Author Topic: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?  (Read 38235 times)

Offline dickcoffee

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 454
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 1 pound
Re: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
I use a 2 1/2" shop vac hose that is just the right size to sort of screw in to the outlet of the exhaust bowl.  I do have to raise the bowl up a little to accomodate the hose though.  Here's a picture:
Dick

SusanJoM

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
Brilliant !!!!

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »
Is the reason for raising the fan to make clearance for the exhaust hose? I see a lot of you guys raising it, but couldn't figure out why until looking at Dick's picture.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
FYI, received the Walker hose today.  It is HEAVY! Probably about 1.25 lbs/ft. I did buy the heavy duty hose, so I'm sure that increased the weight a bit.

Thinking if you buy the Walker hose, it's best to buy it as an "intermediary hose" that you then connect into a lighter hose a few feet later.

Still waiting on the Huky to arrive. Should have more details I can provide in a week or so.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
Is the reason for raising the fan to make clearance for the exhaust hose? I see a lot of you guys raising it, but couldn't figure out why until looking at Dick's picture.
The reason is that the J-pipe extends a tad short. So to be able to have the fan/bowl on the side of the roaster instead of in front of it, raising the bowl one inch or so does the trick. (All this applies to the "standard" setup with the Huky on top of an IR burner.)

I also see that all of you are into temporary solutions eagerly awaiting the new exhaust, a cyclone etc. (At least I am and I guess I kind of started the quickie solution trend with plywood pieces attached with strap locks... :) )
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
The reason is that the J-pipe extends a tad short. So to be able to have the fan/bowl on the side of the roaster instead of in front of it, raising the bowl one inch or so does the trick. (All this applies to the "standard" setup with the Huky on top of an IR burner.)

I also see that all of you are into temporary solutions eagerly awaiting the new exhaust, a cyclone etc. (At least I am and I guess I kind of started the quickie solution trend with plywood pieces attached with strap locks... :) )

My exhaust extends far enough down without needing to raise the fan. It fits just fine. Maybe my J-pipe is a newer improved version. I did just receive my Huky last week sometime. After hooking up the exhaust hose though, it's a really tight fit underneath and ended up raising the fan with the plywood pieces. I tested with and without the plywood and found that I liked the way it sits with it raised.

SusanJoM

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
I had to extend the legs of the bowl to accommodate the venting.  If anything that made the exhaust tube a bit long and I can't lift the lid to look underneath it the way I have seen in some of the early HUKY videos.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »
I blocked up the roaster and bowl with 2x4"s on the flat side. the three exhaust bowl legs were cut with a hole saw.
By countersinking the center hole it fits the leg perfectly.

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:30 AM »
I put a cookie sheet down on the stovetop, IR stove on that, roaster on that and the fan sits on the countertop to the right- no shimming required. With the IR stove and roaster set on the right side of the cookie sheet there's a perfect amount of space on the left for a datalogger and kitchen timer. Makes it easy to unplug the whole setup to move out of the way.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »
Updated my post on page 1 about the Walker exhaust pipes. Basically don't recommend using them for anything more than an elbow because of the weight.

See the updated Reply #4 on page 1 for more details.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:20:33 PM by JavaBuzz »

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the update. I was pretty close to ordering some of that.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Jroasts

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 640
  • J or T : T
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »
I use a 2 1/2" shop vac hose that is just the right size to sort of screw in to the outlet of the exhaust bowl.  I do have to raise the bowl up a little to accomodate the hose though.  Here's a picture:

About how many roasts have you done with that setup?  Just wondering if that connection (shop-vac hose to exhaust bowl) stays tight.
-Jason

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Believe I've completed most of the setup of my new Huky now.

Some photos of the new setup below. I figured some people might be interested in the solution I developed.

For my exhaust, I did the following:
Walker 2.5" ID exhaust pipe (around 10-12" long) > 3"-to-4" adapter > 4" clean-out adapter > 4" semi-rigid dryer hose

All the parts except the 2.5" Walker exhaust pipe are pretty easy to find at home improvement stores. I made 4 cuts in the adapter with a Dremel to make it easier to attach to the 2.5" pipe with the clamps (tin snips would probably work too). I did not clamp the 2.5" pipe to the exhaust bowl being it was already a snug fit and would take a large amount of pressure to clamp it. I haven't been able to feel any air leaking from this spot.

The clean-out adapter was added to make it easy to detach/attach the exhaust hose so I can easily switch between indoor/outdoor roasting. I just "coerced" it into connecting directly to the 3" to 4" adapter.

FYI, the semi-rigid dryer hose rips somewhat easily (I put some aluminum tape around it on the end to try to minimize this happening). The flexible dryer hosing might work better, but seems like it might be less resistent to heat/fire.

I also added an exhaust fan above the roaster for additional smoke removal. The 2nd exhaust hose in the 2nd photo below connects into this fan.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:45:44 AM by JavaBuzz »

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Being able to just disconnect the exhaust hose (via the quick connect) and a power cord in order to move everything outside is pretty great!

I used the mobile cart last weekend to move my entire setup outside and it worked quite well. Maybe took 15 minutes to move everything outside and connect to a different heat source and power source.

Offline rvtech

• Serial Number: 740
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:52 AM »
Has anyone tried this exhaust hose?http://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-Aluminum-Silver-flexible-A038/dp/B00009W3GX
Breville Oracle

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM