devitt

Re: jumping in the mix
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »
Thanks! Good point.

Offline Joey

• Seeking blueberry notes
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1130
  • J or T : T
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
Devitt,

if you want to track ET with artisan you'll definitely want a digital k probe rather than the analog. below was my order that I've been very pleased with:

Huky 500T
-Quick connect
-All digital K probes
-Perforated drum

Extras
-IR Stove (Propane)
-Exhaust Hood
-Fan
-Tray
-Funnel
-Probe (MET) digital

I really like the perforated drum as it allows me to very quickly make adjustments during my roast. The solid drum seems to be a little slower to react (which can be both a good and a bad thing).

I went with the Phidget rather than the center module, the phidget 1048 takes the probes and sends the data to your computer and artisan via USB. If you're not getting MET then you may not need the 4 sensor version.

good luck!

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Hi and welcome!

My suggestions are to set a budget and not get everything under the sun.

Secondly I would seek out a friendly member in LA and have a look first at a Huky setup. The machine will work fine with a bare minimum or all the extras; either way it's still a Huky.

My opinion on the drums is to order one or the other. If down the road you really want to experiment; then order the other set of parts. It's just too much to deal with in the beginning; you'll see what I mean after it arrives.

Even though I've never roasted on the perforated version; I was an early advocate of getting it for lighter roasted coffee. If you like coffee roasted on the lighter side/ultra light I think the perforated is a better choice. The reason I'm saying this is because of the increased convection thru the entire perforated drum.

If your intending to going commercial, the solid drum is a good choice for learning. The solid drum will have more conduction than the perforated; what most American artisan drum roasters use.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 05:51:27 AM »
welcome here !
No time to look at your questions, but it seems that you will have your answers :)

Offline AK

• Serial Number: 1073
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »

Secondly I would seek out a friendly member in LA and have a look first at a Huky setup. The machine will work fine with a bare minimum or all the extras; either way it's still a Huky.

This is very good advice, and I wish I had done this myself before starting my many days/nights of trial and error.  I would've spent even more if it weren't for the great info on this forum. 

In any case, you are more than welcome to checkout my setup if you think it'll be helpful.  I'm in the Pasadena area.

Offline devitt

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. AK I would love to check out your setup. I'm just over in Glendale. Heading to Seattle this week for work on Wednesday but be back this weekend.

Offline AK

• Serial Number: 1073
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. AK I would love to check out your setup. I'm just over in Glendale. Heading to Seattle this week for work on Wednesday but be back this weekend.

Sure no problem! 

Funny...I'll be in Oregon through the middle of next week, so let's touch base when we're both back in town.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM