Author Topic: 3rd Huky Roasting Competition Discussion  (Read 113465 times)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: 3rd Huky Roasting Competition Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 06:18:50 AM »
Does SM even use SCAA scoring, I thought they had an in-house system?

And their cupping evaluation is about coffee quality and sales, not roasting per se. Should the winning roast be the best eye-popping tongue smacking entry without defect? I love these roasts, especially an Ethiopian or Kenyan; but that's not general representation of the profiles I'm seeing here. If we give some points to development and balance, maybe the results can shift a bit.

Do we really need a complicated 100 point scale?  Sure if two entries are close, the 89 is going to top the 88; agree on that. But more comments and less numbers might be useful for our members.

My opinion about our competitions is to have fun and learn. If people are head scratching after it's over, might be time to make some changes. That's why I'm advocating using our own form with a little better feedback built in.

Offline lagavulin

• Serial Number: 748
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 300 grams
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 07:36:02 AM »

I'll Enter. I could definitely use critique.

SusanJoM

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
I do like the idea of trying to have everyone roast on the same day. However, finding a day where a large group of people all have time available to roast that same day could prove difficult.

You are absolutely right about this, but I also think it is critical to the integrity of what you are asking of the judges to spend their time doing.  If members want the benefits of a professionals assessment of their roasts they have to be willing to do their part to make that happen.  If the time frame is made clear in the invitation to participate, contestants simply have to assess ahead of time whether they can or can't do it.   Obviously there will be a series of these events and if a member can't participate in one, s/he will have other opportunities down the road.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
That makes sense too. :)

Offline jyalpert

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 560
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
A question for the organizers - would it be possible for locals to participate in the cupping as well?  I wouldn't want to meddle with the SM judges' time, but perhaps a second table set up for any Huky user who can join to do an evaluation as well.

I would LOVE to compare notes with professional cuppers.

Also I'm happy to bring my Huky over to SM so we can give them a demonstration.  I know people do that for them from time to time so they are aware of the latest developments in home roasting.

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
A question for the organizers - would it be possible for locals to participate in the cupping as well?  I wouldn't want to meddle with the SM judges' time, but perhaps a second table set up for any Huky user who can join to do an evaluation as well.

I would LOVE to compare notes with professional cuppers.

Also I'm happy to bring my Huky over to SM so we can give them a demonstration.  I know people do that for them from time to time so they are aware of the latest developments in home roasting.

Great idea. I would also love to participate in coffee tasting. The insight would be even more valuable. When it's time to follow up with them about other details, I will bring this up and see how many they can accommodate. I'm also prepared to ask them about people spectating, and how many they can comfortably host. It's easy to imagine that they have plenty of space for a small crowd, but I'm worried about time. We'll see what they say.

We're currently planning to design a simple score card based on Hankua's ideas. It seems to be the most valuable. The final design will resemble the SCAA coffee evaluation form with different categories and scoring. Once it's finalized, I'll share it with the community in case anyone wants to use it themselves.

Offline jyalpert

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 560
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I've been over to the warehouse a few times to pick up coffee and they seem to have some room, but who knows.  Thanks for organizing!

Offline kenneroast

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Hank brought to my attention that we have many international members who may want to participate. Shipping logistics need to be sorted out still, but we think we have a solution. We could ship smaller samples to you guys to meet the USPS First Class shipping requirements.

Please let us know if any of you guys outside of the US would like to be included.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
Well, I would think it would be very much fun and rewarding to participate. I live in Sweden. I really don't mind about a decent extra cost for shipping. (The "big" one would be the shipping of a few pounds of greens to Sweden. I take it the shipping costs are about the same for any "overseas" shipping from the US. Shipping the 4-6 ounces back for cupping shouldn't be a problem.)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
What about shipping 8oz to 1lb greens to save incoming costs?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
What about shipping 8oz to 1lb greens to save incoming costs?
(If that was for me...) I've spent several $K on this "hobby". Spending an extra $50 (or whatever) for a chance to evolve, participte and have some fun isn't something I would hesitate about. :)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

SusanJoM

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »
What would you/anyone think about having two separate categories to be judged separately (against only others in the same category):  Solid Drum and Perforated Drum.  This aligns with my particular bias that these are very very different roasters.

But/and it also would allow people who have both drums to enter into either or BOTH categories, which I think would be very cool.

And of course also allow for Best in Show which would rank the #1 Perf against the #1 Solid....

Just thinkin'.

Susan

Offline venerablemonster

• it's all in the reflexes
  • Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 682
  • J or T : T pipe
  • Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
What would you/anyone think about having two separate categories to be judged separately (against only others in the same category):  Solid Drum and Perforated Drum.  This aligns with my particular bias that these are very very different roasters.

But/and it also would allow people who have both drums to enter into either or BOTH categories, which I think would be very cool.

And of course also allow for Best in Show which would rank the #1 Perf against the #1 Solid....

Just thinkin'.

Susan

I like this idea, but we would have to have enough participants to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, we'd be splitting an already small competing group.
sic parvis magna

SusanJoM

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »
I like this idea, but we would have to have enough participants to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, we'd be splitting an already small competing group.

Excellent point. 
Maybe it's a bit premature  ;)

Offline kenneroast

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
Sounds doable. With the new scoring system, rankings could be separated by drum type without asking anything more from Sweet Maria's.

I'll be reaching out to them soon to touch based about the latest developments and to discuss timelines.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM