Author Topic: Huky Roast Share & Learn w/ SM's Majirani Espresso Blend  (Read 30987 times)

Offline .

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1107
  • J or T : T
Re: Huky Roast Share & Learn w/ SM's Majirani Espresso Blend
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »
Yes thank you.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »
Had the last of the darker espresso (Full City) roast as brewed coffee today. Very enjoyable "comfort" cup. Very full-bodied, with a silky chocolate flavor and what almost seemed like a hint of vanilla in the background/aftertaste (probably the slight lemon and chocolate flavors combining).

I think thusband might be on to something when he said the blend improves with a week or so rest.

Now I have to get my butt moving and roast some more.

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
I agree with the resting comments- got a slight grassy note on day 3 or so and it was completely gone by day 5.
Anyone with a perforated drum up for a swap with this old school solid drum guy? ;D
I plan on roasting today and will have enough to send to one person or two if they don't mind a smaller amount to test out. So far I've done 2 roasts-- one with 2:30 development time and the other with 3:00. Next up... 2:00 I think, since the brightness wasn't at all overwhelming with the shorter roast.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
Life has thrown me plenty to do in the last couple months. Last week I was finally able to roast this blend. So far it's been excellent. Gregr finally motivated me to work this one into rotation. We did a friendly swap.

Lately I've been really enjoying some light roasted single origin shots. Between knowing Greg's roast would be darker and what I've grown to love, I decided to see how this bean would hold up roasted light. I was aiming to dry at least another 15 seconds longer, and reaching FC a tad quicker. After DE, I attempted to hit the beans with a lot of heat until right before FC.

This roast still turned out really good. It's juicy, fruit flavored, and I think has a fair amount of body.  Haven't had enough of it yet to give a full report, but the first shots of it have been  ;D ;D ;D. I was able to share some of this coffee with my mother. She picked up on the chocolate- something I didn't get out of it.

Looking forward to roasting this one again! It's delicious.

https://www.artisancoffeealliance.com/ACA/view.php?isubmit=View&iroast=7-2016090501332801

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
Hankua (and others, feel free to chime in too)...

I think you might have done the most roasts of this blend so far... do you have a favorite roast yet? Around a certain development time (3rd phase) that you think is working best, etc?

Time permitting, thinking I might do another roast of this tomorrow. The 2:45m development roast I did was the best espresso-focused roast of this I've done so far. I did a couple roasts slightly longer than that, but those seemed like too much development. Was thinking I'd try around 2:30m next (and maybe another 2:45'ish roast because I really enjoyed that one).

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »
I liked the full city roast better than the others; one was darker (3:34 RD 224c BT) and my favorite so far was (3:06 RD 220c BT).

Should have enough beans for 2-3 more roasts; going for full city with loads of chocolate and cocoa.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:43:26 PM by hankua »

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »
I notice you had a pretty long Phase 1 (5:56) on the 3:06 RD, with I think a pretty gentle RoR decline (little harder to tell when in Celsius). Do you think that somehow contributed to the roast being your favorite?

3:06RD:
https://www.artisancoffeealliance.com/ACA/view.php?iroast=4-2016083102392101

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Not sure; the strategy I used was along the lines of "low and slow for spro" and aim for a full city roast just before the onset of 2C. Had a little trouble there at the end and maybe need to keep the gas up longer.

It's still a declining type profile just charged at a lower temp. I also could change the gas setting at the TP to 4kPa instead of 3kPa which should shorten up the first phase.

Let's say for example you charge a roast at 180c and follow a declining type profile. By changing the charge temperature to 150, and following the same routine; the profile is going to automatically stretch out.

Here's one from today

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:54:45 PM by hankua »

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
I'm wondering if equipment and brew recipes are a culprit in the mixed reviews at different roast levels. I've been loving my light roast. My aim has been ~2oz out with ~18g in. The last shot I had today took ~25 seconds. The shots are sweet, fruity, and have a fair amount of body. Not sure why I'm missing the chocolate notes when I taste it, but my mother picks up on it.

Gregr's roast was really good too. He went darker with his. I think closer to Full City. A tighter shot better served his. It was ~18g in, ~18g out, in about ~25 seconds.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 06:52:06 PM »
Might also be preference (why people are roasting darker). I typically prefer a darker roast for espresso and a pretty light roast for brewed coffee (though I'm not opposed to lighter roast espresso). I think some of the others are that way as well.

I've also been trying to use this opportunity to improve my darker roast skills being I rarely roast "dark," and I figured this would be a great opportunity to get a little better at it. Sometimes I think properly roasting dark can be quite a bit more difficult than roasting light.

Thanks for the espresso grams in/out and time info. Actually a great idea to post!

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »
We started out with some killer espresso this morning.  16.9 grams in and 1 1/2 oz out.  Target for my La Spaz is 36 seconds and was within two seconds.  Today is the fifth day post roast and it was sweet with undercurrents of chocolate and fruit.  Got a faint sheen of oil as dumped at very signs of second crack.    Thank you tryer!

Roasted two roasts of this Majirani Monday.  First roast was also 350G and dumped just before end of first crack so its a City roast.  Really good in the Hario as I type this.   Was surprised at the sweetness and faint chocolate.  Not surprised at the faint smell of fruitiness.   It fits all the descriptors.  Not much at cupping and describing but really enjoying reading this thread as it helps to shape understanding and how to develop roasts.  Could kick myself for only ordering 5 pounds.

Roasted a third roast Monday.  Panama Gesha Esmerelda from the Peterson Estate.  A little pricey and only got two pounds in December.  Took 350G right near the end of first crack. 
Had a cup of this one and a cup of the light roasted Majirani yesterday.  Was pleasantly surprised that the Majirani compared favorably.  A little better balance from the gesha and more aroma but still if you compare dollars the Majirani gets a blue ribbon.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
Awesome!

I think SM goal with this blend was "crowd pleaser". Possible any lots with overpower fruits or acidity were left out. And I suppose they would need to be clean as well without defects.

Offline korkiley

• Serial Number: 540
  • Charge Weight : 305g - 324g
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »
I wondered if some people are still involved in evaluating this blend. I'm about to order some but I have reservations. First I'm apprehensive about the acidity--I don't like more than a hint of acidity in my espresso although it seems like I generally have to settle for more than that. Second, I'm currently operating on the hypothesis that single origin roasting leads to the best results because of the greater potential for even extractions. At the same time, I want to be open minded. In this case, I think the most important thing I can gain from roasting this bean is to compare my roasting results with others and use other's profiles for guidance, since I am still pretty new to the Huky and only recently learning more about how to manage a roast with some sense of knowing what I am doing. I guess even if you are all done playing with this I can still benefit from the great reporting that many of you have done.

Thanks for all your contributions!

Offline Joey

• Seeking blueberry notes
  • Serial Number: 1130
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
I wondered if some people are still involved in evaluating this blend. I'm about to order some but I have reservations. First I'm apprehensive about the acidity--I don't like more than a hint of acidity in my espresso although it seems like I generally have to settle for more than that. Second, I'm currently operating on the hypothesis that single origin roasting leads to the best results because of the greater potential for even extractions. At the same time, I want to be open minded. In this case, I think the most important thing I can gain from roasting this bean is to compare my roasting results with others and use other's profiles for guidance, since I am still pretty new to the Huky and only recently learning more about how to manage a roast with some sense of knowing what I am doing. I guess even if you are all done playing with this I can still benefit from the great reporting that many of you have done.

Thanks for all your contributions!

I just had a couple pounds of this delivered last week. Looking forward to roasting it soon.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »
I used up the rest of my 5 lbs a week or so ago. Been debating getting more, but I have a lot of coffee in my backlog to roast too, and I've been trying to avoid the temptation to buy more green coffee.

Korkily, if you want less acidity, you can try roasting darker (possibly as far as the early start of 2nd crack or right before). Giving it 5+ days rest seems to even out the brightness a bit more too. It is a fairly bright coffee, but I've had brighter, and I did enjoy it a lot as espresso when roasted well.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM