Author Topic: 2nd Huky Roasting Competition Discussion  (Read 91884 times)

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
2nd Huky Roasting Competition Discussion
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:15:37 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the second Huky Roasting Competition is in the works! To get things rolling we'd like to discuss any questions you might have about it. Is time an issue for you? Cost? Lack of experience? Please list any concerns you might have and we'll see what we can do to make this as fun as possible.

HERE IS THE NITTY GRITTY

2nd HUKY Roasting Competition Announcement

It's official.
Demitasse Cafe in Little Tokyo is going to host our November Competition.
Here's what you need to know and what you need to do:

Competition Date:  November 19th
Bean Submission Deadline:  November 16th
Bean Order and Payment Deadline:  October 12

Beans sourced from and described by Demitasse:

One of our favorite coffees of the year, and one we found on our recent trip to Guatemala. This killer coffee comes to us from Finca Santa Ana, a very progressive-minded farm located in the highest part of Pueblo Nuevo Vinas in Santa Rosa. This farm has been featured eight times in Cup of Excellence over the years. Among other things, Fernando Diaz implemented drying almost all of his coffees on drying beds this past harvest and it shows in his coffees.
This particular coffee we sourced from him is a microlot consisting entirely of the Red Catuai variety. We bought all he produced of it and absolutely love this coffee.
Flavor Notes:
Strawberry, pear, grapes, sweet tea.    $7/lb

If you want to participate, please PM SusanJoM with the following information:
Member Name
Real Name
Shipping Address
Phone Number
Email Address
How many pounds of beans you would like reserved for you.

Payment to be made made by Paypal
by October 12
Paypal your payment to Greg (greg@gregrothschild.com)
be sure to “send money to family or a friend” or Greg will not get all the $$
 $7.00/pound of beans ordered plus shipping ($6.10 for up to 4#)
To get Greg's mailing address for your roasted submissions or if you have questions, please PM GregR
Please submit 100 grams.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:24:06 PM by SusanJoM »
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: 2nd Huky Roasting Competition Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »
Although I lack a lot of experience it sounds fun and could be a great learning experience.  How does it work?

edit: Just saw that first thread.  I'll read through that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:29:04 AM by thusband »

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
Although I lack a lot of experience it sounds fun and could be a great learning experience.  How does it work?

edit: Just saw that first thread.  I'll read through that.

The general idea is to have some fun roasting the same bean, discussing the roasting/plans or lack of, talk about how it tastes, send the beans off to a professional to evaluate all the different entries blind.

One issue with this is most professionals are extremely busy and can only spare a reasonable amount of time; which includes setup, grinding, evaluation, and cleanup.

We're working on finding a host in LA, but actually it can be done just about anywhere an Artisan Roastery is located. Most green coffee distributors have cupping rooms and could judge for us as well.

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »
Thanks hankua, I'll stay tuned. It sounds like fun.

Offline Jroasts

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 640
  • J or T : T
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the second Huky Roasting Competition is in the works! To get things rolling we'd like to discuss any questions you might have about it. Is time an issue for you? Cost? Lack of experience? Please list any concerns you might have and we'll see what we can do to make this as fun as possible.

This is something I had shown interest in before, but had gotten completely sidetracked.  It's Farmers Market season, busy busy!

No issue for me except undiagnosed ADHD- so if someone could really simplify what is needed to enter this fun competition, that would be awesome.

Example:  1.) send $ via paypal to this email address ___________by this date_____

2.)  send private message to this user _________ with your address.

3.)  Roast by this date______

4.)  Mail on this date _______ to this address ______________
-Jason

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
For those of you that might be afraid to participate- don't be. The first round was quite the learning experience for me. Regardless to how comfortable you feel with your Huky, this is a great opportunity to get some outside the box insight on how your roasting. Taste is a very subjective topic, and (in my opinion) receiving some constructive criticism usually comes as a reward.

One thing I can tell you to keep in mind is that it'll likely be a cupping evaluation. Unless the judges are willing to pull shots of espresso, optimize your roast accordingly. Basically, try not to stretch out development too much like I did (oops). ;)

However, I had a lot of fun scheming a plan for the 1st round, and hope more people participate this time. Even though it was slightly nerve racking to watch, it was also really cool to see a video of my roasted coffee being evaluated by a more experienced roaster.

Don't be shy.  :D

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
I'm curious if any members outside the US are interested in participating??
If so, we can try to come up with a plan that's inclusive.

Offline Gregr

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »
Our first contest went just like this, except we didn't list specific roast-by and mail-on dates. Those are both great ideas, even the playing field, so to speak.
The next may be a little different depending on where it's held. The venue may play a part in choosing the bean.
And maybe someday we can do a contest just for espresso, you know- since it's so much better than coffee  ;D

This is something I had shown interest in before, but had gotten completely sidetracked.  It's Farmers Market season, busy busy!

No issue for me except undiagnosed ADHD- so if someone could really simplify what is needed to enter this fun competition, that would be awesome.

Example:  1.) send $ via paypal to this email address ___________by this date_____

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
Sounds great- I will check back for updates.  Is there a way to be notified of new posts made in a topic thread?

Our first contest went just like this, except we didn't list specific roast-by and mail-on dates. Those are both great ideas, even the playing field, so to speak.
The next may be a little different depending on where it's held. The venue may play a part in choosing the bean.
And maybe someday we can do a contest just for espresso, you know- since it's so much better than coffee  ;D

-Jason

Offline Gregr

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Just below the last post in any thread there are a few boxes-- one of them is "notify" or "unnotify". If it says "notify" click on it and you will automatically get a notification of a new response to the thread. There may be multiple responses by the time you check in but you will only get one notification until you log in to the forum.

Offline Jroasts

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
Just below the last post in any thread there are a few boxes-- one of them is "notify" or "unnotify". If it says "notify" click on it and you will automatically get a notification of a new response to the thread. There may be multiple responses by the time you check in but you will only get one notification until you log in to the forum.

Perfect, thanks
-Jason

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »

I recently heard back from two LA roasters, Demitasse and Trystero. Russel suggested Greg get in touch with Bobby at Demmitasse. Bobby@cafedemitasse.com. Greg at Trystero got back with me but didn't commit. He might need some help from our members for it to work. Still waiting to hear back after exchanging emails.

Offline Gregr

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »
I'll send Bobby an email now. Thanks!

Offline Gregr

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »
No reply from Bobby  :(

Offline Curtis Martin

• Serial Number: 789
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
I am so excited! I just ordered my Huky a few days ago... I am excited to enter if I get it in time! I'd love to win last place just to enjoy the experience and excitement of interacting with other Coffee Roasters!!! :D lol.

Do you know when your ball park start date is?
What is the cost typically?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM