Author Topic: 1st post popper roast  (Read 5607 times)

Offline IRB123

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1231
  • J or T : T
1st post popper roast
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
After watching videos, reading books, I went into this thinking I can learn and be a little better informed as I learn new material and relearn what I've already read/watched. So, using the basics I've learned so far, I dove right in! These are the beans I used as I hadn't really enjoyed them so far, will taste in the next few days to see what I've got as far as that.

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Unroasted-Coffee-Specialty-Nicaraguan/dp/B014THN4OI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489770038&sr=8-3&keywords=nicaragua+green+coffee

I am just looking for a good critique, from as basic as it gets on up, on what I should be doing differently. I'll leave out any thoughts I have, because I don't want to assume anything being so new. I understand proof is in the cup, but I know from this starting point everyone will be able to point out some glaring discrepancies. Sidenote, I dropped #1 about a minute before I hit the button. Thank you all very much!

Offline IRB123

Re: 1st post popper roast
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
Pic of Roast #1

Offline IRB123

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
Pic of Roast #2

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:34:58 PM »
The beans look a little uneven, which could be "the beans" or the photography, who knows? You can brew you roasts up right away or the next day; don't have to wait any longer than that.

It's king of an extended profile, so I'd expect good development and hopefully a little sweetness. Are there any origin notes, fruity/acidic etc.?

I'd also stop buying beans on Amazon, and use Bodi Leaf sale items (need to sign up for email notifications), Sweet Maria's, or one of the other specialty green vendor for home roasters.

Bet you really stoked.  ;D

Offline IRB123

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
Thanks Hank. I realize now I shouldn't have posted this haha. It's all over the place, but as I said, it gave me insight into what I was reading. It was kinda like reading Chinese in a lot of ways before this. But, the guys at work thought batch #1 tasted great when I put it in the drip pot later that evening after grinding it with a blender I shook up and down lmao  :-X I guess that's what you get after so many years of giant jugs of preground folgers. I convinced them to buy a burr grinder and pay for my greens while I learn, so I say these roasts were a success!

Offline IRB123

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Here's a roast I just did, maybe a little more open to criticism since it isn't the WHOLE ROAST that went awry. So, this time, I welcome any tips/criticism with open arms. Thank you!

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
I'd say you went from beginner to expert in 2 roasts  ;D
Just looking at the phase numbers and assuming that's a natural/dry processed Ethiopian you should expect tons of fruit or floral or berries- whatver was in there you'll get. Next time maybe go a tiny bit shorter in the middle and end phase if you like a brighter coffee. Longer in the final phase if you like a more chocolately cup, but not too much more or you risk muting the fruit and acidity. That roast would probably make a great espresso too.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline IRB123

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
Haha thanks man, maybe it was because I was using your Rao curve guide on that one! It was a washed Ethiopian from approx 2000m. So, in the hope to learn something out of it, how would I go about shortening those phases without screwing up the declining ROR? Slightly higher charge? Or hit the gas hard at charge? Thanks again for the tips and taking the time on those guides!

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
You're very welcome- glad you got some use of it.
Thanks to Artisan you don't have to take 50 roasts to get where you want to be.
Even though it's not a dry processed bean I'll suggest charging at a lower temp and don't worry if that lengthens the time to 300F. 5:00 would be fine there. After that you should raise the heat higher (I'm sure you knew that), like to roughly 50%, then continue as you did (using bean temp and start/finish of first crack as milestones). Even 3:30 in the middle phase would taste good but I usually aim for 3:45-4:00. At the end of first crack you might want to raise the fan very high (75-100%) and kill the heat altogether, or wait 15 seconds or so, then kill it, then coast to your desired amount of development time. By dramatically lowering the heat at the end you keep the bean temp from shooting up, which is what it would do otherwise.
It really comes down to your taste preference- that roast profile you posted may just float your boat perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:03:22 AM by Gregr »
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM