Author Topic: Huky 500T Order Placed!  (Read 28963 times)

SusanJoM

Re: Huky 500T Order Placed!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Susan before you go(lol) if you find any links to posts regarding issues with the center, or if you know off hand, can you post a link?
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,96.15.html

As Jeff clarified, this "bug" can be worked with as long as you don't need the LEDs to be displaying data for you.

Offline Jroasts

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 640
  • J or T : T
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
Susan before you go(lol) if you find any links to posts regarding issues with the center, or if you know off hand, can you post a link?
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,96.15.html

As Jeff clarified, this "bug" can be worked with as long as you don't need the LEDs to be displaying data for you.

10-4, thank you!
-Jason

Offline TimDaddy

• Tim
  • Serial Number: 636
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
Wouldn't this require me installing the thermocouples?  I'm not sure I'm at the point of drilling holes into a roaster....

Jason-

I just re-read your order list to Mr. Li and now realize that you did not specify that you wanted him to replace the analog thermometer which reads environmental temp (ET) with a thermocouple.  It also sounds like there might be a little confusion on how thermocouples are implemented .

First, a little background and I apologize up front if this is too basic.

The standard Huky configuration includes one bean temp (BT) thermocouple and one analog thermometer for ET.  The analog thermometer only displays the temperature using a needle against a round dial.  It does not generate any kind of electrical signal like a thermocouple does.  An electrical signal is needed for a temp to be charted in Artisan.

A thermocouple is a probe that is inserted into the space that you want to know the temperature of, like a thermometer, but that's where the similarity ends.  The thermocouple creates a small voltage on two wires that must be measured.  In the case of the included BT thermocouple, Mr. Li has already drilled the hole and installed the probe so it mostly stays in the middle of the tumbling bean pile inside the roaster.  The two wires with the voltage can go either to a stand-alone meter, such as the Center 301, or to circuitry that can measure the voltage, such as the Phidget.  Both the Center and the Phidget then send the temperature information to your computer, where it is displayed in Artisan.   The Center 301 will also display the temperature on its built-in digital display. 

The ET thermometer is also inserted into a hole in the roaster.   The thermometer's probe does not reside inside the bean pile, but it does reside within the roaster drum.  As mentioned, the standard configuration is to include a thermometer for ET, not a thermocouple.  However, Mr. Li will replace the ET thermometer with a thermocouple at no extra charge if you request it--the thermocouple will go into the same hole previously occupied by the thermometer.  By doing this, you lose the cool-looking dial thermometer on the front plate, but you gain the ability to chart your ET in Artisan.  As your order now stands, according to what you posted above, you will not be getting ET in Artisan.

You did request that a max environment temp (MET) thermocouple be installed.  Mr. Li will drill an additional hole and install this thermocouple. 

Technically, since you hadn't requested replacement of the ET thermometer with a thermocouple, you do only have two thermocouples to monitor.  So the Center 301 is adequate for your current configuration.

However....I highly recommend (and I think most folks here would agree) that you request Mr. Li to replace the ET thermometer with a thermocouple.  If you do that, then you will have three thermocouple inputs to deal with (BT, ET, MET).  For what it's worth, I believe the simplest and most cost effective way to capture those three inputs and port them to Artisan is by using either a Phidget or the TC4C-Built I mentioned earlier. 

Again, sorry if this was entirely too basic. 

-Tim

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
TimDaddy, Thank you!  Nothing is too basic for me and I think your post can act as a one-stop shop for info related to this topic.  I wasn't as specific as I should have been when I placed my order and after reading your post, I can understand the confusion. Thank you for your time!

A couple follow-up questions:

This:

a.Center 300 Thermometer(Single input)-----66 USD
b.Center 301 Thermometer(Dual input)-------78 USD
c.Center 304Thermometer(Four input)-------112 USD

confuses me a little bit.  Option A is an additional single input added to the standard BT T/C? 

And with option C: Four inputs I thought to be for BT,ET(T/C),MET + the analog thermometer (which I agree is a cool aesthetic).  If the ET thermocouple replaces the analog thermometer, what is the 4th input for?

Ultimately I am looking to measure BT and ET digitally; I had read that having both ET and MET is redundant and MET provides more information and more accurate data.  Do you see any truth to this?

As my order stands now, I have the standard BT thermocouple installed, which I can use to digitally log data, the MET installed which I can use to log data and the analog dial, correct?

I put a lot of stock in the recommendations posted here.  Having BT/ET/MET installed and ready to rock sounds great.  I'll wait to see what you say...albeit my order is already placed...

My ordered copied here:

The price of Huky 500T is 1160 USD  (not including choose appurtenance & shipping fee)
Standard appurtenance: T diversion pipe,fan,tray,funnel,AC adapter,tool

Huky 500T including: Perforated Drum-48rpm, T diversion pipe, fan, tray, funnel, AC adapter, tool
1160 USD

Extra Fan 48 USD
Extra Tray 15 USD
Extra Funnel 13USD
Extra Motor for solid drum-78rpm 18 USD
Solid Drum (extra) 98 USD
Center 301 Thermometer Installed (Dual input)-------78 USD
Extra Probe Met 16USD

TY

Jason
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:06:04 PM by Jroasts »
-Jason

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
On the Center 304 for this setup the 4th input would be left open and not used.

SusanJoM

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
A couple follow-up questions:

This:

confuses me a little bit. 

Jason, I think I understand some of your confusion.  The Centers listed here are all pretty much equivalent to the Phidget.  They are the part of the equipment that the thermocouples feed into and that then feed the information to your laptop.  The are not the actual readers of the temperature.  The Center 300 will accept one input (e.g. a thermocouple at the BT location).  The Center 301 will accept two inputs (e.g. a thermocouple at BT and ET).  The Center 304 (like the Phidget) will accept up to four inputs.

The fact that the the Center 304 and the Phidget both would accept up to 4 inputs is just that they are manufactured with other uses in mind  -- not specifically for the HUKY  -- and there probably is no common call for just 3, or 4 is just as cheap as 3 or ????   

Although your order says "Center 301 Thermometer Installed (Dual input)" there IS no "installation" of the Center 301.  It is a separate item which your thermocouples will feed into.  It does not get installed. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:03:06 PM by SusanJoM »

SusanJoM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »

Although your order says "Center 301 Thermometer Installed (Dual input)" there IS no "installation" of the Center 301.  The Center 301 is a separate item which your thermocouples will feed into.  It does not get installed.   Here are its specs

http://www.centertek.com/products_con.aspx?cid=C_00000011&cpid=C_00000002&pid=P_00000034&pn=

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
However, Mr. Li will replace the ET thermometer with a thermocouple at no extra charge if you request it--the thermocouple will go into the same hole previously occupied by the thermometer. 

Great info TimDaddy, but allow me to address my experience with this request.

When I asked for this change, Mr. Li added a $16 charge to my order. Here is a snip from my parts list he asked me to confirm:
Extra ET$ 16
1 MET thermocouple installed $ 16  BT probe and analog thermostat come with Huky.

-Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:08:25 PM by MJ5150 »
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
On the Center 304 for this setup the 4th input would be left open and not used.

Okay so you're referring to the 4th input on the Center 304...there would only be three holes in the Huky for the BT/ET/MET Thermocouples...
-Jason

SusanJoM

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »

SusanJoM

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
I had read that having both ET and MET is redundant and MET provides more information and more accurate data.  Do you see any truth to this?

No. 

Offline TimDaddy

• Tim
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »
Great, and thanks, I'm glad it helped you.

confuses me a little bit.  Option A is an additional single input added to the standard BT T/C? 

And with option C: Four inputs I thought to be for BT,ET(T/C),MET + the analog thermometer (which I agree is a cool aesthetic).  If the ET thermocouple replaces the analog thermometer, what is the 4th input for?

Jason,

Just to make sure we're on the same page with what Mr. Li is offering above with options a, b, and c.  Each of these--Center 300, Center 301, Center 304--is a stand-alone piece of test equipment (in this case, an electronic digital thermometer).  Check out the following link to see what one looks like, if you haven't already:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Center-301-Thermometers-Type-K-Dual-inputs-PC-interface-Center-301/2041247081.html

Admittedly, I'd never heard of Center before either, and thought it was something special and unique to the Huky.  It's not.  Anyway, the Center model 300 will accept and display the temp from one thermocouple.  The model 301 will accept and display the temps from two thermocouples.  The model 304 will accept and display four thermocouples.  If you only have three thermocouples (ie. BT, ET, MET), then you're covered with the model 304, you'll just have an extra input that you're not using.  If you don't want to use Artisan, you don't need anything else to see what temperatures your thermocouples are measuring with one of these Center digital thermometers--they have their own built-in numerical displays.  And remember, the analog dial thermometer does not generate an electric signal, so it is not an input to anything.  It simply displays temperature with a needle and circular dial.

If you DO want to use Artisan (and I expect you do), then you will need to purchase a special interface cable, I believe it's an RS232 to USB cable either from Mr. Li for $25 or from somewhere else.

To boil it down, here's what you might consider doing:

Ask Mr. Li to replace your analog ET with a thermocouple (giving you BT, ET, and MET electronically)
Either change your order from Center 301 to Center 304 and order the RS232 to USB interface cable....
OR Cancel the Center 301 and order a Phidget.

SusanJoM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »
Listen to Tim !!!
He's got it exactly right :-)))) and he has explained it much more patiently than I have.

Susan

Offline TimDaddy

• Tim
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
However, Mr. Li will replace the ET thermometer with a thermocouple at no extra charge if you request it--the thermocouple will go into the same hole previously occupied by the thermometer. 

Great info TimDaddy, but allow me to address my experience with this request.

When I asked for this change, Mr. Li added a $16 charge to my order. Here is a snip from my parts list he asked me to confirm:
Extra ET$ 16
1 MET thermocouple installed $ 16  BT probe and analog thermostat come with Huky.

-Mike

Mike,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you asked Mr. Li to not only replace the analog ET with a TC, but to also include the removed analog thermometer in your shipment (as opposed to him keeping it as a "trade in" for the TC).

Either way, I didn't ask for the removed analog thermometer and he didn't charge me anything for the swap.

-Tim

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »

Mike,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you asked Mr. Li to not only replace the analog ET with a TC, but to also include the removed analog thermometer in your shipment (as opposed to him keeping it as a "trade in" for the TC).

Either way, I didn't ask for the removed analog thermometer and he didn't charge me anything for the swap.

-Tim

Yes, I did ask him to include the analog device in case I changed my mind and wanted to go back. Perhaps this is the reason I am being asked to pay an additional $16. If this is the case, I will cancel that request to send the analog device as another member here already offered me their analog device. Well, once I find out how much they want for it.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM