Author Topic: My cyclone project  (Read 24166 times)

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: My cyclone project
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »
Hello Björn,
thank you for the link and information.
For me it seems that some puzzle parts are going together.

If a 60 cfm radial fan is much stronger in the system, than a 230 cfm axial fan, than this is due to more pressure / force.
For the flat axial fan I expect a high air flow with not so much pressure.

If just the difference between perforated drum and solid drum causes drop of air flow with the original fan by a factor of 2,
then the resitence of the whole system (bowl, funnel, J-pipe, front-plate-elbow, drum, 2,5" exhaust ) can probably drop the air flow by a factor of 10. (20 cfm instead of 230).
The radial fan is probably more robust on this. (I still have to read the HB thread.)
I may (just for the fun of it) try to connect a centrifugal fan to a "standard" setup of the exhaust system, just to see how it compares to the standard fan. I have the standard exhaust system in a box nearby the roaster, so it's a matter of setting up some kind of adapter for the small centrifugal fan.
For the record, I don't think that the solid drum introduces much more drag than the perforated drum. I've used both without any big difference in how the exhaust system worked. (OK, I didn't use an anemometer to measure it, but I setup my usual three settings with the cig.lighter trick as described by MillCityRoastes et.al. These settings were very similar on my Variac for both type of drums.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline beananimal

• Solid or Perf: solid installed, performated available
  • Serial Number: 363
  • J or T : T (+J)
  • Charge Weight : 333g or 400g
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
Acc. to my memory I had much more air flow with the perforated drum J-pipe, than now with solid drum T-pipe. But sometimes I am fooling myself.   :o

If the 60cfm fan is too powerful, you can make a bypass hole in the connecting hose, or intentional leakage. Our hover has such a opening in the handle for gentle cleaning
be an animal: be curious. trust you guts. play the game

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
Acc. to my memory I had much more air flow with the perforated drum J-pipe, than now with solid drum T-pipe. But sometimes I am fooling myself.   :o

If the 60cfm fan is too powerful, you can make a bypass hole in the connecting hose, or intentional leakage. Our hover has such a opening in the handle for gentle cleaning
:) Yes, I know... I call it the "LET GO!!! (of that sock)" button/opening. :)

Now, I didn't really bother about learning too much about what the other 2 cords (yellow and brown) on my fan is intended for, but I just found out they are "PWM" cords. That open up a whole new world of opportunities... A standalone PWM controller, or should I make the fan controllable from Artisan? It seems like I have some forum browsing and studies ahead of me. :)

Offline Brewzologist

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1309
  • J or T : T. No dampers.
  • Charge Weight : 350 grams
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
Now, I didn't really bother about learning too much about what the other 2 cords (yellow and brown) on my fan is intended for, but I just found out they are "PWM" cords. That open up a whole new world of opportunities... A standalone PWM controller, or should I make the fan controllable from Artisan? It seems like I have some forum browsing and studies ahead of me. :)

Exactly what I am doing but with an axial ran.  While you can use a DC voltage controller with a PWM fan, you should get much better control using the PWM lines.  Here are links related to PWM fan control via Artisan.  I modified the Python scripts to run on Windows, so PM me if you're not a Mac/Linux user.  I pretty much otherwise used Agrajag's (Phil's) approach below:

https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,408.0.html
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,1080.msg11570.html#msg11570

Steve
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:15:00 PM by Brewzologist »

Offline beananimal

• Solid or Perf: solid installed, performated available
  • Serial Number: 363
  • J or T : T (+J)
  • Charge Weight : 333g or 400g
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
 :)
I am currently waiting for feedback from MLG as I ordered via email a Zero Cross Detector to do exactly this PWM controling with my TC4.
be an animal: be curious. trust you guts. play the game

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »

While re-reading this thread, I just found this one... :)
It's mentioned on other places, but the J exhaust system have much fewer leaks than the T system. The top charge damper does leak quite a lot, which is why I suggested a top lid of sorts (I simply took a piece of alu.foil and put it on top. It can be as easy as taking something which can stand the heat).

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM