Author Topic: 20lbs of Rwanda Tumba Cocatu  (Read 10996 times)

Offline chrisdodson

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 673
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
20lbs of Rwanda Tumba Cocatu
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
Just sharing my joy -- 20lbs of the good stuff from Rwanda. Has anybody worked with this coffee before?  :D

Instagram: ChrisDodsonCoffee
Twitter (if you wanna see me tweet about soccer all the time): ChrisDodson9

SusanJoM

Re: 20lbs of Rwanda Tumba Cocatu
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
If I understand correctly your HUKY hasn't arrived yet?  That's what we call putting the cart before the horse :-))))     I'm guessing you are going to like that bean a lot.

But I have a question:  I see that you have ordered the perforated drum and the fast motor.  I haven't seen that combination before and am wondering what influenced that choice?

Offline chrisdodson

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 673
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:25 AM »
If I understand correctly your HUKY hasn't arrived yet?  That's what we call putting the cart before the horse :-))))     I'm guessing you are going to like that bean a lot.

But I have a question:  I see that you have ordered the perforated drum and the fast motor.  I haven't seen that combination before and am wondering what influenced that choice?

Good eye ;) That's actually wrong. The Huky I have on the way has a 48rpm motor.

My horse broke away from my cart and ran off long ago! I've been a barista serving specialty grade coffee since 2007. As it turns out, I am a textbook introvert, and like the idea of roasting in solitude much more than the idea of being a people-person at an espresso machine for 8 hours at a time (not to say I don't like people, I just am fond of smaller crowds).

The next chapter for me is learning the roasting aspect of the coffee industry. I've stocked up on 20lbs of that Rwanda, and 10lbs of a FTO Peru from Sweet Maria's as well. The reason I got so much coffee is because it takes 10 days for Sweet Maria's to ship to my door. I don't know what I'd do if I ran out of green and had to wait for more to arrive!
Instagram: ChrisDodsonCoffee
Twitter (if you wanna see me tweet about soccer all the time): ChrisDodson9

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
Pick up a popcorn popper or similar and use that while you're waiting for the Huky.

I've run that Rwandan through my popcorn popper many times. It was best for the wife and I when I roasted on the lighter side. Dark is good too, just not what we were looking for.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »

Good eye ;) That's actually wrong. The Huky I have on the way has a 48rpm motor.

My horse broke away from my cart and ran off long ago! I've been a barista serving specialty grade coffee since 2007. As it turns out, I am a textbook introvert, and like the idea of roasting in solitude much more than the idea of being a people-person at an espresso machine for 8 hours at a time (not to say I don't like people, I just am fond of smaller crowds).

The next chapter for me is learning the roasting aspect of the coffee industry. I've stocked up on 20lbs of that Rwanda, and 10lbs of a FTO Peru from Sweet Maria's as well. The reason I got so much coffee is because it takes 10 days for Sweet Maria's to ship to my door. I don't know what I'd do if I ran out of green and had to wait for more to arrive!

Well good !!!   That sounds better.

As yet another text-book introvert, I appreciate your perspective.  I may well have enough greens stashed to keep me roasting for longer than my current life expectancy....:-))))   But that never stops me from buying more when I read good things about a bean.

Also I think it's very smart to order a lot of one bean so you can really understand what you are doing with/to it.  At least until you can trust your first and perhaps only roast of any one bean, having a lot of a good one makes a whole lot more sense than buying 1# samples.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM