Forum > Beans

Solubility

(1/3) > >>

gooseneck:
I'm wondering what you all use to know if you are getting good inner bean development and the right amount of solubility. Obviously taste plays a huge part in that, but haven't come across anyone saying they use a refractometer on here yet. I'd like to have one, but it's at least $270, and upwards of $750. A local coffee shop uses one, so maybe I can some how use theirs occasionally. Thoughts?

Jayel:
I'm very glad you posted this because I have no idea about refractometers but I know many roasters use them to gauge proper extraction and such. I have one on my Amazon wish list that is only about $30 but I haven't really looked into it that much yet because I really don't know what I am looking for. I basically use my Amazon wish list as a bookmark for products I am interested in, whether I plan on buying it on Amazon or not. If you search for "refractometer" on Amazon, only three products are found (at least when I do it), and they are all roughly between $25 and $40. So I guess what I'd like to know is, what am I looking for exactly in a refractometer?

Here is the one I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation-0-32/dp/B003H7ILCW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456088305&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=refractomerter

jyalpert:
I think that's a beer/wine homebrewing refractometer.  No idea if it has the sensitivity or scale necessary for coffee.

Usually coffee people talk about the VST refractometer.  Not sure if there is a cheaper version somewhere.

I personally don't really care enough to buy a refractometer, though I am a shitty barista and it would probably help me brew better.

gooseneck:

--- Quote from: SgtDooDoo on February 21, 2016, 01:05:40 PM ---I'm very glad you posted this because I have no idea about refractometers but I know many roasters use them to gauge proper extraction and such. I have one on my Amazon wish list that is only about $30 but I haven't really looked into it that much yet because I really don't know what I am looking for. I basically use my Amazon wish list as a bookmark for products I am interested in, whether I plan on buying it on Amazon or not. If you search for "refractometer" on Amazon, only three products are found (at least when I do it), and they are all roughly between $25 and $40. So I guess what I'd like to know is, what am I looking for exactly in a refractometer?

Here is the one I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation-0-32/dp/B003H7ILCW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456088305&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=refractomerter

--- End quote ---

You need one that specifically tests TDS (Total Dissolved Solids). This will allow you to use some software to calculate extraction of your beans. You want to aim for 19-22% extraction. If you're under, then that could be an indication that your beans are underdeveloped. This is mostly what I've read in Scott Rao's roasting book. In any case, here's the one I'm looking at getting (I do the same thing with Amazon Wish Lists :) )

http://amzn.com/B00LTH2PUG

The VST is ideal, but very expensive. This one seems to be made for coffee specifically but is more affordable.

SusanJoM:
Aren't there a lot of factors between the roast and the cup that impact the resulting TDS? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version