Forum > Sidebar

Remember The Henry Chang Challenge?

(1/1)

SusanJoM:
If not you can do a quick 'search', but the basic premise was to find the settings at which you could let your HUKY idle in a heated stage....

Anyway, Henry Chang's credentials just got a big boost:
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/hobbyist-roasters-professional-roasters-t43920.html#p499510

hankua:
And he does not use data logging; strictly manual the profiles are often not the norm.

I also own the identical machine he's using and understand the settings but often cannot duplicate them. There must be some small differences in the machines, environments, airflow??

For example in one of his profiles for a DP Ethiopian there is an extended drying period with a very low charge temperature. Actually the whole roast is run on the low side, both heat and air.

SusanJoM:

--- Quote from: hankua on November 09, 2016, 07:58:53 PM ---And he does not use data logging; strictly manual the profiles are often not the norm.

--- End quote ---

I am beginning to wonder if looking at the profiles right after the roast and before I taste the coffee is getting in my way, if what I see on the graph doesn't impact my appreciation ahead of the tasting???

hankua:
He's never used datalogging on the Mini, as far as I'm aware. It is possible to upgrade the pid on the machine with one with an output. It's a much easier roaster to use in every respect; and the control after the onset of first crack is awesome. I can roast a batch with the same gas setting all the way from the turning point to drop; just tweek the air dial a little. Nice if your lazy sometimes. ::)

The idea of running @ 6:30 end of drying and extended ramp to 1C, is quite the opposite of most profiles one would see online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version