Author Topic: Please edumacate me!  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Turboner

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 962
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350 or 454
Please edumacate me!
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »
Is there a noticeable difference in overall greens quality from one respectable supplier to another? I've only bought coffee from Bodhi Leaf and started looking at other suppliers, but the shipping is what really makes me go back to BL over and over again since I am able to pick up from their warehouse. Is price a good indicator of the taste potential of the coffee? I.E. Klatch is offering a # of Sumatra Mutu Batak for $7.50 but BL is offering, which seems to me, the same coffee for only $5.61. Why is one almost $2 more than the other?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Please edumacate me!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »
Bodi Leaf works with Klatch as well; the shipping difference in cost along with their specials makes the greens a buy. I buy a lot of Bodi Leaf because of price and sometimes there are some sleepers.

I suggest you buy some really high end greens $15-20 a pound; and see if the difference is worth it. To me all of Bodi Leaf offerings are specialty grade and worth the low prices. Other vendors have higher quality beans; Sweet Marias and Roastmasters; Klatch with their Konga's.

GCBC has some Yemen beans; Roastmaster had some Aida Batlle beans. I didn't find the Batlle beans $10 a pound better; but they are great. The thing is; specialty coffee grade is already very good; and better is more rare. It's just a matter of keeping up with the buzz on "whats new"; or getting something fresh from a local roaster who direct trades.

The choices are so much better now for home roasters, with specialty coffee scene blowing up.  :D

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »
Hankua, you are all over it.  Had done the bulk of my buying from Sweet Maria's through the years largely due to Tom's descriptors but discovered Bodhi Leaf more than a year ago and the quality of their greens and prices have been excellent.  Descripions are very basic but they are great to do business with.

Roastmasters a tad more expensive but again top notch beans and a good company.  Had wondered about the Aida Batile greens and appreciate Hankuas comment that they were great but +$15 pound?  She is one of my hero's in the coffee farm world and hope to have a few pounds of her beans some day.

GCBC ok maybe did buy Yemenis there few years ago.

Impressed with Hankua's insight and its true.   In the past 15 years so many new specialty greens suppliers have exploded onto the scene making it so much more exciting for home roasters.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
Klatch is offering a # of Sumatra Mutu Batak for $7.50 but BL is offering, which seems to me, the same coffee for only $5.61. Why is one almost $2 more than the other?

It might be that Klatch has more overhead costs that they factor into their costs.  It might also be that the beans are actually from different 'lots' and that their costs were not the same despite their both being Sumatra Mutu Batak.   

However, if you can buy direct from BL and eliminate the shipping costs, it seems to me that you have a lot of extra wiggle room in your bean budget.  Lucky you ! ! !
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM