Author Topic: Uk Ordering. Import duties? Setup questions.  (Read 10621 times)

Offline arowe724

Uk Ordering. Import duties? Setup questions.
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
I have been thinking of buying the Huky 500t

I am a complete newbie to roasting but love the hands on approach rather than a push and leave.
The setup I would like has solid drum and 72rpm motor.
Is the back of the solid drum (motor side) have any air holes?
Because surely if the fan starts it would create a vacuum? As of such say when you put the vacuum cleaner onto a pillow and it makes that high pitched noise.
Also digital Bean Temp / Environment temp / Temp above the drum? For monitoring with Artisan.
Maybe a push in the right direction for a thermocouple interface? Maybe phidgets?

Il also be getting an extra fan and extractor set up so I can use one as a permanent chaff collector. And the other as a cooling tray.

Also has anyone in the UK had to pay  major customs charges? Or shipping import taxes?

Any advice would be great!

Offline Gahwa

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • J or T : T
Re: Uk Ordering. Import duties? Setup questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »
Hello arowe,

I am also based in the UK and I plan to order my Huky soon. I have done some extensive readings here and there, and I would like to share with you what I have learned to make some purchase decisions.

Is the back of the solid drum (motor side) have any air holes?
Yes, there is a pic of the that in other forums, you can google: solid drum huky 500 and it will pop.

Personally, i plan to order all three BT, ET and MET to be digital and connect them with the Center thermometer that Mr. Li sells. You could also use a phidgets, but I i see no difference in the price.

I believe the extra fan and try are very handy and that is something I plan to order as well. As for the drum, I personally would go for perforated (both drums have their fans) and I would change it later on if I feel like it. You can always order extras as long as Mr. Li still selling.

Regarding the UK customs charges, I myself was worried about that, and there isn't much info online. Tony (has a thread in this forum) was not charged anything, but to be honest, reading the gov.uk website you would expect to pay taxes and import duties unfortunately :(.

I reached a point where I don't care anymore, because I want the Huky! So this customs charge is out of hand. If they charge it, be it, if I get luck then I will be happier :D

Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes.

-ib

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
I think that EU import rules apply to the UK as well. I.e you (may or may not if you're lucky) have to pay VAT and the possible surcharge the customs charge for charging that tax. On the other hand, Mr. Li usually only writes down the cost of the basic roaster (about US $1100) on the shipping label, so you don't have to pay taxes for any extra items included in the order.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Liviu.Mihu

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 981
  • J or T : J
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:06:28 AM »
As I just received my Huky today in Romania, I would have a suggestion for EU customers. Normally we need to pay VAT and, depending on the amount, also import tax for goods from outside EU.At least in Romania, I needed to go to a postal office where they have customs  and they checked the invoice and the proof of  payment (paypal print). On that they  applied 20% (current VAT in RO) which I had to pay. But: Mr Li could write anything you like on the invoice (for ex 122 USD) and nothing stops you to make 2 separate transactions as long as one of them matches the invoice. As there is no "catalog" price for it, you are kind of bullet proof covered in papers :)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM