Author Topic: Just got my Huky 500T! and..................  (Read 37504 times)

Offline Daave

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 704
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350
Re: Just got my Huky 500T! and..................
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
You mean as in removing all four nuts/screws, pulling the motor, then setting it back in?

-Mike

No, just loosening the screws. I never completely removed the screws and bolts. I just loosened them enough so that the motor could be jiggled around a bit before re-tightening the screws. I'm pretty sure the root cause of the metal noise is that the motor is slightly off axis, and it just needs to be adjusted so that it's properly aligned. It makes sense if you think about it that many of us have that issue upon first receiving our Huky, since it just shipped thousands of miles and bumped around who knows how much during the shipping.

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Update

I received a prompt reply from Mr. Li this morning to my email sent last night.  He says:

"Sorry for making your inconvenience,

I think the sound comes from the reduction gear inside the motor, the sound should disappear after running for a while, please don't worry about it, i will send you a new one if it malfunction. I think to solder the wire doesn't need to much of skill, 20 gauge should be fine for it.

Please feel free to let me know if there is any further problem."

Today I'll try soldering my broken wires and do some motor jiggling.

Daave,

You mention loosening the three motor screws.  Mine has four.

Offline Daave

• Serial Number: 704
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »
My mistake. I meant 4 :)

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
Update

I received a prompt reply from Mr. Li this morning to my email sent last night.  He says:

"Sorry for making your inconvenience,

I think the sound comes from the reduction gear inside the motor, the sound should disappear after running for a while, please don't worry about it, i will send you a new one if it malfunction. I think to solder the wire doesn't need to much of skill, 20 gauge should be fine for it.

Please feel free to let me know if there is any further problem."

I got that same e-mail from Mr. Li, minus the soldering part.

At this point, I am comfortable with the noise with the additional info from Mr. Li. I'll try the suggestion from Daave about jiggling the motor while it is running. If the noise persists, oh well. I am completely confident Mr. Li will honor his word and replace the motor if it malfunctions. That was my concern all along, possible long term damage. The noise never really bothered me until others started talking about it.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline thusband

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
I just soldered the wires so will fiddle with motor now.

Well, I guess it's better.  At least the rubbing sound is mostly gone.  That high pitched whine is still there.  I noticed if I pulled back on the motor when the cover was off and the screws slightly loosened it was really quiet, probably like it should be.  As soon as I let go the whine returned.

Like you I'm going live with it for a while and hope, like Mr. Li says, it gets better.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
Maybe some sort of rubber faucet washers/O rings could isolate the noise or vibration?

Offline thusband

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
Maybe some sort of rubber faucet washers/O rings could isolate the noise or vibration?
I'm not sure where they would go.  I thought maybe a shim between the motor/gear reduction and the front of the housing would exert some backward pressure.  When I had the screws loose and pulled on the motor the whine stopped.  I'm hoping after a bunch of roasts with the heating and cooling cycles it'll wear in.

p.s. I like your Home Roasting on Flipboard. Nice job!

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »
I'm not sure where they would go.  I thought maybe a shim between the motor/gear reduction and the front of the housing would exert some backward pressure.  When I had the screws loose and pulled on the motor the whine stopped.  I'm hoping after a bunch of roasts with the heating and cooling cycles it'll wear in.

p.s. I like your Home Roasting on Flipboard. Nice job!
Thanks!
For shims possibly stainless washers might work?
If adjusting the motor/tuning is going to happen more than once; I'd cut the wires and install insulated male/female terminals. Makes switching out a motor much easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Male-Female-Solderless-Bullet-Connectors/dp/B009638QJY/ref=pd_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=03VQ94WZFN0Y5NQ1E62F

Offline thusband

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
Male/female terminals is a good idea.

I did three roasts today with a cheap Kenyan break in blend and I think they came out good.  Because they're throw away beans I only kept one roast to try for the heck of it. 

The BT, ET and MET Artisan graphs for all three look very nice but I still need to understand it more.

More important the high pitched whine has all but disappeared.  This thing purrs now. Looks like Mr. Li was right.  I'm a happy bunny.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
Good news, great!

I took the motor cover off just to see what the issues were. Wow! That turned into a time consuming disaster. Stripped out the tiny screws and the little screwdriver, bummer. But I found some flat head screws that were close enough but the cover plate did not want to fully seat.

The motor housing is slightly out of round, whereas the end plate is round. Finally after struggling the light bulb went off and I found a extra large spring clamp set 90* off set; a few taps with a leather mallet and it seated. That was a lot of work.

Takeaway: don't take the motor housing apart unless it's totally necessary.  ;)

Offline squawmanex

• Serial Number: 851
  • J or T : T
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
Hi guys, i just received my Huky and had the same problem. I disassembled the motor housing and pulled it out, being victim of my curious nature. I could isolate the noise to that male to male adapter btw the drum and the motor. If you take a close look the adapter is not exactly flat. Maybe a close tolerance piece would be a solution or just grind until you get perfectly level/flat which is rather an impossible job considering the small piece. I guess it would grind itself with mileage put on the Huky. Since this is an old post, how have been your results through time.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM