Forum > Pre Purchase

Looking to Upgrade Have No Clue What to Add

(1/2) > >>

bradenl123:
Hey everyone,

My name is Braden I am 25 and live in El Paso Texas. I have been roasting on the Freshroast SR 500 for 5 years and wanted to upgrade. I was originally looking at Mill City and BC but came to the conclusion that is just too much money for me right now. I have scoured the HB forums and have decided the Huky is probably the best for me. Two questions: What on earth do I add? My main goal is to be able to profile consistently and learn how to roast in a professional way on a smaller footprint. What are the recommended upgrades for someone who wants to make a single purchase and have no limitations in the end? Also, how easy is this to put together? I have really no mechanical knowledge.

Thanks,

Braden

SusanJoM:

--- Quote from: bradenl123 on August 15, 2017, 11:47:26 AM ---Hey everyone,

My name is Braden I am 25 and live in El Paso Texas. I have been roasting on the Freshroast SR 500 for 5 years and wanted to upgrade. I was originally looking at Mill City and BC but came to the conclusion that is just too much money for me right now. I have scoured the HB forums and have decided the Huky is probably the best for me. Two questions: What on earth do I add? My main goal is to be able to profile consistently and learn how to roast in a professional way on a smaller footprint. What are the recommended upgrades for someone who wants to make a single purchase and have no limitations in the end? Also, how easy is this to put together? I have really no mechanical knowledge.

Thanks,

Braden

--- End quote ---

A HUKY just won't fit your stated goals.
I have no idea what roaster would, but I am quite sure the HUKY won't.
Which is too bad, because it is a great little roaster....
Good luck.

edtbjon:
As Susan said, the Huky is a great little roaster. The pros AND cons is its small size, weight and footprint. The Mill City TJ-66 weighs in at 100lbs+ and about twice the cost. If your aim is to learn how to roast like a pro, you'd need the consistency that comes with the mass holding the roaster at a stable temp.
The whole idea of profiling is first and foremost to be able to duplicate a roast. Unless you can do that it's hard to tweak with control. The "duplicate" part is a bit harder on the Huky, as the roaster weighs say 10lbs and even the slightest variation of e.g room temperature will affect the roaster. Having said that, you can in my opinion definitely learn just about all aspects of profiling and "professional style" roasting on the Huky. Once you've learnt how to control and tweak the roast and roaster, I think the results from the Huky can be compared to a professional roaster. But first and foremost it does come down to you and your abilities.

In this forum there are plenty of discussions on how to configure the Huky, so please spend a couple of days browsing the forum. That will give you lots of ideas to compare with your intended roaster setup. A standard setup with two fans etc. is a good starting point. Get a good "router controller" (instead of the Variac that many of us uses, but which is overkill) and you will be good.

bradenl123:
Perhaps I explained myself wrong. My intention originally was to get a TJ-066, 067, BC-300, or BC-600. After speaking with my family I realized that learning the craft first and foremost would the route to go. I then narrowed down my results to a Huky, Quest, or Hottop. I have roasted on an SR500 so any upgrade is an upgrade. What I desire it the ability to roast quality beans and learn the trade as I go. I want the ability to hone in on a skill and reach my peak with whatever roaster I chose. I know the Huky is gas and gas has the ability to change on a dime which will aid in profiling. I am not concerned with repeatability 100% of the time which is probably what having a 067 is able to do with the larger thermal mass. My question should have been. I want a Huky what do I need to start out so that I won't need to get pieces here and there. The end all be all of Huky. I don't know what a perforated drum vs a standard drum will do aside from more airflow. I know I need MET, BT, and ET probes but what are the 306 and 302 or whatever on the "Pricing and FAQ" basically I am asking for a standard set up for one who wants to dive into the roasting world.

Thanks,

Braden

SusanJoM:

--- Quote from: bradenl123 on August 15, 2017, 04:32:26 PM --- I want a Huky what do I need to start out so that I won't need to get pieces here and there. The end all be all of Huky. I don't know what a perforated drum vs a standard drum will do aside from more airflow. I know I need MET, BT, and ET probes but what are the 306 and 302 or whatever on the "Pricing and FAQ" basically I am asking for a standard set up for one who wants to dive into the roasting world.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if anyone is using their HUKY with parts sourced only from Mr. Li.   I seriously doubt it.  Most of us have different gauges, different fans, different exhaust set-ups.

306 and 302 are iterations of the Center data logging stuff Mr. Li sells.

And for the rest of it you can glean if you read through all of the Before You Buy threads for questions asked and answered pre-purchase.

Enjoy your research.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version