Author Topic: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?  (Read 38243 times)

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »
Has anyone tried this exhaust hose?http://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-Aluminum-Silver-flexible-A038/dp/B00009W3GX
I think I have something like this I picked up at Home Depot.  It works well after I squeezed it a bit to fit the 2" vent and wrapped it with metalized tape.  A quick disconnect setup would be better, though, as someday I'm going have to take it apart to clean the vent bowl.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
I bought the Lambro #301 3" on Amazon. It's a little less money and worked fine. My local HD quite carrying the 3" size. For a transition I use exhaust fittings: 2.5" 90* with a 2.5" - 3" adaptor.

Offline rvtech

• Serial Number: 740
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
I saw the Lambro, but it's not clear how long it is. I'll need the 8' or perhaps more to make a permanent set up.
Breville Oracle

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »
All of this type hose can be stretched out; not sure about the final length as I'm cutting it in half.

Offline jvietri

• Solid or Perf: Both - using solid
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
I bought this one,  it came yesterday and used it today for a few roasts.  Works perfect!

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/duct-hose/help-duct-hose/80248_0_0/
jv

SusanJoM

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
Keep a close watch on that one.
I'm guessing you're gonna melt it.
I hope not, but just make sure nothing you like a lot is underneath it....just in case.

Susan
the wet blanket

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »
Keep a close watch on that one.
I'm guessing you're gonna melt it.
I hope not, but just make sure nothing you like a lot is underneath it....just in case.

Susan
the wet blanket

I've run steam inside PVC which at 70C starts to go soft and sag heavily.  I am skeptical of any solution that connects plastic inline from the exhaust bowl out, unless one cools the whole thing down between roasts.

I think the auto parts solution is the one I will adapt for my use.
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 10:45:08 PM »
After melting a plastic 2.5" type hose during back to back 454g roasts, I went in search of tubing for the exhaust.  I ended up paying up for a hose that has a high enough heat rating to handle the output temps of the exhaust bowl.  This is what I ended up with and I have been extremely happy with it.  it is pricey but fits perfectly and works reliably.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050IK82W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:54 AM »
After melting a plastic 2.5" type hose during back to back 454g roasts, I went in search of tubing for the exhaust.  I ended up paying up for a hose that has a high enough heat rating to handle the output temps of the exhaust bowl.  This is what I ended up with and I have been extremely happy with it.  it is pricey but fits perfectly and works reliably.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050IK82W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I can vouch that this hose holds up great for the job. My only complaint would be that the ends seem to be showing signs of wear and tear sooner than I'd expect, but that's probably a result of me setting up and tearing down our Huky each time we roast. The hose is really easy to use though, and with it's flexibility, packs up really neatly.

Offline rvtech

• Serial Number: 740
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »
The automotive type that are flexible "accordion style" aluminum and were used for air cleaner pre-heat tubes back when vehicles had carburetors or throttle body injection may be the ones that work best. The aluminum is super light weight and will not melt or burn at these temps. They are somewhat difficult to find as they stopped using these on autos in the late 80's. Some of the automotive heat duct types have a coating on them which may not be as good as the aluminum "looking" ones. I'm not sure about the Autozone duct hose, it appears to have a coating or is painted. It is not labeled as a pre-heat tube, but rather a duct hose which may be a different material. The automotive exhaust tubes/pipes are a bit of overkill and are typically very heavy.
Breville Oracle

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 04:23:43 AM »
I did take a temp reading during a whole roast, which maxed out at 68C/155F. (I posted that early in this thread...) Now, even if that reading is wrong by say 50%, we're still (only) at 100C/212F. I'm not saying that you shouldn't care, but don't overdo it either...
My old (and current) setup uses a flex aluminium pipe designed for the heater and ventilation in cars. (Probably the same type as rvtech mentions.) I've been using that type of pipe/hose for a few hundred roasts, without any signs of heat deterioration or that the pipe have any burn marks. The inside looks the same in both ends (of a 5 feet pipe).
I also used a smaller dimension of that type connecting it directly from the shorter 90deg pipe which is intended for e.g. connection to a cyclone and had no problems with that pipe either. (In that setup there was a much shorter distance from the roaster to the aluminium pipe, just about 1 foot. I recon the heat was much more intense there...)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline leftism

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
I bought my exhaust hose from ebay.de, so for European users this is a good option as it fits perfectly. Here is the link
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Alu-Flex-Rohr-Luftungsrohr-NW63-L-5-0m-2-80-m-F63-/201034306740?hash=item2ece9414b4

Offline Pear

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 1113
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 300
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 04:07:57 AM »
I bought my exhaust hose from ebay.de, so for European users this is a good option as it fits perfectly. Here is the link
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Alu-Flex-Rohr-Luftungsrohr-NW63-L-5-0m-2-80-m-F63-/201034306740?hash=item2ece9414b4

Hi there, I am in Spain and looking for something suitable and read your link. When I looked more closely at the site it said 80mm vent vs say 65mm which is the 2.5 inch. Does it really fit?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »

Hi there, I am in Spain and looking for something suitable and read your link. When I looked more closely at the site it said 80mm vent vs say 65mm which is the 2.5 inch. Does it really fit?
The exhaust outlet is 2.5 inch, 63mm. My impression looking at that pipe on german EBay is that it is 65mm diameter. If you find a 65mm pipe that will do nicely too, just use a clamp (which I'd recommend anyhow, as you don't want that pipe to slip off).
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline yukoncornelius

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »
If you're in the US and you want a clean easy solution...  2.5" x 8ft shop-vac or similar vacuum hose.   Please ignore my rather crude PVC couplings that I bought from the hardware store to raise the exhaust hood a couple inches.  I can't recommend that shop-vac hose enough, it looks good, and can be taken down easily.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM