Author Topic: (Charging) Dropping in Hot ???  (Read 23431 times)

Offline 9Sbeans

Re: (Charging) Dropping in Hot ???
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »
After a very successful first round with the fast roast approach (still waiting for a catchy name) I'm going to try it again today with Kenya Kirinyagi peaberry. I'm a little worried though that this might be a bad bean to roast quickly because the notes say it's a very bright coffee, but very good as SO espresso. Anybody have any input I'd love to hear it. I guess worse comes to worst I can just freeze it and use it for the rare occasions when I want coffee and not espresso.
I have some Kenya Peaberry roasting profiles here, but I won’t claim successful.

Couple months ago, I was satisfied with my high charge temperature roast.  At the time, I kept the ramp (MAI) phase 3:30 and my development phase around 2:30 for my high-charge temp profiles.  The 25% development time ratio was intended to tone down the bright acidity of Kenyan.  I sent my roasted beans to Taiwan for their cupping evaluations, and they told me I had over-roasted my beans.  Because there were some high-profile cuppers in that group, I took their advice seriously.  Marshall (endlesscycles) also frequently comments a roast tasted “baked” when going darker. 

I ran other batches of Kenya.  In this batch, I had shorten ramp (3:10) and development (2:00) time, as well as shorter (20%) development time ratio.  The cup was bright and vivid.  After comparing the above two roasts, I understood the meaning of “baked” or “roasty” flavor others had told me.  Although this batch was good, it was too bright to make a SO espresso for my liking.  I blended it with other centrals.

If I want to run more batches of Kenya, I would aim for 3:30~4:00 ramp time (MAI, per Hoos), and stick with 22% development time ratio (per Rao).  I would also try to keep my RoR at around 15~20F/min while entering the first crack.  BTW, the profiles Johnny4lsu posted in the Successful profiles is very promising…   ;D

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 02:46:12 AM »
Peaberry's are a tough bean to roast, and a Kenyan as well. :o
That's why I seldom hit the buy button on them. Maybe that's just
Laziness???

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
I feel that way about peaberries- never had one that I was able to do justice to.
Results are in for my second fast roast. This was a blend of 2 Rwandas (I chickened out and decided not to try Kenya, as planned) and once again the sweetness is thru the roof. It's unbalanced in terms of body and acidity but because it's so sweet I'm loving it anyways. Milk chocolate aftertaste and sugar type sweetness, as opposed to fruit or caramel.
Also, the natural Guat that I roasted 9 days ago is still good so I can't confirm the reports of shorter lifespan with the fast roasting. Here's the Rwanda:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:49:31 AM by Gregr »
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM