Author Topic: Another newbie asking for an order review plus a couple of questions!  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Dogalish

Hi all,

I am finally just about ready to place my order with Mr Li and would really appreciate it if people could review my order list.  The list is based on what I have learned from reading through all of the threads on the pre purchase section and I think it is a pretty standard list but please let me know if I have missed anything. 

1 x Huky 500T
1 x solid drum
1 x 72 RPM motor
1 x Fan
1 x Tray
1 x Funnel
1 x gas stove for propane

Extras:

1 x exhaust hood
1 x extra fan
1 x extra tray
1 x extra funnel
1 x extra 72 RPM motor in housing
1 x Installed digital MET thermocouple
Include quick connect functionality

Alterations:

Replace analogue ET with an installed ET thermocouple
Angle the trier down (think this may be standard now anyway?)

I will let Mr Li know that I will be using the Huky in the UK but if anyone can help with these questions related to using in the UK that would be great:

1.  I understand that Mr Li will provide an adaptor for using with UK voltage so do I just need to let him know I am in the UK and he will include that automatically?

2.  Because I am in Europe I don’t think the standard green gas regulator will work with the gas tanks here.   I don't think that Mr Li provides a UK compliant regulator so I am just going to have to get my own?

3.  Does anyone have any experience of timescales/costs of importing to the UK?

I am planning to get a phidget and use with Artisan on my laptop so I am not ordering the Centre or the USB cable from Mr Li.   Also have decided to go with just the solid drum for now as figure it is best to become competent on the solid drum before complicating things further with introducing a different drum set up into the mix! 

I think I will also get a Variac or some sort of equivalent as from what I can gather, being able to control the fan speed can  make a massive difference to the roasting experience so that seems like a worthwhile addition to my set up. 

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/comfort that anyone is able to give!

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Another newbie asking for an order review plus a couple of questions!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
Hi and welcome to the club. :)
The order looks fine and I don't think that you've missed anything. (If so, I recon someone will chime in and correct it.)
First, I got some kind of adapter which should convert the US plugs into EU plugs, but they didn't really work. Anyhow, it's just a matter of swapping the plugs to those huge UK ones if they don't fit.
Second, about the gas regulator. You will most probably do excellent with just about any BBQ regulator. I don't know what are the "standard" in the UK for gas regulators, but here in Sweden it's 30 mBar (which is a bit low as 40-50 mBar will cover just about anything). If you go for a "barbed" hose connection (which Mr Li will ask about), things are very easy to exchange.
The time for delivery given by Mr Li is the time it takes for him to manufacture the roaster. You'll get a photocopy of the address sticker when he's at the postoffice. After that the roaster will be in the UK within a few days, but it's quite common for many of us to have to wait a few days for customs to clear the delivery. The shipping costs are the same for just about any international order. You will probably have to pay VAT, so just give Mr Li a hint about putting the cost of a "basic roaster" on the address slip. (This will save you a few quids...)

A Variac (clone) is nice, but not absolutely essential. There are e.g. routing speed adjusters which will do the job. What is essential for any kind of adjuster is repeatability. I.e. a decently big dial (I'd say something like a guitar volume knob or better.) is very nice.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Dogalish

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Thanks for that edtbjon, doesn't look like there are going to be any other responses so I'll take that as meaning my order is OK!  Off to compose my order email to Mr Li now!

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Wait wait wait.....
Have you specified that you want the analog thermometer at ET replaced with a digital thermocouple?

Nevermind:  I see you have it down at the bottom under Alterations.

Sorry....

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:26:54 AM by SusanJoM »
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline Dogalish

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:40 AM »
No problem SusanJoM, thanks for checking through my order!

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
I don't think you need an extra motor and housing, unless it's the alternate speed version. If you want a spare just order the motor, for a "just in case" situation. The little motors he's been using have held up pretty well so for.

Offline edpiep

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
If you go for a "barbed" hose connection (which Mr Li will ask about), things are very easy to exchange.

The shipping costs are the same for just about any international order. You will probably have to pay VAT, so just give Mr Li a hint about putting the cost of a "basic roaster" on the address slip. (This will save you a few quids...)

This is a helpful post, I got my list composed and will have it posted soon and...

I have some questions regarding the quotes. First, what is a "barbed" hose connection? Second, what is VAT and what is the correlation between that and the address slip? Thank you all for the info, it's appreciated!

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:56 AM »
If you go for a "barbed" hose connection (which Mr Li will ask about), things are very easy to exchange.

The shipping costs are the same for just about any international order. You will probably have to pay VAT, so just give Mr Li a hint about putting the cost of a "basic roaster" on the address slip. (This will save you a few quids...)

This is a helpful post, I got my list composed and will have it posted soon and...

I have some questions regarding the quotes. First, what is a "barbed" hose connection? Second, what is VAT and what is the correlation between that and the address slip? Thank you all for the info, it's appreciated!
A barbed hose connector is one of those jagged things that you press into a rubber/plastic hose (and preferably use a jubilee clip on the outside. Hmm, I'd better explain "Jubilee clip" too. :) That is (litterary) Queens English for "Hose Clamp"...)
VAT is the UK abbrev. for Sales Tax. I havn't read anything about this posing any problems when importing the roaster into the US, so don't worry about it. (Sale taxes in most European countries are some 20-25%, which amounts for quite a hefty sum on top of the roaster cost. Reducing the cost from say 400€ to 200€ is a huge saving.)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM