Author Topic: Maintenance Documentation  (Read 12324 times)

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Maintenance Documentation
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
Wish someone, such as Edbtjon, would write and illustrate some basic maintenance steps and include the info from Mr Li to make sure the ceramic bearing is facing correctly.  Reassembly info is absolutely essential.

We are always hoping that members will -- as Kor Kiley did here:
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=39 --
step up and provide documentation that we can add to the forum.
This is not an activity which is limited to moderators and/or administrators.
I got some time on my hands during the next week or so... I'll try to compile a pdf with some pictures about dismantling and maintainence of our beloved Hukys. If any of you have some tips or opinions on the subject of maintainence, tool tips etc. feel free to contact me with a message.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline PabloElFlamenco

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1139
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400 grams...
Re: Maintenance Documentation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
edtbjon, that would be fabulous!....

In my ballpark, I'm going to the post office today 11:00 to pick up the second box from Mr. Li, my Huky was shipped in two boxes.  It all took a considerable while for the customs clearance department here in Belgium to get their act together...

The first box contained the Huky housing, fitted with a perforated drum.  I'd expected (hoped) it'd be fitted with the solid drum, but it wasn't.  And meanwhile, even though I have an extra motor etc., I learned it wasn't completely straightforward swapping drums and motors, but sooner or later, I will do it.

Meanwhile .... I'll learn to Huky-roast on the ... perforated drum!
The best coffee in this village...

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »
Excellent.

I would suggest information about the tool sizes needed for the various steps;  I don't think there are but a couple.  Mr. Li sends along tools which work but they are the barest minimum needed.

The ball socket tool that he sends for attaching the front door is good enough.  The wrench (allen? size?) that comes for removing the cover is definitely not up to the job;  a longer handle is definitely needed especially due to the softness of the metal and the propensity those screws have for being stripped.

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline navystan

• The perfect cup...complex, fruity, clean finish!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1158
  • Charge Weight : 300-400
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »
I offered to help edtbjon as well.  Maybe he writes up and I will make supporting videos.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Funny - I just happened to come on here in the midst of a full teardown of my Huky.  Getting ready for Holiday orders.  In addition I am putting the T-Pipe with the new adapter ring onto the roaster to try and speed up my time between roasts.  Let's see how it goes.....

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
Funny - I just happened to come on here in the midst of a full teardown of my Huky.  Getting ready for Holiday orders.  In addition I am putting the T-Pipe with the new adapter ring onto the roaster to try and speed up my time between roasts.  Let's see how it goes.....

Jeff,

Any possibility of documenting the process?  It would be very helpful if you could.

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »
Well, I got the parts for both the J and the T setup (as well as both drums...). I'll see to that both setups are documented (photographed) if needed. (E.g. cleaning that cast metal T section I suppose...)

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »
In the meantime I contacted Mr Li to see if he has any input.  Reminded him that he had done a great job last fall when I contacted him on the most glaring weakness of the Huky 500.  A very cumbersome connection in the exhaust.  After several months and iterations he came through with flying colors.  The resulting Quick Connect works like a charm.

Really complimented him on the information he recently imparted on the installation of the Ceramic Bearings.  Hope to hear from him on any suggestions or step-by-steps he may have on how best to maintain our machines.
Got my fingers crossed he will hurry so Edbtjon can incorporate it as an addendum to his work.

Hey this is exciting!  What really impresses me are the folks stepping up to the plate offering to help.  Thank You all.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »

Jeff,

Any possibility of documenting the process?  It would be very helpful if you could.

Cheers,

Wayne
Sorry Wayne!   I was so wrapped up in disassembly and reassembly today I didn't have time for photos etc.  Suffice it to say that I had the entire machine blown apart, cleaned the probes, soaked the bearings in acetone, scrubbed them with a toothbrush and re-greased them, fitted the T-pipe faceplate and the quick disconnect adapter (which did not fit well and I spent a great deal of time grinding down my T-pipe to fit).  I reassembled and ran the unit for about an hour to make sure no rubbing, and then refitted the shroud.  I cleaned the pipes with a brush and some coffee machine cleaner.  Whew!  I am back up and running and ready for some marathon roasting sessions over the next few days!

wish I could be more help....

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »

Jeff,

Cheers,

Wayne
Sorry Wayne!   I was so wrapped up in disassembly and reassembly today I didn't have time for photos etc.  Suffice it to say that I had the entire machine blown apart, cleaned the probes, soaked the bearings in acetone, scrubbed them with a toothbrush and re-greased them, fitted the T-pipe faceplate and the quick disconnect adapter (which did not fit well and I spent a great deal of time grinding down my T-pipe to fit).  I reassembled and ran the unit for about an hour to make sure no rubbing, and then refitted the shroud.  I cleaned the pipes with a brush and some coffee machine cleaner.  Whew!  I am back up and running and ready for some marathon roasting sessions over the next few days!

wish I could be more help....

No problem Jeff.  Good to hear you're back up and running so quickly. Happy holiday roasting!  :)

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

I just did a search on the bearings and it was reported last year that the bearings cost $18.00 with $5.00 shipping.  I don't know if that is current or not, but it's certainly ball park.

Also, someone at HB was inquiring about a propane IR stove, and I inquired of Mr. Li as to the shipping costs.  The stove is $99;  shipping costs just under $60 to USA/Canada.

Whoops.  the stove isn't maintenance, but....now the information is here and can be searched for at least....

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
Hello again.  Just coming up for air - I have done 40 roasts over the last 2 days post my teardown and maintenance, including re-fitting the T exhaust setup.  I am very happy to report that although I ran the machine consistently for 7+ hours both yesterday and today - I had no issues whatsoever!  Bearings ran quiet, no clogs with the T pipe, just back to back great roasts.  Amazing that this little roaster can perform so well with this much back to back use.  I ordered backup bearings, fan motors and probes  so that I have some spare parts available while this is still my main roaster.    For those of you on the fence about purchasing a Huky - feel confident that it is a solid machine if you take care of it! 

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:26 AM »
Just so that you know, that document can now be found in the dowloads section. :)

Offline Jo

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 899
  • J or T : T-config
  • Charge Weight : 450 g
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
I've had my Huky for little over a year now and I have around 27 roast hours.

Will be following this topic, because I'd like to know how to do some serious maintenance besides the daily chaff vacuuming.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:13:58 AM by Jo »

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
I've had my Huky for little over a year now and I have around 27 roast hours.

Will be following this topic, because I'd like to know how to do some serious maintenance besides the daily chaff vacuuming.

Thanks!
As mentioned above the maintenance document is to be found in the Downloads section. Now in the second version with some small updates on how to get the bearings out in one piece...
//Björn

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM