Author Topic: What's your preferred brewing method?  (Read 15838 times)

Offline Daave

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 704
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350
What's your preferred brewing method?
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:51 PM »
I have a very nice Lido 2 + Aeropress setup at work that I use twice daily for myself. Here's my recipe:

17 grams of coffee at a setting of 15 on my Lido 2
8 oz of 180F water
Inverted Aeropress
Rinsed paper filter

2 Minutes total:

0 seconds: Pour 3 oz into my Aeropress. Let it bloom.
20 seconds: Stir for 5-10 seconds.
30 seconds: Pour the rest of my water (5 oz) into my Aeropress.
90 seconds: Flip the Aeropress on my mug. Slow 30 second press.
120 seconds: Done!

The Lido 2 is such a great grinder. It works perfect for me at work since it's incredibly fast to grind (Maybe 15-20 seconds total), and it's quiet since it's not electric. My setting of 15 for my grind size also took a while to dial in. I've found that even 1 setting plus or minus gets me a sour or bitter cup of coffee.

At home I use my Brazen Plus. If people are interested, I'll be happy to post my recipe for that as well. It's an awesome drip coffee maker :)

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: What's your preferred brewing method?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
I haven't heard of the Lido 2 grinder.  It would be perfect for two people and my Aeropress.  Love that scale too.

Offline Daave

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
The Lido 2 & Lido 3 are an incredible value, even though they're $175/$195. Here's a fun thread comparing the Lido 2 to the Baratza Preciso. I should note that I only grind coffee for drip with my Lido. The general consensus is that the Lido 2/3 aren't so good for an espresso grind, but some people say they have had good results for that. The quality of coffee I get with my Lido is night and day compared to the previous burr grinders I used.

The scale is a cheap $9 American Weigh Scale, but it works perfect. I own 2. I also picked up this very nice coffee scoop, which I use to scoop the beans into that little container on the scale.

Offline thusband

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
OK, the Lido 2 is on my shortlist to purchase next.

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:07:10 PM »
I have that same scale, and had to retired it for this other fancy pants one I bought. It's really handy in the AeroPress bag. Gregr recently got me drinking more espresso shots, and I pulled that scale out of retirement to monitor the weight during extraction.

There was a time I considered buying a Lido, but steered away from it. I pre-ordered the ROK Grinder, and have been waiting months for it. Hopefully they won't have anymore delays and will ship later this month. I'll likely use it exclusively for cupping my home roasts.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-revolutionary-rok-coffee-grinder#/story

AeroPress is one of my favorite brew methods. In my experience, it has been one of the most forgiving.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:43:29 PM by kenneroast »

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »
Yes, Aeropress is what I prefer too. I've dialed into just about the same time schedule as Davee, which gives me the sweetness and fruitiness I like. But I do use a Hario V60 when serving more than a single cup. The timing is about the same with the Hario, i.e. bloom til 25sec and then a steady pour until around 80sec, which makes the coffee stop dripping at around the 2minute mark. I find it harder to get that "perfect" cup with the Hario, but at least I do get a good cup.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:06:32 AM »
Thanks for that Dave. I travel with an Aeropress (Clever Coffee Dripper too) and Hario hand grinder. Now I can see that a new travel grinder is in my future. The Lido looks tons better than what I have.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline thusband

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
It never occurred to me that a great cup of coffee while on the road is entirely possible.  With my beans, Aeropress and a Lido 2 I'll be all set.

Offline Daave

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
The Lido 3 is the newer version of the Lido 2 which was made with travel in mind. According to Orphan Espresso (The maker of this grinder), the US version of the Lido 2 still uses the original Italian burrs, while the Lido 3 uses a slightly less agressive Swiss burr set. The consensus seems to be that the Lido 2 has a slight edge over the Lido 3 in grind consistency, but not by much.

If you're going to do lots of travelling with the grinder, I'd recommend the Lido 3 since it's a little more compact with the folding handle, and slightly lighter. It also comes standard with the travel case and the anti-static grind chamber thing (Although you can buy most of the Lido 3 upgrades for the Lido 2 - I've bought the upgraded grounds jar, upgraded knob, and hopper stopper for mine).

I do a little travel with mine, but not enough for me to consider "upgrading" to the Lido 3. I'm perfectly happy with my Lido 2. If I ever have to purchase a second grinder for whatever reason, I might actually still buy another Lido 2. I'm not sure...

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
That's great- thanks for the lowdown on the Lidos- I will get the 3 I think. I travel quite a bit and that cup of coffee is such an incredible luxury on the road it's almost magical. Something about self indulgence ;D
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Daave

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
That's great- thanks for the lowdown on the Lidos- I will get the 3 I think. I travel quite a bit and that cup of coffee is such an incredible luxury on the road it's almost magical. Something about self indulgence ;D

I also had a Hario a while back, and Porlex, and another one... all of them are about the same - significantly better than a blade grinder, but they still leave a lot to be desired. They're all okay for really fine grinding, but that takes forever. As soon as you try and go a little coarser (Which I do for my Aeropress), the consistency is all over the place. I did back the EvenGrind on KickStarter just for fun which is trying to address the wobbly floating burr issue with the cheap hand grinders, but that is currently estimated to ship in October.

Anyways, you'll love the Lido 3. It will be night and day when compared to the Hario :)

Offline Kfir

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 04:03:39 AM »
I like my Hario V60 and my 6 cup Chemex for brewing paired with my Rosco Mini manual grinder.
Also have 2 Aeropress that I rarely use, they produce a more bodied cup and less delicate notes so I usually tend to prefer the pour over.

Besides that at Summer I enjoy a cold brewed coffee from my Hario Mizudashi cold brewer and also playing with Iwaki cold brewer.
A good cold brew mixed with some nice Almond milk and ice is delicious and refreshing in the hot summer we have here.

But a good hardcore espresso with caramels and chocolate notes is hard to beat ;-)

Kfir.

Offline ronnyg

• Serial Number: 518
  • J or T : T
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »
Chemex all the way!!!
22.5g of beans ground on anywhere from 13-16 on my Baratza encore
350g of water heated to 201F
Pour 30-40g and saturate bed and bloom for 45sec total
45sec start continuos slow pour moving circles from inside out and back till 2 min mark (350g should be poured by now)
draw down should last until 3-3:15 if grind is right.

Pour and enjoy!

I have just about every type of brew method available and for me the chemex truly meets the standard.  I like the controllable factor of a pour over in a full saturation type method where the grinds have some time to sit

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM