Author Topic: Estimated Cost after Mods and Tools For Maintenance etc. etc.  (Read 23232 times)

Offline bradenl123

Estimated Cost after Mods and Tools For Maintenance etc. etc.
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
I have read through all the maintenance and mods forums and wondered what is the actual cost of the Huky? It seems that the standard set up is around 1600 and then around 1800 for another drum and motor. After reading the forums it seems like I also need a new gauge ( Dwyer 3.5 or 5.0), something similar to a variac (rose city speedster), maybe a cyclone, a new regulator for the propane tank, better tools for maintenance, extra lube, gas teflon tape, and insulation. Have I missed anything? So would it be closer to 2000$?

I am still debating the BC-1 and the TJ-066. I honestly love the look of the Huky and the fact that in maybe 10-20 years Mr Li won't be making them then they become nostalgic and possibly collectible. Susan, I have seen your posts about the same debate and that is what I am going through. I plan on learning how to roast before going bigger and that might be awhile (a few years) Can the Huky make really nice City roasts? Will I get the itch to upgrade within a few months or years? (Years is okay)

Thanks,

Braden

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Re: Estimated Cost after Mods and Tools For Maintenance etc. etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
Look at the Pricing and FAQs in the Resources section.

I stuck with the HUKY. 
I don't think there is a better roaster for me.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:33:46 PM by SusanJoM »
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
Maybe I misspoke. I have almost read everything on this forum. I am familiar with the pricing and faqs. I am asking what have most users spent in total since buying their Huky? Yes, 1600-1800 seems to be the normal initial price but after all the modifications and tools for maintenance what is the realistic price I am looking at. As I stated, it looks like most of the things I mentioned above are highly encouraged if not necessary for more control of the roaster. I am still contemplating between the BC-1, Huky 500, and TJ-066. Yes, price seems to be the biggest factor but what has everyone spent roughly since buying it?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
One setup will take you a long way. With that I mean that you only need to order one drum/motor combo. While you are learning the aspects of both using the Huky and roasting various beans, trying to minimize other factors is a must. You cannot fix a roasting problem by switching drum setup, as you have to learn the new dynamics of the now different roaster.
Given that, I recon that $1600-1800 is just about right. Apart from the order from Mr Li, a fan speed regulator (You already got yourself a Variac) and a TC interface (Phidget in your case) is pretty much standard. You don't need to upgrade the gas gague, but it's nice. :) (I got me a better one when the original broke down after a year...) You seem to be aware of maybe needing a slightly better gas regulator too.
While on the subject, the only spare parts that I really needed was one TC and the above mentioned gas gague. I have roasted on my Huky for almost three years now.

I guess many of us have contemplated the other roasters you mention. For myself, if I decide to upgrade, it will be to a larger roaster (a TJ-67 or larger). But the Huky is good enough for me to do any type of roast that I want to do, from very light roasts to dark roasts.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
To add to the previous responses, I didn't buy any extra or spare items from Mr. Li.  Variac, Phidget, propane adapter were additions. I've since made only two additional purchases; a quick disconnect and a special made T pipe without dampers.  Both were shipped very quickly and the shipping costs didn't give me heartburn.  I don't see any reason personally to store extra parts for the Huky.  My total investment is around $1900.  I didn't replace the original regulator either but I did buy an adapter for the propane tank (there is an image of it on this forum).  Considering other roasters is good but you aren't comparing apples to apples.  The TJ066 is a $3500 machine plus tax and shipping.  A stock Huky with a couple extras will provide you with some very nice roasts across the spectrum.  In my opinion of course.   :P

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Thank you. Yeah as much as I desperately want a BC-1 or a TJ-066 I can't justify the 1600$ thats a new espresso machine, a portaspresso, a new HG-1 grinder, a lever machine, you get the point. I believe I will get the standard with no extra motor or drum. I will get the solid with 72 motor. I like the idea of adding some insulation and wondered if Mr. Li would add a .5"-1" stainless steel duplicate of what is already the body (if that makes sense...like a shell...essentially what the fat husky mod was for the drum but for the Huky itself.)  and then I can stuff high temp insulation inside of it (just to make it look more elegant...I have seen the insulation mods  ;D) I want to roast max capacity eventually so probably getting the 5.0kpa would be good. It is funny because I read all this stuff about gas and it makes me nervous and I have grown up in house with oxygen tanks and propane tanks down in the basement with no ventilation (my mom makes lampwork beads in a torch...nothing to do with lamps) but reading all this stuff about gas has me nervous. I am roasting in my garage with garage door open and I am roughly 3 feet away from door...Should I store propane tank outside and what is the average tank size people are getting (what supplier as well)?

Sorry for the rant,

Braden

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:56 AM »
You don't need a big gas tank, as the Huky burner is very efficient. I use a 2kg (4.5lb) small tank in my kitchen and that tank will last for several months. Even a tank in the 20-40lb range is portable, so lugging it in and out of the garage shouldn't be a problem. (A 20lb tank should last at least a year if roasting for yourself and family.)
If you adapt normal precautions, like checking your connections with soapy water now and then, you should be fine with roasting in a garage. If the door is open, the gas should find its way out as its heavier than air.
Just for the fun of it, I just found and ordered a small electronic propane sensor, which I'll hook up to to an Arduino. If you arn't inclined to messing with electronics and programming, there are gas detection devices available online somewhere.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM