Author Topic: Default Roast Profile?  (Read 24675 times)

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
Re: Default Roast Profile?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »
That's great- I hope you get some great shots from that roast. Everything happened just a tad quicker than what I see with a full pound. Based on that I know what to do next time I want to roast a smaller amount :)
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline boss99er

• Serial Number: 568
  • Charge Weight : 16oz
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
That's great- I hope you get some great shots from that roast. Everything happened just a tad quicker than what I see with a full pound. Based on that I know what to do next time I want to roast a smaller amount :)

Now hopefully it tastes as good as it looks on paper!

Offline Gregr

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:16 AM »
>FC @ 7:45 and 394F
>End FC @ 10:00 and 425F
>Dump @ 11:15 and 435F

The two minutes and fifteen seconds first crack, along with the 31F temp change is long and big but I have a feeling you just determined the end of first crack was when the very last pop was heard. This is another one of those subjective calls- but I think most people call it when the pops dissipate to 'almost done' and there are always a few, or more, late pops. I generally see first crack times of 1:15-1:45, with a 15F-ish temp rise, not that that means a whole lot being so subjective.

Offline boss99er

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
>FC @ 7:45 and 394F
>End FC @ 10:00 and 425F
>Dump @ 11:15 and 435F

The two minutes and fifteen seconds first crack, along with the 31F temp change is long and big but I have a feeling you just determined the end of first crack was when the very last pop was heard. This is another one of those subjective calls- but I think most people call it when the pops dissipate to 'almost done' and there are always a few, or more, late pops. I generally see first crack times of 1:15-1:45, with a 15F-ish temp rise, not that that means a whole lot being so subjective.

Yeah, on this roast you're 100% correct. I was actually looking at my previous notes and suddenly realized the "cracking" had slowed down to almost nothing. I normally call FC start at the beginning of rapid cracking and the end of FC when it slows. So.....I guess just try to disregard that a little on this roast. :-) All other parameters were pretty much dead on to what I would like, so I think my FC time and temp are my erroneous record keeping this time.

Offline boss99er

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »
Oh man.....Gregr, I just realized something today. The default roast profile you recommended to me was for 1lb of greens. For some reason, I had in my head you recommended 300g. No wonder I've been FLYING through the roast with those settings! I've been putting 300g roasts through with that profile.

In other news, my variac arrived today!

Offline Gregr

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
Hah! And the roaster is brand new super clean- so everything makes sense and you're on the right track. Looking forward to hearing some cupping notes from your next roast :)

Offline boss99er

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
Hah! And the roaster is brand new super clean- so everything makes sense and you're on the right track. Looking forward to hearing some cupping notes from your next roast :)

Ha ha, sounds good! I just cant wait to be able to write down solid numbers for fan control with this variac instead of "about half way" or "a little less/more than half way" for my profiling.

Offline Gregr

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
For the first time my default profile failed. I don't think it's the profile's fault though- this coffee may just be too bright to make a decent shot out of. It's Kenya Kianjege- profile below. It was slightly slower than what I was aiming for because I did a dumb thing and forgot to start the drum turning til only a few seconds before I put the beans in. Shoulda just waited but on the bright side (no pun intended...) now I know how much that mistake sets back the roast.
I tried a couple shots this morning, 18g dose/25g shot and 18/20. Both were so bright and lemon-y they were just not good at all. There was some nice bittersweet chocoloate flavor there but it was dominated by over the top citrus brightness. Usually I like that but this was too much. Will try again tomorrow but most likely this will be Vacpot material.

Offline Gregr

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
I just re-read the notes on this coffee and wow- I sure botched that one because this sounds like a great coffee.
http://www.happymugcoffee.com/african/328-kenya-kianjege-green-coffee.html

Offline boss99er

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
I just re-read the notes on this coffee and wow- I sure botched that one because this sounds like a great coffee.
http://www.happymugcoffee.com/african/328-kenya-kianjege-green-coffee.html

That DOES sound good. You'll dial it in!

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM