Author Topic: Huky 500T Order Placed!  (Read 29027 times)

Offline Jroasts

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 640
  • J or T : T
Huky 500T Order Placed!
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »
Placed my order yesterday and just received confirmation from Mr. Li a few minutes ago.  :)  Delivery time eta 10-14 days, which from what I've gathered from the forum means it will most likely ship in 10-14 days.

I have a small, stand-alone garage space that I'll be prepping while I patiently wait.  There is an exhaust fan already installed on the roof; it looks like it's industrial strength but really it's a fan typically used to lower the temperature in attics.  Either way, I'm going to try to pipe my flexi exhaust up to that vent.  I'll write separate post to cross-reference my (before my Huky arrives) list to get valuable input.

Anyways, my final order is below.  Thanks to everyone who posted and helped educate...

The price of Huky 500T is 1160 USD  (not including choose appurtenance & shipping fee)
Standard appurtenance: T diversion pipe,fan,tray,funnel,AC adapter,tool

Huky 500T including: Perforated Drum-48rpm, T diversion pipe, fan, tray, funnel, AC adapter, tool
1160 USD

Extra Fan 48 USD
Extra Tray 15 USD
Extra Funnel 13USD
Extra Motor for solid drum-78rpm 18 USD
Solid Drum (extra) 98 USD
Center 301 Thermometer Installed (Dual input)-------78 USD
Extra Probe Met 16USD
Propane Stove "Huky Stock IR" (with Needle valve & Gas Pressure gauge ) : 96USD
The freight charges  By "Express Mail Service  is 186 USD

Total: $1,728
-Jason

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
Re: Huky 500T Order Placed!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:27 AM »
Nice package you put together. I look forward to the pictures.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

SusanJoM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »
Jroasts, why did you order a dual input Center if you are having a MET T/C installed.  That will only read two inputs and you will have three.

Personally I think you should delete the Center altogether and order a Phidget separately.  There are a lot less 'issues' being noted by people using the Phidget 1048, and it will accommodate your three T/Cs plus one more input if you ever want one.

Also, I see that  you have ordered an extra drum and an extra motor, but did you specify that you want that extra motor in a housing so it can be put into the HUKY directly?  Think about that just in case you want it already in its housing so you won't have to do the wiring if you decide to change motors.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:03:38 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
Mike, I'll definitely post pictures, excited for the new roasting workshop.

Susan, thank you for the post, truthfully after going down the path of starting with popcorn popper then Behmor, I really rely on sight, sound and time.  BUT I would like to use artisan with the Huky to develop and maintain more consistent roasts.

Let me know if this makes sense:  Dual input center installed, this seemed to be a great way to log roasts via artisan.  I also read on the forum that the dual input made sense to have Mr. Li install rather than try and mod myself down the road.  I also read that this is the, for a lack of a better term, "more popular route" should I decide to resell the Huky down the road, although I honestly do not see that happening.

Based on my order I thought I was ordering the Met T/C thrown in the box, not installed:

Center 301 Thermometer Installed (Dual input)-------78 USD
Extra Probe Met 16USD

Do you think I should clarify?
-Jason

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »
If that is what you want, that is fine.  I just wanted to be sure.  The Center dual input will not allow you to use that MET T/C that you are having included with your order, so I don't understand why you want it, but....if you do you do.

I came to the HUKY from another perspective altogether.  I wanted/needed the temperature readings !!!!  Sight and sound are good and anyone who can roast to their own satisfaction using those parameters has my utmost respect. 

I like having BT, ET and MET readings available to me.  That doesn't mean that they have made me an expert by any means, but I do rely on them to corroborate everything that I may or may not learn using my own sense.

If you want to be able to read that MET TC, you will at least need to upgrade to a Center 304, but again from what I have read of it's limitations, I would not go that route.

This is your purchase!!!  You are free to ignore my meddling...:-))))

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
Susan:  No please, do meddle, honestly if not for this forum I would probably still be researching roasters or dumping my 401k to buy a San Franciscan.

Is the MET T/C useful to measure exhaust temp? 
-Jason

SusanJoM

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
Some say MET is not useful.
I think ALL of the measurements are useful.  Before charging I work to make sure that there is a stable relationship between BT, ET and MET.  Whether that is meaningful or not is another question altogether, but I like being able to do it.

If you don't want to measure MET, why are you buying the MET T/C?

If you are buying the MET T/C, then I don't understand why you would buy the Center 301 which will only take two of the three T/Cs.What I am seeing/reading/guessing at is a disconnect between your ordering a 2-input thermometer (the 301) and three T/Cs.

Then, if you are wanting all three, the Center has seemed to present more issues than the Phidget.  So, if you do want to be able to record from all three T/Cs, I personally recommend the Phidget which does an excellent job of that.

I think I've repeated myself, for which I apologize, but I will keep trying to do a better job of explaining my questioning of your choices as long as I'm not driving you out of your mind :-))))

Offline TimDaddy

• Tim
  • Serial Number: 636
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
honestly if not for this forum I would probably still be researching roasters or dumping my 401k to buy a San Franciscan.

Wow, I did actually Laugh Out Loud at that!  To think that at one time (before discovering the Huky and, yes, this website) I was ALSO considering how I could muster $8K to drop on a San Franciscan.....

I haven't received my Huky yet, but it's on the way.

Many folks here have purchased the Phidget, which is not a stand-alone meter, as the Center is, but a board that accepts the signals from up to four thermocouples and sends them via USB to your computer/Artisan.  Another option, instead of the Phidget, is the TC4C-Built found at http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html.  As I understand, it basically does the same thing as the Phidget.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.

-Tim

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Susan:

So this is where my head was when ordering:  I assume the two installed probes will measure BT (I assume the probe will be placed inside the bean mass) and ET (presumably installed to measure exhaust air temp).  In my researching of other roasters I read that the MET will provide more data and typically more accurate data for exhaust temp [I'm not sure what the forum rules are regarding to linking to other forums, but I can try to find that thread.]

I figure I can test this theory (for $18) and find a 3rd data point that will be useful....

I think the BT and the ET will provide ample data to set my benchmarks for different profiles.  The MET will be a toy.  I think I'll find a 3rd data point that I'll find useful, but I'm just not sure what that is yet and having the three installed seemed excessive.

The phidget honestly scared me a little bit, just looking at the circuit board.  I briefly researched the phidget versus installed T/Cs but decided pretty quickly that I would get what I needed out of the dual sensors.

Are the known issues with the Center related to accuracy or breakdowns of some sort?

-Jason

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
TimDaddy:  as you know (and probably all others here) the roaster market is a black hole of pros and cons and research and $$ and etc. etc.  It feels great to have pulled the trigger and honestly the Huky seems perfect for me.  For it's capacity range, I can't find a group more passionate about a roaster...I think that says a lot.

Re:
Many folks here have purchased the Phidget, which is not a stand-alone meter, as the Center is, but a board that accepts the signals from up to four thermocouples and sends them via USB to your computer/Artisan.

Wouldn't this require me installing the thermocouples?  I'm not sure I'm at the point of drilling holes into a roaster....
-Jason

SusanJoM

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
Wouldn't this require me installing the thermocouples?  I'm not sure I'm at the point of drilling holes into a roaster....

Absolutely not.
The thermocouples will be installed exactly the same way whether you are going to use a Phidget or a Center.

I am beginning to sound to myself as if I'm trying to talk you into something and that doesn't work for me, so I will drop out of this conversation now and let you guys enjoy your purchases.   You will !!!!

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Susan before you go(lol) if you find any links to posts regarding issues with the center, or if you know off hand, can you post a link?
-Jason

SusanJoM

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
If you search this forum you will find that several people have had a hard time getting the Center 304 to record MET.
I think they have found work arounds, but that's all I can tell you.

Since you are ordering the 301 which only records two inputs anyway, it won't matter. 

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
Hello,

I finally got the Center 304 to read MET to Artisan during the roast - however it will not show the current MET temp in the LCD on screen in Artisan - it just plots the data.  One benefit of having a Datalogging Thermometer is that when Artisan fails (and it has on several occasions for me), I still have a display of all temps to look at and I can continue to log temps manually.  The extra device must be set to Center 309_34 on the Device assignment tab, and your labels and line color need to be selected. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:02:48 AM by jeffgsd »

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
The extra device must be set to Center 309_34 on the Device assignment tab, and your labels and line color need to be selected.

Jeff, thank you for the info and picture! 
-Jason

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM