Author Topic: Brewdude  (Read 9514 times)

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
Brewdude
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:24 AM »
Hi Huky-ites.   How did I know nothing about the Huky!  I've been roasting for years and thought I knew all the in's and out's.  Started burning beans in a hot air popper, I fashioned my own version of a Turbo Crazy roaster that served me for years.  About 3 years ago I bought a Behmor and have since suffered through panic at the moment I realize that 1C isn't complete and 1lb of coffee is about to be cooled to ruination with no option to extend the roast.  I've thought that one day I'd get a Hot Top, but wideasleep1 mentioned the Huky and I had no idea what he was talking about (I gotta get out more).  Anyway, I did some research and landed here.  I am fascinated by the roaster and just need a way for my Behmor to die an unfortunate death!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:35:51 AM by brewdude »
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
Re: Brewdude
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:13:21 AM »
Hey welcome :)
Been there done that... If you get the Huky you'll skip the Hottop/Gene step that so many of us have taken- and even though they are darn good roasters I don't think you'll have missed anything going from the Behmor to the Huky. Let the fun begin!
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:35:47 PM »
Behmor and Hottop were my previous roasters.... Both suck compared to the Huky. Bottom line
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline brew

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:55:46 AM »
Behmor and Hottop were my previous roasters.... Both suck compared to the Huky. Bottom line

Thanks for the unbiased comparison!  Nah...I'm joking..I know exactly what you mean when it comes to Behmor.  Haven't roasted on a Hot Top but I'll take your word for it.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline brew

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »
Lots of brewers on this forum. I am a professional brew taster (not really) so ship me anything you want professionally tasted (not really). Bombers or growlers, I don't discriminate! :D Welcome BD!

Yeah..I'm not a "pro" brewer in any discipline.  I was always afraid that making my hobby my career would make me hate my hobby or my career so I like to keep roasting and especially brewing at the hobby level although I've been actively brewing for about 20 years now.

Offline akiley

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 540
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:51 AM »

Kind of unfair.  :-). I've had all 3 too.  Behmor is good for the price.  Makes an awesome almond roaster for me.  It can also take a larger load than the Hottop' but near impossible to get a bean probe installed though it has been done.

Hottop is a good roaster, lots of followers, easy to probe, very good self contained unit.  What got me was to really roast well, you need like a 250g Max bean load.  AND I really got sick of it beeping LOUDLY whenever.  Too fast a ramp, charge me, I'm done drying your beans.  Some of the beeps are for safety, but my motherboard blew and no beeps, just full heat.  Lucky I didn't work in the yard listening for the beep, could have caused a big fire.  But you can do very good roasts with a Hottop, very very even.

Huky has its problems too.  Drum scraping the housing, beans getting jamed, ground, and dropped onto the burner, beans getting caught in the exhaust, chaff clogs.

BUT, I wouldnt go back!  I wanted a bigger roast load, and using gas and a real fan, shutter is lots of fun.  The fact that it's pre-probed, and looks like a beautiful sculpture has me sold.  Guess I should consider selling mt Hottop.
Huky, Hottop, Behmor, Andreja, Portapresso Rossa HC-P, Macap, Feldgrind

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM