Author Topic: 1st Crack and 2nd Crack Temps  (Read 17347 times)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
1st Crack and 2nd Crack Temps
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
What 1st crack and 2nd crack temps do you see with your setup?
200c/392f is where I'm seeing 1st crack.
Haven't hit 2nd crack yet. :o

Offline wideasleep1

• Solid or Perf: Solid w/ Flax Oil Seasoning
  • Serial Number: 562
Re: 1st Crack and 2nd Crack Temps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:19:11 PM »
No 2C!!??!! LOL! Risk-averse, are we?  8) Secondly, curious if folks are intending to go C or F when they routinely use HUKY/Artisan...maybe my 2nd grade teacher was right..and we WILL all go metric.

SusanJoM

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:43:29 AM »
No 2C!!??!! LOL! Risk-averse, are we?  8) Secondly, curious if folks are intending to go C or F when they routinely use HUKY/Artisan...maybe my 2nd grade teacher was right..and we WILL all go metric.

One of the nice things (amazing  in fact) about Artisan is that you can go back and forth between C and F and convert data from one to the other.  I started out using it in Celsius but changed back to F simply because that many more of the profiles I was looking at were in F and I decided I didn't need to buck that tide.  If I had my druthers we would all be using C because it is so much simpler, but I think I'm committed to using F for now.

As to Second Crack?  I even decommissioned the button for it in Artisan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:45:45 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:59:15 AM »
I'm also not a 2nd cracker ;) I prefer the light roasts  8)

I have been into 2nd crack multiple times though roasting dark for a few friends that asked me to.

I normally hit 1st between 370-390 F...Dependent on the bean....I have a Kenya peaberry that cracks around 360 (only coffee i've had 1st crack that low)

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:10:14 AM »
Fear not second crack! Just choose your bean wisely. For many months I've been dropping the beans at various development times between 2:30 and 3:30, always for espresso. Results were frequently excellent but a couple weeks ago I decided to take a central (Honduras Finca La Gloria) to the very beginning of second crack and it was outstanding.
First crack generally comes right around 197C/387F for me. Second crack comes in at 222.7-223.8C/433-435F.
I use an app called Unit Converter Pro for the C to F conversion.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline az erik

• I roast beans and tires.
  • Solid or Perf: Drum
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
1c 393-405  2c 438-442  (Totally depending on bean and ambient temp)
I havn't dropped any later than 442 and that didn't get very oily, it was just as 2c started to roll. Good thing the Huky fan can slam cool  or at least stop the progression.
Home:Huky - S1 - Compak K6 -
Work: Areopres w/disk - Skerton

Offline dickcoffee

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 454
  • Charge Weight : 1 pound
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »
I get 1st crack pretty consistently around 390F.  The one time I roasted a pound of Sweet Maria's French Roast blend I wanted at least a minute of second crack.  It started at 442F.

No roasting today though.  It's snowing and the wind chill is about -30F.  I set my Huky up in the heated basement but I have to leave the door cracked for the vent hose and it's too darn cold and windy for that.
Dick

SusanJoM

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »
Does the temperature at which the beans "crack" actually have anything to do with the roaster? 

Seems to me that that would be entirely determined by the bean itself, but I'm  used to being wrong, so please clue me in.

Offline zivsade

• Solid or Perf: Both drums - currently using the solid
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
Does the temperature at which the beans "crack" actually have anything to do with the roaster? 

Seems to me that that would be entirely determined by the bean itself, but I'm  used to being wrong, so please clue me in.

The Temperature depends on the bean type, the profile and the thermocouple used. Since most of us use the thermocouple that was installed by Mr. Li - we have similar Temperature for each event - 1Cs,
1Ce, 2Cs...

Offline dickcoffee

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 454
  • Charge Weight : 1 pound
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »

I think the machine and the type of thermocouple do make a difference.  My experience before the Huky was mostly on an RK drum.  I rigged it with an open bead end K type thermocouple and digital thermometer from Sweet Maria's.  This: http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/roast-coffee/roasting-supplies/thermometer/digital-thermometer-with-thermocouple.html.

With this I typically get 1cs at 410F and 2cs at 460.  It comforted me that the temps Sweet Maria's showed for bean development during the roast paralleled my experience on the RK. 

I have one of those thermometers hooked up to my MET probe installed by Mr. Li to monitor my MET since my Roastmaster only has 2 connections.   If I ever switch over to the solid drum, I plan to use Roastmaster to monitor MET and BT and then I'll use the other thermometer to monitor ET.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:55:49 AM by dickcoffee »
Dick

Offline az erik

• I roast beans and tires.
  • Solid or Perf: Drum
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

The Temperature depends on the bean type, the profile and the thermocouple used. Since most of us use the thermocouple that was installed by Mr. Li - we have similar Temperature for each event - 1Cs,
1Ce, 2Cs...

And oddly almost no matter what I do I can't get my probes to read dead on. I can get + or - about 10 degree F. not any closer with my Center301
Home:Huky - S1 - Compak K6 -
Work: Areopres w/disk - Skerton

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
"And oddly almost no matter what I do I can't get my probes to read dead on. I can get + or - about 10 degree F. not any closer with my Center301"

Is this comparing ET/BT/MET?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM