Forum > Roasting

NG not enough energy to roast on IR stove?

(1/5) > >>

Igneous88:
I was able to hook up the NG line in my house to the IR stove with larger orifices for NG.  I'm posting my two roasts from this morning.  My first roast was a batch weight of 454g with a weight loss of 18.3 percent.  The second batch was a 300g batch that had weight loss around 16%.  With the larger batch, I was full throttle on the gas, which was a little over 1 kpa.  Is NG on the IR just not strong enough to get the ROR where I need it to be.  If not, would you try switching out the stove, or just go with propane at this point?  All I would have to do is switch out the orifices back to the LPG ones that were sent with the stove. I haven't had a chance to cup as of now, but they definitely smell good...

Let me know if I'm not displaying something correctly or if you have questions.  Thanks!

hankua:
I think you are running low with the NG. 1kPa is only converting to 4" of water column. A general google search is showing an average of 7" of water column for US households.

7" wc converts to 1.74kPa question is what is the pressure your getting? And is 7" wc enough to roast 325g in 12 minutes or less?

There are smaller LPG cylinders available in case you have to change over, and move them in and out for each session. Depends on how often your roasting and how much convenience factors in.

Edit: What about trying a 250g roast using the 1kPa gas?

Igneous88:
Since my target batch size is >400g, I'm going to switch over to propane.  I bought the tank today and a regulator.  Is there anything in particular besides switching over the orifices, having a propane tank, and regulator that I need to do before I start roasting?  Are there special regulators people use?  I just have the one that comes with a grill type regulator.

hankua:
Well, that's an interesting question as most all of the roasters are supplied with a green Taiwan LPG regulator that can reach 4-4.5 kPa.

Is a standard regulator that maxes out at 3kPa good enough? Probably so, although it would be good to hear from someone who's used both.

Igneous88:
Yea, I was wondering the same thing last night when I turned the stove on and only got 3 kpa.  I'm going to e-mail Mr. Li and see about the regulator he sends with the stove.  Also, if I have the capability of getting 4 - 4.5 kpa, does that mean you would get the a pressure gauge that maxes at 3.75 or would you get one that goes to 6 kpa? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version