Forum > Data Logging

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated

(1/3) > >>

MasterKraus:
Hey Huky Gang,

Just finished my first roasting session with the Huky500T since getting my Phidgets hooked up. I started out with 4 roasts of a French roast, pushed past 2nd crack and ended with a lighter Full City+ roast, lingering a bit past first crack.

I haven't gotten around to recording my input changes, just monitoring temps and seeing how clean and consistent I can be. Setting up buttons and such is my next step.

Link to image of Artisan Roast (because I can't figure out how to add images).
http://imgur.com/a/YdX6J

Used Zimbabwe beans for this one. Feedback appreciated!

SusanJoM:

--- Quote from: MasterKraus on August 24, 2017, 06:29:31 PM ---(because I can't figure out how to add images).!

--- End quote ---

Right below the message box, where it says +Attachments and other options.... ;) 
Try that.

MasterKraus:
Nice, I think my image attached anyway, just didn't show in the preview before I posted...

edtbjon:
The roast looks nice, good declining RoR/deltaBT. You're not rushing it. I guess it will taste decent.

Now for critique, I don't know the size of the roast, but you charge way too high. That wil make you hold back on the burner for the rest of the roast. Burner = heat = energy... I.e the beans gets a hefty kiss of energy when charged into the roaster and then they are just kept slowly changing color. If you charge at say 350F (for a 400g - full pound charge), the initial drop of temperture will be much more dramatic. :o :) That's nothing to worry about, as it's only virtual. Then (I usually wait one minute) hit the burner at full whack, lots of energy going into the beans. When the beans starts to get yellow, I lower the heat to say 2 kPa, aiming for going into first crack at around 1 kPa. (I don't know if you have tuned your air speed system yet, but I adjust my air to low - mid - high airflow during these three phases, adjusting the heat before adjusting the fan.)
The reason for me wanting to add more energy after charge and towards the middle and later stages of the roast, is that most of the processes in the coffee takes place in those mid and later stages. This is coffee roasting theory, which you will learn while you get experience. Don't worry, you'll get there. Again, as you are new to the Huky, it's impressive to being able to balance the heat the way you did, to produce a nice looking roast. :)

MasterKraus:
Hey, thanks, that's super helpful!

--- Quote ---I don't know the size of the roast, but you charge way too high.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad to confirm about the charge temp. My gut told me it was too high, but was trying to follow this note from one of Kuanho's guides:

"1. Preheat temperature: 250g - 220℃; 300g - 240℃; 400g - 280℃; 500g - 300℃ "

I did roast with a full pound, so will try 350F next time around.   

--- Quote ---I don't know if you have tuned your air speed system yet, but I adjust my air to low - mid - high airflow during these three phases, adjusting the heat before adjusting the fan.
--- End quote ---

I do have one of those fan controller thingys, so I can tune the air speed. What I found on my first few roasts is that more air actually means more heat? Every time I turned up the fan, it seemed like the ET Delta would rise in conjunction.

--- Quote ---The reason for me wanting to add more energy after charge and towards the middle and later stages of the roast, is that most of the processes in the coffee takes place in those mid and later stages. This is coffee roasting theory, which you will learn while you get experience.
--- End quote ---

If I follow through your logic here, could I say in broad strokes that part of the theory here is to back off heat/energy as much as possible towards the later stages, so the roast slows down during that time and develops for a longer period of time?

Lastly, after some digging around here on the forum, I think I need to plug in my laptop to settle down the BT reading.

Thanks,

-Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version