Author Topic: New Roast Profile Database Site: www.artisancoffeealliance.com  (Read 31376 times)

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
For several months now I've been working on a website for uploading, searching, and sharing roast profiles (currently Artisan profiles), as I believe this could be very helpful to the roasting community.

When roasting a brand new bean, I've often thought it would be great to have a profile I could look at as a baseline for where to start (or to compare my roast ideas against), but it can often be difficult finding this info in the forums. This problem is one of the "gaps" I hope this site can fill.

I have now made the website open for registration (most of the features of the site require login to access):
https://www.artisancoffeealliance.com

Screenshots and links to example profiles can be found on the main page linked above.

It would be great to have some roasters join, share their roast profiles, help to build the roast database, and offer suggestions/recommendations. I'm hoping the site can be a good companion site to hukyforum.com (and others).

So far we just have a small number of searchable roast profiles, but the more people share their profiles, the better! I have been making pretty significant improvements to the website almost weekly. A few hukyforum.com members have also been helpful with early testing and recommendations (special thanks to Gregr, kenneroast, and hankua).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:13:15 AM by JavaBuzz »

SusanJoM

Re: New Roast Profile Database Site: www.artisancoffeealliance.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
Nice job.
 ;D

Susan

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
Thanks Susan!  :)

I probably have over 300 hours into the site at this point. It was a lot bigger endeavor than I thought it would be when I started, but it's been a good learning experience.

I wanted to announce it here officially first because this has been such a great community, and I believe it could be especially helpful to home roasters (especially if people post profiles).

Will see what happens. :)

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
Thanks for that idea !

I'll be glad to contribute, when I'll have some profils I'm proud about.

And I certainly find some inspiration there. Well, I'm juste talking, I have to look at the website :)
But anyway, thanks again.

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »
You could put a link in the Roasting Theory, Practice, Questions, Profiles section of the forum and sticky it. 

I signed up;  I have no profiles to add so I'll taking more than I can give ,, but I'm really pleased to see this sort of infrastructure work. 

You go JavaBuzz.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
Good suggestion Susan. However, as far as I can tell, it looks like I don't have rights to sticky a forum topic. :)

FYI, when uploading a profile on the site, there is an optional field (Roast Rating) where a person can set an estimate on the quality of the roast. So if unsure of how good a roast is (which I'm guessing is many of us), one can always set the roast quality option to a lower amount (such as "Good" or "Fair") and/or put notes in the Roast Notes section.

There is also a Share Level option when uploading a roast, and this can be set to Private to hide the profile/upload from everyone but yourself. This is a good way to test out uploading one's first roast. If desired, the Share Level can be increased later on (in the Edit section) to share the profile with others.

SusanJoM

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
it looks like I don't have rights to sticky a forum topic. :)

Now you do.

Offline e.p.alx

• Solid or Perf: Perf (solid sitting the bench)
  • Serial Number: 1031
  • J or T : t
  • Charge Weight : ~~~~
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »
This is brilliant Javabuzz, the idea is one thing but that's hell of a project to see into fruition. My hat's off to u sir! (I don't actually have a hat but u get it..)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:40:16 PM by e.p.alx »
~ PopperyII 4lyfe ~

Offline Wo ai Coffee

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1002
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »
Thanks For the hard work Javabuzz . I am always looking for others profiles to compare and get ideas from. It can save a lot of trial beans knowing what profile to aim for for a certain regions beans.
Joel

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
Susan,

I added information on the website in Roasting Theory, Practice, Questions, Profiles. I then locked the topic, stickied it, and then added a link back to this post for discussion. I hope that makes sense to you.

Also, thank you e.p.alx, wo ai coffee, and LTB for the thank-you posts!

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
It's been about a week now since I announced this site, and I've seen a pretty good number of people sign up.

I am open to hearing suggestions, ideas, etc., so feel free to post your thoughts or PM me directly (whichever you think is most appropriate).

Also, big thank you to those who have uploaded a profile on the site! Being the site is so young, we can definitely use more profiles.

SusanJoM

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
Joel, can you give me/us a quick tutorial on how to see what is in the database?
I'm having a hard time getting past the first page where my only option appears (to my somewhat dim self) to only allow me to search for something or upload something.  I'm guessing I am missing something.   ???

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »
Hi Susan,

If you login (must be logged in) and go to Roast Database > Search, you can then select the search criteria for the database.

Then, on the Search page, if you click the first search option/View button (for Newest Profiles), that will show the list of the newest profiles (which, being the site is new, should show most or all of the profiles).

Now you should see a list of uploaded profiles. Click on the profile you want to view and that will show you the graph and details for that profile.

I hope that makes sense. I want to eventually get some better documentation on the website, but everything takes time. :)

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Currently, you can search the database by Newest Profiles, Country, Roast Level, Roaster Brand, and User (and I might add more in the future). However, a profile matching the criteria needs to have been previously uploaded to show results.

For example, currently if you search Country Cuba, no results will be returned because no Cuba profiles have been uploaded yet.

If anyone has additional questions, sees any quirks on the website, etc. feel free to let me know!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:51:38 AM by JavaBuzz »

SusanJoM

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »
Aha.  Thank you.  That makes it all make much more sense to me.  How about making a post/announcement at Johnny4lsu's North Forum site. 

http://northroasterforum.com/

I'll bet those members would contribute profiles, wouldn't they, Johnny?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM