Author Topic: What to buy!  (Read 14267 times)

Offline MedicMan613

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • J or T : T
What to buy!
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a Huky roaster. I have sent Mr.Li an email with my intent to buy and he sent me back an email with pictures and all parts offered. Just looking for help with this to change or add before I place the order!

I am looking to purchase the 500T but am not sure what else to order with it. I would like to have full control with Artisan or similar software. I also want to have complete digital temperatures. What do I say to have the analog thermometer replaced? Here is my order list:

- Huky 500T (Does this come with a solid drum or perforated?)
- Infrared stove
- USB cable
- Exhaust hood
- Extra tray
- extra fan
- extra funnel

Source from elsewhere:
-Variac
- Phidget with casing

This is what he sent me back as options:

The price of Huky 500T is 1180 USD  (not including choose appurtenance & shipping fee)
Standard appurtenance: T diversion pipe,fan,tray,funnel,AC adapter,tool

choose appurtenance: 1.Digital thermometer:Artisan supported devices: 
                                         https://code.google.com/p/artisan/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount

a.Center 300 Thermometer(Single input)-----66 USD
                                       b.Center 301 Thermometer(Dual input)-------78 USD
                                       c.Center 304Thermometer(Four input)-------112 USD
                                       d. USB cable(Connecting to Computer  )------24 USD

2.Infrared stoves (with Needle valve & Gas Pressure gauge ) : 99USD
                                   3.Exhaust hood(attach picture)-----------49 USD
                                   4.Extra probe (MET)------------------------18USD
                                   5.Extra tray-----------------------------------16 USD
                                   6.Extra fan------------------------------------48 USD
                                   7.Extra funnel--------------------------------14 USD
                                   8.Extra motor set(Motor,Box,Switch)---78 USD
                                   9.Extra motor---------------------------------20 USD
                                   10.Extra drum---------------------------------98 USD
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:18:14 AM by MedicMan613 »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Re: What to buy!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
Have you decided whether you will order a solid or a perforated drum?
That's probably your first major decision.

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline MedicMan613

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
I am not entirely sure yet. Looking for suggestions from those who have used both.

Offline MedicMan613

Verify my order please!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Hello all,

I have done a bit more reading and I think I have figured out my order. I am looking for some feedback or suggestions before I order.

Huky 500T with 72rpm motor and solid drum.

Digital BT, ET, MET installed
Extra Funnel
Extra Fan
Extra Exhaust hood
Extra Cooling tray and sieve
Infrared stove
USB cable (is this needed?)

The rest will be sourced elsewhere.
Variac controller
Phidgit

I live in Canada, is there any recommendations for where to order the Variac and Phidgit? USA or Canada sources.

Thanks all, can't wait to start!

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
Fast work ! !

No, you don't need that USB cable if you are going to order a Phidget.  Phidget is located in Canada;  easy to order from direct;  there are links in the Resources section.

And, are you sure you need/want a second 'exhaust bowl'?  I don't think I've ever seen two put to use, and it's not cheap, so.....just checking.

Offline MedicMan613

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
Thought I remembered seeing one with it... Hey,  if I don't need it I will pass. **extra exhaust bowl, your cut from the team..."

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
You need one exhaust bowl, it's an option only.
In other words, keep the exhaust bowl in the order.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:19:34 AM by hankua »

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 04:31:48 AM »
About the solid vs. perf. drum question, you simply have do decide on one of the setups. The idea is to use one setup and learn the roaster and roasting with it.
Personally, I bought my Huky with a solid drum only and stayed with that for some 15 months. I then ordered a perforated drum etc which I used for some 8 months... The transition was rather simple, as I by then had several hundred roasts under my belt. (I'm back to a solid drum setup now, as I feel more in my comfort zone with that drum, but I get/got excellent results with both setups.)
What I'm trying to say here is that you will learn roasting with either setup and that you don't have to have any regrets in choosing one over the other. But do stick with one setup for a long time.
(The problem with trying to compare the two setups is that in order to produce the very best results, you have to "know your roaster", i.e having the touch and feel for that particular machine and how to apply the intended roast profile. I don't think it's possible to on the same day rebuild your roaster and achieve the same confidence for the now different machine and produce the very best with that new setup.
What about two machines in a Huky laboratory! :) Nice idea, but if I had that kind of spare time and money, I'd most probably upgrade to a larger and heavier roaster.)
There's been some discussions on exhaust fan control lately. Personally I do think that something to control the fan speed will make life (at least roasting :) ) easier, as the exhaust fan is very strong and quite noisy at full speed. While a Variac (clone) is nice, it's also overkill. The main thing is to get repeatability. Something smaller and cheaper like a good quality "router speed controller" would probably get you there.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
Okay, there seems to be some confusion about the exhaust bowl.  You do want ONE.  You don't want TWO. 

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »
The main thing is to get repeatability.

Okay, I'm the questioning voice on a couple of counts:  I have come to suspect that external fan control is unnecessary, I think that 'repeatability' is overrated (for home roasters), and I now suspect that the problem with small charge weights spring from an overdependence on telemetry rather than a limitation of the HUKY itself. 

The dogma has been repeated often enough that this forum could easily be shut down unless there is reason to pursue other possibilities. 

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:28:34 AM »
Of course external fan control is not necessary; so long as you don't mind listening to a little jet engine. It is rather annoying  :o

Just a simple light dimmer for a few dollars works fine, except for noise in Artisan. Then the router control; it kind of boils down to convenience and ear comfort.

Offline MedicMan613

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Of course external fan control is not necessary; so long as you don't mind listening to a little jet engine. It is rather annoying  :o

Just a simple light dimmer for a few dollars works fine, except for noise in Artisan. Then the router control; it kind of boils down to convenience and ear comfort.

I think I have decided to stay clear of the Variac for now  I feel as though I will definately use fan adjustment in my roasts however I am happy with a low/med/high. I will purchase a light dimmer and work with that for now.

Offline MedicMan613

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
Went ahead and sent Mr.Li the funding  this AM and have received confirmation from him. Very excited now! I will be sourcing 20lbs of inexpensive beans and playing with one variable at a time to learn the roaster. Once the 20 lbs are "burned" through and if I feel comfortable I will move up to higher quality beans. If not, I will order more low quality to continue getting the basics :) can't wait!

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
I will purchase a light dimmer and work with that for now.

I think you do want a controller but not a light dimmer.  Look and see what the power regulator is that GregR has been using forever.  I think it is still the gold standard for non-Variac control of your fan. 

Offline MedicMan613

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
I will purchase a light dimmer and work with that for now.

I think you do want a controller but not a light dimmer.  Look and see what the power regulator is that GregR has been using forever.  I think it is still the gold standard for non-Variac control of your fan.

Thanks Susan, I have sent him a message.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM