Forum > Data Logging

Phidgets SNAFU

(1/4) > >>

SusanJoM:
If you are just now installing a Phidget to use with Artisan, you will find that the most current library (v22) is not going to work for you.  You will have to go and find and download the previous library (v21).  This is gonna trip a lot of people up, but as far as I can tell, the old library is available here:

https://www.phidgets.com/docs21/Software_Overview

beananimal:
Hello Susan,
it sounds strange and currently I don't understand it and did not see it somewhere else

Therefore some questions, hoping that you have more information so that I can get the point.
Is this only for specific sensors, e.g. 1048 ?
Is this about the Phidgets libraries which are pre-programmed as firmware?
Or are these libraries to be replaced in the Artisan software package ?

Is this only with new bought Phidgets
( I just ordered pressure sensors, they should be "stupid" parts (?) ),
or is it related to the Artisan version?

Chert:
It is not clearly stated in what I read as to whether there is firmware that changes.  The coding for communicating from the device has been very significantly overhauled is what I read here:

https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Upgrading_Code_from_Phidget21_to_Phidget22

SusanJoM:
My interchange with Marko on the subject of the new VINT Phidgets:

Susan,
those new Phidgets are not supported yet by Artisan. They were just released now and Phidget contacted me on this just yesterday. They will send some devices over to me, but I have no idea when I will find the time to add support for those. The situation is worse as they also changed the software API (for new and old devices) fundamentally such that I also have to rework the whole (large) implementation for the old phidgets.
Not sure if I can find time for this anytime soon, or at all.
Sorry,
Marko

Does this impact my use of the 1048 Phidget for example?

Yes, in a way. If you upgrade your Phidget driver to v22 Artisan will fail to talk to your 1048. You should keep v21 installed for now. The problem is more for new users that download and install the Phidget driver. They will get by default v22. The old version is quite well hidden on their pages now. I expect a lot of user support work here.

Bottom line as far as I can tell is DO NOT upgrade to v22. 

trumz:
Good to know!  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version