Author Topic: My 500T Upgrade Setup  (Read 39031 times)

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
My 500T Upgrade Setup
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:42:09 PM »
I am soooooo happy that I ordered this upgrade...It works extremely well. The 500T for me is a huge upgrade. Just wanted to share.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
Re: My 500T Upgrade Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
Very nice. How do you like your heat source? Is that open flame? Do you think you'd could make a short video while you're roasting so we can see how it looks please? I'm thinking of sitting my Huky on the top of our stove top and trying that for comparison.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
Very nice. How do you like your heat source? Is that open flame? Do you think you'd could make a short video while you're roasting so we can see how it looks please? I'm thinking of sitting my Huky on the top of our stove top and trying that for comparison.

-Mike
I'd be glad to do that...I actually may have a video somewhere...let me try to dig one up

ETA: All I have is some short videos that won't show you much...I'll take a good video of it soon
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:56:45 PM by Johnny4lsu »
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline TimDaddy

• Tim
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 636
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
I agree, looks very nice.  I'd also like to see a video.  What's the second variac for?

I got my 500T over a week ago and have yet to fire it up!  Just need some free time and possibly some motivational video.

I don't expect there's much you can do for me on the free time front, but about that motivational video....

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »

-Mike
Uploading video...I just shot a quick video of my gas setup, etc. I wasn't actually roasting with my new config...I have to roast later today so I'll do another video of the new config.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »
I agree, looks very nice.  I'd also like to see a video.  What's the second variac for?

I got my 500T over a week ago and have yet to fire it up!  Just need some free time and possibly some motivational video.

I don't expect there's much you can do for me on the free time front, but about that motivational video....

Thanks,
Tim

Here's a link to the video...Y'all let me know if you have anymore questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rf9flownpgvh9d/20150502_132621.mp4?dl=0

Offline rlevine

• Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
Hey Johnny
Quick question about the burner.
I just picked up this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-SBCIS-Single-Burner-Stove/dp/B0094BPHAO/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i
It looks super similar to yours. When I put it together, I see that there's a pretty big air gap between the valve and the burner. It seems this is to allow air to mix with the propane? Just verifying, cuz my inexperience would lead me to believe that a gap in the propane flow might be dangerous.

Thanks.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:21 PM »
You are correct.. Allows the mix

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
How easy is it to disconnect the piping above the sieve to clean out the chaff between roasts? It would seem that chaff would accumulate quickly while doing back to back 1lb charges.

Offline rlevine

• Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:49 AM »
The end of the pipe (where that wooden collar is) is actually a separate piece of pipe with thumbscrew that can be slid up and down. In this way, you can raise up the end of the pipe to allow more room for removing the chaff tray.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 06:33:51 AM »
Exactly what rlevine said...It's extremely easy..Slide it up and boom!

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Now I want to upgrade my Huky even more. When I originally looked at the photo, I didn't piece together that it's the same wooden sleeve I'm familiar with. Nice setup Johnny4lsu.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
Thanks Kenn! I am so happy with the upgrade. Life is much easier

Offline dynamiteid

• Serial Number: 559
  • J or T : J vent
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
Hi Johnny. Is there plenty of clearance when you lift the sleeve to remove the chaffe tray? Does the sleeve stay attached to the pipe when you loosen it and remove the tray? Maybe a quick video demo would be helpful.

I see the clear advantage of the new "T" exhaust when using a cyclone, but haven't seen the clear advantage otherwise since you still have to do a slight disassembly to empty the tray between roasts. However, I was envisioning having to remove the pipe, not a simple sleeve lift. Also, is it any harder to clear green beans out of the chute during charge? I currently blow into the pipe at charge to push the last few beans into the drum. Is this still possible with the new design?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »
Take a close look at my picture.

The wooden sleeve that sits on top of the funnel and the fan has a small silver screw on the right side.

If you unscrew it, it then slides up the pipe and once you do that you just simple tighten that screw and it holds the wooden sleeve up in place.

This allows approx 1/2" space between the funnel and bottom of the wooden sleeve.

The whole chaff tray and funnel easily pulls right out. It's effortless. I'll be glad to post a video when I get back home.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM