Author Topic: Heat sources  (Read 65793 times)

Offline wideasleep1

• Solid or Perf: Solid w/ Flax Oil Seasoning
  • Serial Number: 562
Re: Heat sources
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »
I specifically requested propane, since I already use it for BBQ. I'll have a bit of fiddling with hoses, but no bother. Butane would be nice, especially in house, but my current plan is to use the hottest burner 14K+ BTU of my range, and see how it goes.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Well, my setup is the standard IR burner provided by Mr. Li. (I didn't specify propane/butane, so I don't know if there is any difference in orifice size or not. There isn't a huge difference (12%) in between propane and butane anyhow. The big difference in energy content is between Natural gas and Propane/Butane. Also, the only available gas tubes in Sweden contains a mix of butane and propane because of our long winters.)
I decided to start up with a standard swedish regulator which is 30mBar (0.45 psi) and have gotten really good results with that. I get around 2.75 kPa on the built-in dial. (That's about 35-40% on that dial.) I did season the drum with oil on the outside to make it more responsive, but I guess that I could use the roaster and IR burner straight out of the box with a full 500g load and reach 1C within 9-10 minutes, so the IR burner is definitely good enough if you decide to go with it. The Huky is built to use that burner and fits perfectly on top of it.
There is a long thread on HB about seasoning the drum so I will not go into that. But I do believe that seasoning the drum makes a big difference.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

SusanJoM

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »
There is now a link to that thread in the Resources section.

Offline dickcoffee

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 454
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 1 pound
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
I'm considering ordering a butane IR burner from Mr. Li. I've searched high and low for one in the U.S., but I've come up empty. I considered getting the Iwatani stove, but as I've been roasting with the perforated drum, I'm concerned about not having enough control over its open flame. I'm thinking the IR butane combination would be nice for the basement in this winter weather. If I do, perhaps I'll ask him to throw in one of his green lpg regulators too.
Dick

Offline wideasleep1

• Solid or Perf: Solid w/ Flax Oil Seasoning
  • Serial Number: 562
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
I'm considering ordering a butane IR burner from Mr. Li. I've searched high and low for one in the U.S., but I've come up empty. I considered getting the Iwatani stove, but as I've been roasting with the perforated drum, I'm concerned about not having enough control over its open flame. I'm thinking the IR butane combination would be nice for the basement in this winter weather. If I do, perhaps I'll ask him to throw in one of his green lpg regulators too.

Same. I searched and was specifically looking for the ceramic disc or other flame suppression burner head, and came up with only a few candidates, and while cheaper, didn't seem as hefty as what Mr. Li sells, IF that's even what we/I get...I don't know yet. Still, going to try my hand on the gas range first...open flame, but 45K BTU accord. to specs. Don't mind a bit of chaff on top, but will likely remove the rubber feet for something a bit more durable...waiting to see before plotting my next move...

SusanJoM

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 06:43:06 AM »
will likely remove the rubber feet for something a bit more durable..

You can just take them off.  You don't need to replace them with anything.  The HUKY stands just fine on the stove without 'em.

Offline Tapedeck

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
I have a Blichmann propane burner for homebrewing the other finest perishable beverage. It's capable of "Approximately 72,000 BTU/hr burner with low flame combustion" and it can be run very, very low... it doesn't have to be cranked into the realm of burning madness.

My curiosity is whether or not that seems like a viable option, in lieu of yet another redundant piece of equipment. I mean, we're not so much tracking the arbitrary value on a burner's knob, as we're tracking MET, ET, and BT, right? So assuming this has way more power than I need, but can very much run in the operating range of a stovetop burner, then it's just a matter of learning how much of a turn of a given knob effects the temperature of the drum as I go, right?

If you already had one, and you knew you were going to roast in the garage (with the door open) or outside, would you just use it?

SusanJoM

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
Does it have a gauge?
Can one be added if not?

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
And can you modify it so the feet are the right height? Only other thing is the diameter of the flame- it's hard to tell from the photo. If you want to compare- the stock IR stove is 4.25" across.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Tapedeck

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
I'm sure that a gauge can be added, but it also has very fine control on its valve.

The flame can be kept from licking up past the upper edge of the burner. But yes, my concern is mostly "is this much wider than the area I need to heat on the Huky?" I could certainly also fabricate something to sit the roaster on, on top of the (very secure) burner.

I sort of view the Huky as a large, square spaghetti pot filled with mechanical happiness. But I guess I should find the dimensions of both devices.

In normal operation on a stovetop or any of the burners folks like, are you heating more or less the whole bottom of the huky, or is it a specific area? If the latter, does anyone want to either measure or guestimate? I'm joining you guys anyway, so you won't be able to get rid of me by telling me that my burner is scary.

For height on the fan, etc, I plan to DIY that via building material I already have for homebrewing. As you might imagine, it's dangerous to move a keg full of 10 gallons of boiling liquid. One does what one must to get things at correct operating heights. But some combination of a cart, or a table, or cinderblocks and bricks... it won't matter, that's a trivial challenge where the end goal is a perfect cup of coffee. That's not the art, but rather the accumulation of tools--we are good there. :)

Offline Tapedeck

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
oh, and the gauge--I was thinking about that. Certainly one can be added, but I'm not convinced it's relevant in the end, because I think that with ET and MET being measured, the date from those probes would give you a means of measuring whether or not you're in the right ballpark. Am I nuts?

Offline Gregr

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Just measured- the open bottom of the roaster is about 6.5"x7.25". With a 4.25" IR stove element that gives you an idea of how much flame coverage there is.
As for the gauge- I'm not sayin you're nuts...  ;D but I do think you should have a gauge, yes. Unless the fine control valve on your stove is marked/measured somewhere? You could make your own marks I suppose- I just think reference points are important for repeatability, consistency.

Offline randyh

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »
Question from a soon to be Huky owner...
Is there a difference in roast quality using the IR burner compared to the open flame and the solid drum compared to the perforated?  Lots of questions.  Using a popcorn popper.  Help me!
RandyH

Offline Gregr

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
Definitely a difference in the process but in roast quality- that question has not been answered yet :) We have some folks that are using the perforated drum now so hopefully soon we will all know what the differences are. One sort of significant difference for you is that since there are lots of people using the solid drum/faster motor you will be able to find a lot more info on how to roast with that set up. If that matters to you.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »
I have been roasting with the perf drum and have ordered the new faceplate and Tpipe upgrade.  Once I get these new pieces - I plan to try out the solid drum.  I will let you know if there is a big difference in roast results.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM