Author Topic: My 500T Upgrade Setup  (Read 39119 times)

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
Re: My 500T Upgrade Setup
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »
Just took everything apart after 3 roasts yesterday and fortunately no beans or chaff stuck in the exhaust tube.  I also made sure to tip the roaster in 3 directions after each drop.  In all cases there were 10 or so beans that came out of the pipe.  This is in addition to the usual that get stuck in the input pipe. So I am thinking that if you micro manage it, you can likely avoid the clogging - but will still need to disassemble the T and clean it every 5 roasts or so the clear the oil buildup.

I am still thinking to switch back to the original J-pipe for now, and perhaps use the T when I am ready to invest in setting up a cyclone unit.

Offline murphroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Just took everything apart after 3 roasts yesterday and fortunately no beans or chaff stuck in the exhaust tube.  I also made sure to tip the roaster in 3 directions after each drop.  In all cases there were 10 or so beans that came out of the pipe.  This is in addition to the usual that get stuck in the input pipe. So I am thinking that if you micro manage it, you can likely avoid the clogging - but will still need to disassemble the T and clean it every 5 roasts or so the clear the oil buildup.

I am still thinking to switch back to the original J-pipe for now, and perhaps use the T when I am ready to invest in setting up a cyclone unit.

To be clear:

Do we have an oil buildup problem on the T in addition to potential clogging that does not exist in the original J-pipe? If so, I wonder if this info should be added to the Pre-Purchase FAQs.

I'll be sticking it out with the T until it becomes a problem. So far, all the chaff blocking the airflow on the screen seems like a bigger issue. This makes me want to look into a cyclone. Anyone have ideas on cheaper, DIY options?

SusanJoM

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
I'll be sticking it out with the T until it becomes a problem.

Interesting.
I wonder if anyone has asked Mr. Li for a reversion package????
For people who bought the T format as their first and only HUKY and now wish they had the J format????

Oh I'm so glad I'm not Mr. Li.....

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
I wonder if anyone who bought a Huky (t-pipe or original) thought you could just roast and roast and roast and roast without ever doing routine maintenance/cleaning?

I come from a modified air popcorn popper. I had to clean that thing up every few roasts and I was only doing a cup or cup and a half at a time.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline murphroast

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
I wonder if anyone who bought a Huky (t-pipe or original) thought you could just roast and roast and roast and roast without ever doing routine maintenance/cleaning?

That was my original thought too, but responses in this thread are making it sound like it's night and day to the extreme.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »

That was my original thought too, but responses in this thread are making it sound like it's night and day to the extreme.

Not a night and day extreme at all.  I was cleaning the J pipe every so often, and was not getting a big buildup of beans and chaff.  My issue for now is with the assembly and disassembly of the T-pipe.  Because everything is put together with set screws, the fitment of the T-pipe is a little fiddly, and the areas that need to be cleaned are only accessible by taking the T-pipe apart, I am choosing to go back to my original setup (which I did this afternoon).  I think if you keep after the T-Pipe, it's a non-issue.  I just prefer not to go through the disassemble/reassemble process so often.  Just lazy I guess....   

Offline venerablemonster

• it's all in the reflexes
  • Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 682
  • J or T : T pipe
  • Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Well, I've gotta say, just did my first few roasts with my new 500T, and I had major chaff blockage issues on the first roast. The second, I didn't do a good enough job clearing out the pipes and ended up with the beans backing up on the next charge because of chaff. I spent a long time clearing out the pipes after that and charged slowly next.

This ended up working out. Did a quick rinse at the end. I'm hoping my variac will help when it gets here. At least I won't be messing with the dampers which are evil little devices that just exacerbate the clogging issue. At least they did for me.

I'm guessing certain beans/profiles will be worse than others in terms of clogging. In the end, it felt like I just needed to pay a lot more attention to manage the issue before it took off.
sic parvis magna

Offline murphroast

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
Not a night and day extreme at all.  I was cleaning the J pipe every so often, and was not getting a big buildup of beans and chaff.  My issue for now is with the assembly and disassembly of the T-pipe.  Because everything is put together with set screws, the fitment of the T-pipe is a little fiddly, and the areas that need to be cleaned are only accessible by taking the T-pipe apart, I am choosing to go back to my original setup (which I did this afternoon).  I think if you keep after the T-Pipe, it's a non-issue.  I just prefer not to go through the disassemble/reassemble process so often.  Just lazy I guess....   

I see. That makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm roasting as we speak, and wanted to mention how awesome this machine has been. I forgot to record a few steps in Artisan, but I'll have to post this profile for a Yirg that came out great. I can't wait to brew it.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM