Author Topic: Interesting conversation about a Heat Shield Mod over at H-B  (Read 11634 times)

SusanJoM

Interesting conversation about a Heat Shield Mod over at H-B
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »
Keno appears to have added something very similar to the grate on our perforated drums to his solid drum.

Check it out:
https://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/huky-500-heat-shield-mod-t38044.html#p430996

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
Re: Interesting conversation about a Heat Shield Mod over at H-B
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
That is very interesting and quite ambitious.  I went with the perforated drum, hoping it all ships within the next week, and I think for me that's a good choice.  The comment about the double wall drum was enlightening.  I am wondering what people's experiences are in regards to tipping and scorching with the solid and perforated drums.  I had this problem with my Hottop and I'm hoping I can avoid it when my Huky arrives.

Wayne G

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »
Haven't seen any significant tipping or scorching since my Hottop days. Roughly 200 roasts on the Huky so it's a non-issue. I credit that to learning to use airflow.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
I've seen that post too. I'm on a similar setup as the poster on HB and I havn't suffered from any significant tipping/scorching in my roasts. That may be due to I'm always trying to find the lowest possible charge temp. (I've done a series of tests on this. Reports and some kind of graph coming up within a few days...) I.e. I personally don't think you'll need a grate for the solid drum. The Huky system with a perforated drum is another story and I will report back on my experiences of that transition later (my perf drum et.al. is airborne at the moment...).
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:01:34 PM »
I've seen that post too. I'm on a similar setup as the poster on HB and I havn't suffered from any significant tipping/scorching in my roasts. That may be due to I'm always trying to find the lowest possible charge temp. (I've done a series of tests on this. Reports and some kind of graph coming up within a few days...) I.e. I personally don't think you'll need a grate for the solid drum. The Huky system with a perforated drum is another story and I will report back on my experiences of that transition later (my perf drum et.al. is airborne at the moment...).

I never close the grate on my perforated drum HUKY.
And I've never had any scorching or tipping.
I think scorching and tipping are only issues with a solid drum or with maybe an open flame rather than the IR stove.

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:56:47 AM »
That may be due to I'm always trying to find the lowest possible charge temp. (I've done a series of tests on this. Reports and some kind of graph coming up within a few days...)

Looking forward to seeing your graph.  Do you think the variances in charge temp have a significant impact on the drying phase?

Wayne G

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »
I did something a little different than usual...That thread over at HB made me want to try roasting with my grate closed throughout the whole roast. My initial observations were that it didn't seem to change how the roaster responded to heat and air. I use direct flame. I brewed the coffee this morning and it was one of my better roasts with this particular coffee. It's also a longer roast than i've been doing with it as well so that may be why. I'll keep experimenting and will see what happens.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM