Forum > Pre Purchase

Estimated Cost after Mods and Tools For Maintenance etc. etc.

<< < (2/2)

bradenl123:
Thank you. Yeah as much as I desperately want a BC-1 or a TJ-066 I can't justify the 1600$ thats a new espresso machine, a portaspresso, a new HG-1 grinder, a lever machine, you get the point. I believe I will get the standard with no extra motor or drum. I will get the solid with 72 motor. I like the idea of adding some insulation and wondered if Mr. Li would add a .5"-1" stainless steel duplicate of what is already the body (if that makes sense...like a shell...essentially what the fat husky mod was for the drum but for the Huky itself.)  and then I can stuff high temp insulation inside of it (just to make it look more elegant...I have seen the insulation mods  ;D) I want to roast max capacity eventually so probably getting the 5.0kpa would be good. It is funny because I read all this stuff about gas and it makes me nervous and I have grown up in house with oxygen tanks and propane tanks down in the basement with no ventilation (my mom makes lampwork beads in a torch...nothing to do with lamps) but reading all this stuff about gas has me nervous. I am roasting in my garage with garage door open and I am roughly 3 feet away from door...Should I store propane tank outside and what is the average tank size people are getting (what supplier as well)?

Sorry for the rant,

Braden

edtbjon:
You don't need a big gas tank, as the Huky burner is very efficient. I use a 2kg (4.5lb) small tank in my kitchen and that tank will last for several months. Even a tank in the 20-40lb range is portable, so lugging it in and out of the garage shouldn't be a problem. (A 20lb tank should last at least a year if roasting for yourself and family.)
If you adapt normal precautions, like checking your connections with soapy water now and then, you should be fine with roasting in a garage. If the door is open, the gas should find its way out as its heavier than air.
Just for the fun of it, I just found and ordered a small electronic propane sensor, which I'll hook up to to an Arduino. If you arn't inclined to messing with electronics and programming, there are gas detection devices available online somewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version