Author Topic: Almost ready to order....  (Read 36258 times)

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Almost ready to order....
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:03 AM »
Just to chime in on Susans comment. I've had my Huky since november and even though I'm curious about a perf. drum, I cannot see how a different configuration would have improved my roasting skills. I'm still in a learning process with my current config (solid drum...) and even though my roasts in general are quite tasty there is still much room for improvement. Learning how to treat different kind of beans, shorter/longer phases of the roast etc. does take a lot of time and gives me more than enough variables to play with at the moment.
Should I have ordered a dual config (solid and perf. drum) I think the machinery would have taken focus away from the actual roasting process. There is a difference in how the final roast tastes when roasted in different drum types, but for the sake of this discussion, I assume the difference in taste is rather subtle. So for now, I'm very satisfied with my current setup. It's quite possible that I will order a perf. drum while ordering other bits and pieces from Mr. Li (because of the shipping costs...) but that may be in a year or two.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 06:47:36 AM »
Mike, I think if finances are tight for you that you should just go with the solid drum and fast motor. 

That configuration will keep you busy and happy for a long time.  You can always add the other configuration in the future if you feel you really need it. 

My highly inflated 2 cents :-)))

The analogue thermometer is junk, you can have mine for free ;)

A budget Huky configuration is going to be different than totally loaded out one. The first thing to go on the Huky Kit is probably the fan, based on heavy user reports. The drum motor has less stress, but if one needs a spare; get a replacement.

Motor speed's match Mr. Li's placement, although alternate rpm' scan be used; default choice is safe.

Drum choice is; well a choice. Just get one or the other and don't look back. The advantage of the perforated drum is lighter drip roasts?? At least that's my take on it.  :o In Asia they call it "direct fire", the fire can touch the beans, better heat penetration. If your roasting light and the beans don't get cooked all the way through, underdeveloped tastes result.

The solid drum is going to retain heat better and is the traditional choice for the style of coffee here in the US. I'm an advocate of NOT taking the Huky apart unless maintenance is necessary. Some of the cap nuts/screws can use thread locker and tighten up a bit. Otherwise it's too easy to strip out small stainless rods and fittings. Mr. Li or his crew most likely set up every machine, and it's wise to leave it alone if possible.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:51:27 AM by hankua »

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
Where did you hear about the fan failures Hank?
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
Someone in NJ; had to replace bearings and a fan. Can't remember his name off hand. A heavy user, maybe after a 1/2 ton of beans (1,000 lbs).

Might have even been a full ton. :o

Pretty solid machine, huh  ;D

I've hear Mr. Li state his machines have run all day long at a local school, so his drum motor choice although noisy is quite reliable for the long haul.

Material choice, reliability, flexibility, user interface, etc. are some of the reasons why "THE HUKY RULES THE ROOST" in the 1lb hobbyist category.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:08:38 AM by hankua »

Offline Gregr

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:49 AM »
A ton? Is that all? Feh  ;D
Reminds me of a post in another forum a while back where someone who didn't even own a Huky first said the stove wasn't strong enough. I replied with "charcoal in 6 minutes- that fast enough for ya?".

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 05:33:36 PM »
A budget Huky configuration is going to be different than totally loaded out one.

How would you classify loaded out?

I will still get the extra fan and tray, but will most likely skip the extra drum and motor set, saving me $180. I've asked Mr. Li what the shipping is on those two parts. If it is high, like $50 or more, then I will suck it up and buy those parts now as part of the initial shipping cost.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 04:05:07 AM »
A really budget kit would be the roaster, an extra screen, and the ET thermocouple (which I think he's doing for free).

You still need a dual input meter for reading temps; artisan setup requires a special meter or Phidget temp. sensor and a laptop. Heat source is a small gas stove with home made venting device.

The vent bowl is a very useful option, most people get it but it's not necessary if you can get by without it.

Mr. Li used to offer surface shipping as an option, it's less expensive but can take several months to arrive by ship. Worth asking about.

A loaded out Huky has one of everything, along with spare parts, motors, fans, drums, etc. Most people end up somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

There are lots of alternatives to the standard ventilation kit using scrap wood, cardboard, used fans or blowers. Also possible to incorporate filtration in a homemade system.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »
I heard back from Mr. Li on my question about shipping a drum and motor kit later. It will be $54 USD to ship those two items. So I pay $176 ($78 and $98 each) for those two items in my initial order, or $230 later if I want them.

I have a question on the heater Mr. Li supplies. I seem to remember some threads where people found it a bit challenging to find all the right parts to get a propane tank hooked up to the heater. Has that all been sorted out? Seems like I remember some discussions on having to get a regulator in the USA since the one that comes from Mr. Li isn't compatible with the USA propane tanks. Do I remember that right?

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »

I have a question on the heater Mr. Li supplies. I seem to remember some threads where people found it a bit challenging to find all the right parts to get a propane tank hooked up to the heater. Has that all been sorted out? Seems like I remember some discussions on having to get a regulator in the USA since the one that comes from Mr. Li isn't compatible with the USA propane tanks. Do I remember that right?

-Mike

I had a little bit of trouble with the IR burner that Mr Li supplies at first.  It came down to removing a small rubber bushing that comes in the receptacle at the end of the regulator connector. After removing that bushing the regulator connected to my standard propane tank from Home depot and works perfectly. 

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
Cool deal, thanks buddy.

I read a handful of threads, and it looks like I need three probes total for full data logging: BT, ET, and MET. Is that right?
As I understand it, Mr. Li will supply the BT probe as part of the purchase.
My swapping out the analog thermostat for the thermocouple/probe for $16 will be the ET?
Then if you ask, he installs an additional probe for $16 that is the MET?

-Mike

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
Cool deal, thanks buddy.

I read a handful of threads, and it looks like I need three probes total for full data logging: BT, ET, and MET. Is that right?
As I understand it, Mr. Li will supply the BT probe as part of the purchase.
My swapping out the analog thermostat for the thermocouple/probe for $16 will be the ET?
Then if you ask, he installs an additional probe for $16 that is the MET?

-Mike

Yes that is the exact setup I have - 3 probes.  Mr Li initially forgot to place the ET probe in place of the Analog Thermometer, but he quickly sent me the part and I replaced it myself.  See the photo I used to clarify this with Mr Li.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
Cool deal, thanks buddy.

-Mike

By the way the MET probe does not provide a whole lot of important data while you are learning.  Most important for roast profiling is having a T/C for ET and BT and watching the Rate of Rise curve which is expressed in Artisan as Delta BT.  You can see this curve in many of the roast profiles posted in here.  I do have MET connected and reading but it's not something I pay a whole lot of attention to at present.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
That pic is way cool, thank you for clearing that all up. I don't know how much data logging I will do at the start, but I want to be fully outfitted for it when I am ready.

The info on MET is excellent, thank you for adding that. I really don't think I will do any data logging until I get to a spot where I am roasting several batches a week and I need to produce some consistent batches for others.

-Mike

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Well, not good news for me today.

After attending the SCAA event in Seattle today and talking to a couple people who use a Huky, I finally decided now is the time to make my purchase. I raced home, double and triple checked my parts list, logged in to PayPal and entered in all my info, then clicked the 'Send' button on the payment. My payment via credit card on paypal.com was rejected telling me the 'recipient doesn’t accept payments using this payment method.'

I think I misunderstood the acceptable forms of payment from Mr. Li. *sigh*

-Mike

Offline Gregr

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
That must've been frustrating.
I asked if I could pay via Paypal on my last purchase, which was only the faceplate and new diversion pipe. He said Paypal or wire transfer was ok. His Paypal account is: Li Kuanho (kuanho.li@gmail.com).

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM