Author Topic: Heat sources  (Read 65737 times)

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
Re: Heat sources
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
I have been roasting with the perf drum and have ordered the new faceplate and Tpipe upgrade.  Once I get these new pieces - I plan to try out the solid drum.  I will let you know if there is a big difference in roast results.
Ha...I plan to do the opposite...Hopefully I can shed some light on Solid-->Perf
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »
MSR rapidfire camp stove does not seem to work.  I thought it offered 9000 BTU but I was probably mistaken.  With it, full throttle, 250 gram required 17 minutes to a 213C drop.
  (I can't seem to upload images with my Powermac G5 and safari.
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 06:16:51 AM »
That's unfortunate. The stock stove is rated at 11.5K BTU and although we've found it perfectly adequate for a full pound, even slightly more, there are those that think it's underpowered. They're wrong  ;), but if I were looking for a powerful stove that fits the bill (sturdy, inexpensive and powerful) I'd go with that Cajun Cookware model, no doubt about it. It's so cheap (saw it for $20 on one website) I might just get one as a back-up.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
That's unfortunate. The stock stove is rated at 11.5K BTU and although we've found it perfectly adequate for a full pound, even slightly more, there are those that think it's underpowered. They're wrong  ;), but if I were looking for a powerful stove that fits the bill (sturdy, inexpensive and powerful) I'd go with that Cajun Cookware model, no doubt about it. It's so cheap (saw it for $20 on one website) I might just get one as a back-up.
stock is definitely adequate for the roaster rated capacity.

Although my cajun direct burner allows me to roast 535g batches really fast at only half power.

I may consider selling my stock burner if interested.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline dickcoffee

• Serial Number: 454
  • Charge Weight : 1 pound
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
Yeah, I roasted a pound of Colombian the other day to first crack in 6:49 - a little too fast for me.  But it speaks to what the stock burner can do. 
Dick

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
OK, there's several differences between the two stoves in question besides btu. Stock stove is IR and Cajun is open flame (atmospheric burner). I'm not familiar with the science, but the ceramic insert probably transmits the heat differently than the open flame (IR more radiant)? Second difference is the open flame burner can adjust heat output faster (burner response) than the IR burner.

Using a dual stage regulator helps with the very low gas settings we often use after 1C, a good idea for anyone using the Cajun style stove. Same thing for adding the pressure gauge/needle valve.

The ultimate open flame setup would be a burner bar with four jets, pressure gauge, and precise needle valve. Having the burner bar on adjustable brackets for height adjustment would make the set-up just about perfect. This would change how the diversion pipe fit on the exhaust fan and might require further modifications.  :o

SusanJoM

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
OK, there's several differences between the two stoves in question besides btu. Stock stove is IR and Cajun is open flame (atmospheric burner). I'm not familiar with the science, but the ceramic insert probably transmits the heat differently than the open flame (IR more radiant)? Second difference is the open flame burner can adjust heat output faster (burner response) than the IR burner.

As usual, Hank opened my eyes/mind to something I had not really been paying attention to in the discussions of heat sources:  what really is an IR stove?  If anyone is interested in a bit more depth on the difference between IR and open flame, I found this discussion (okay, it's about grilling, but it's still interesting) helpful:
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=4139

Offline phischmi

• Serial Number: 693
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 333g
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
This just in:
The LPG stove can not work with butane, but there is another stove which work with butane, please check attached.
The Infrared Stove rating is: 3.5KW/H=11,942BTU.

Can you pls confirm, that if i order the stock IR stove for use with butane, it's that one displayed above for use with customary 8oz butane cans?

Just asking, because installing the stock propane stove is obviously a bit tricky in Germany.

Thanks in advance!

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
Has anyone used one of those green propane bottles, like for camp stoves, with the Huky? Like one of these:

I'm not too keen on buying a 20 pound propane tank and lugging that around in the house, so I was thinking of running the tubing Mr. Li provides from the IR heater to an on/off valve, then screwing in one of those small propane tanks.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline Chert

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

The ultimate open flame setup would be a burner bar with four jets, pressure gauge, and precise needle valve. Having the burner bar on adjustable brackets for height adjustment would make the set-up just about perfect. This would change how the diversion pipe fit on the exhaust fan and might require further modifications.  :o

Why would a bar be better?  I see the cajun cookware ring style fitting beneath the HUKY 500 quite well.  And if controlled wouldn't the ring be more even heat than 4 jets?  Would the bar be a linear bar or two along the long axis of the drum?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

Why would a bar be better?  I see the cajun cookware ring style fitting beneath the HUKY 500 quite well.  And if controlled wouldn't the ring be more even heat than 4 jets?  Would the bar be a linear bar or two along the long axis of the drum?
With a small drum a single bar is sufficient, the Feima 800n has 4 atmospheric burners, the Santoker has two burners. But the USRC 1 pounder has a circular cast iron burner, SF1 the same? With the 1K roasters Feima goes to a double burner bar, and larger ones have more bars. The individual burners placement can distribute the heat evenly across the bottom section of the drum. With the circular burners, some flame is not contacting the drum, more radiant than direct.

If USRC is using a circular gas burner, obviously this will work with the Huky. What I noticed with the dual stage regulator, there was more blue flame than yellow at the same very low gas pressure. I agree, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel; if the Cajun cooker fits the stove/diversion pipe it's the reasonable open flame solution.

Offline Chert

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Interesting, useful information.

As long as one uses enough airflow and keeps the drum turning at the 72rpm much of the roasting is convective heat.  But with low airflow and especially if the flame is near the drum then more conductive heat and hotspots depending on the form of the burner.  Right?

Is the following correct?

Is the basic setup: tank, then regulator, then control valve then burner beneath the roaster?

And a more controlled setup would be: tank, then regulator, then second regulator, then needle valve, then gauge then burner beneath the roaster?

Can the second regulator be set to limit total gas flow to say 15K BTU?

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »

With a small drum a single bar is sufficient, the Feima 800n has 4 atmospheric burners, the Santoker has two burners. But the USRC 1 pounder has a circular cast iron burner, SF1 the same? With the 1K roasters Feima goes to a double burner bar, and larger ones have more bars. The individual burners placement can distribute the heat evenly across the bottom section of the drum. With the circular burners, some flame is not contacting the drum, more radiant than direct.

If USRC is using a circular gas burner, obviously this will work with the Huky. What I noticed with the dual stage regulator, there was more blue flame than yellow at the same very low gas pressure. I agree, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel; if the Cajun cooker fits the stove/diversion pipe it's the reasonable open flame solution.
Works great for me (Mainly because I'm actually a Cajun! Tried and true!)

Offline Chert

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »
If you choose an outdoor style propane burner, make sure it is the low power 20-30 K BTU, not high power.  I tried this weekend with a 60K rate Campfire Chef.  It was instructive about how I want my Huky to alignwith a propane stove and other points, but I learned that the high power option is too much power with insufficient control at low heat settings.  It actually cuts out frequently at the lower settings, which is inconvenient at best.

Still no pictures.  how does this forum work vis-a-vis posting images?

SusanJoM

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »
What isn't working?

If you open Attachments and Other Options, and look down below that there is a button that says Browse.  If you click on that you should be able to search your computer for the image you want to upload. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:19:53 PM by SusanJoM »

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM