Author Topic: Huky Roast Share & Learn w/ SM's Majirani Espresso Blend  (Read 30983 times)

Offline korkiley

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 540
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 305g - 324g
Re: Huky Roast Share & Learn w/ SM's Majirani Espresso Blend
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
JavaBuzz and Joey, thank you both. I think I'll order a couple of pounds. That's hardly enough to do much playing around but as much as I can afford for the moment. I'm also buying a couple of pounds each of the two Yemens available at SM (which is why I can't afford more of the African blend but it's a special request from my wife :)

I recently graduated from a Hottop and am having difficulty settling on a good charge weight for the Huky. I used a charge weight of 227g (.5 lb) on the Hottop because it was divisible into any weight purchased from SM from a pound up. This seemed a decent weight considering the capacity of the Hottop but this seems on the low side for the Huky. I see a lot of Huky owners are doing 324g which is divisible into 5 lbs but I don't often buy higher than 2lb. lots. On the advise of the guys from Mill City I want to keep my charge weight--it's difficult enough to keep track of all the variables. 3 / 2lb. Is 302g. Does that seem like a reasonable charge weight. It has the disadvantage that I wouldn't be able to compare my roasts directly with others on this forum.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
With th stock IR propane stove, here's what I've found...

I've found that 2/3lb (302gr) isn't too difficult to control, though it might be difficult if just starting out.

I think around 363gr (about 80% of 1lb) is a sweet spot for this roaster, and it is pretty easy to push the heat and still get an even/unscorched roast. You could probably go about 10% in either direction from this and still be around the sweet spot too.

A 1lb roast is doable and usually turns out pretty good, but if you want to push a roast fast through phase 1, I've found it is sometimes hard to get enough heat from the stock burner. However, you'll most likely get much better roasts doing a 1lb roast vs two 1/2lb roasts.

Under 300gr (for example, 1/2lb) can be pretty difficult to control and fairly easy to scorch the beans, especially on the perforated drum. Especially starting out, I wouldn't recommend roasting less than about 300gr. It will just cause frustration.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:07:34 PM by JavaBuzz »

Offline korkiley

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation. I could do 1lb roasts I suppose, but it doesn't sound like the easiest and I like to roast more frequently= more practice. I have done several half pound roasts which mostly went alright, or so it seemed at least : ) I notice from his roast logs, that my late brother was doing 350g roasts on this same roaster. I'll definitely go for something in the over 300g range.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2016, 03:16:12 PM »
JavaBuzz and Joey, thank you both. I think I'll order a couple of pounds. That's hardly enough to do much playing around but as much as I can afford for the moment. I'm also buying a couple of pounds each of the two Yemens available at SM (which is why I can't afford more of the African blend but it's a special request from my wife :)

I recently graduated from a Hottop and am having difficulty settling on a good charge weight for the Huky. I used a charge weight of 227g (.5 lb) on the Hottop because it was divisible into any weight purchased from SM from a pound up. This seemed a decent weight considering the capacity of the Hottop but this seems on the low side for the Huky. I see a lot of Huky owners are doing 324g which is divisible into 5 lbs but I don't often buy higher than 2lb. lots. On the advise of the guys from Mill City I want to keep my charge weight--it's difficult enough to keep track of all the variables. 3 / 2lb. Is 302g. Does that seem like a reasonable charge weight. It has the disadvantage that I wouldn't be able to compare my roasts directly with others on this forum.
You should be fine, I got a few 2lb bags from BodiLeaf and roasted 302g. That gives you three roasts to play around with.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
Here's what I currently usually do:

Bought     Roast
1lb           1lb
2lb           2/3lb (3 total roasts)
5lb           80%/1lb (~363gr)*
10/15lb     Similar to 5lb

*The last two to three roasts on a 5lb bag I typically divide into slightly larger than 363gr roasts.

I also typically try to buy at least 5lb of a bean, though there's always exceptions to that. It can be hard to dial-in and fine-tune a roast of a bean with less than that. Even with 10lb+ I'm often still fine-tuning and tweaking the roast (though I love experimenting). :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:38:28 PM by JavaBuzz »

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
FWIW

2lbs:  109 gm sample roast (that is a fun little sensory challenge)
          400 gm x 2
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline korkiley

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »
I have a measly 2 lbs of Majarani coming next week. Well, I can always get more.

By the way, can someone tell me if I can convert an existing roast from Celsius to Fahrenheit in Artisan. I installed it on windows and tried importing a roast from Artisan Coffee Alliance which was a snap but I would like to view it in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

Thanks.

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
Open the profile and go to Roast > Temperature > Convert to Fahrenheit.

Offline korkiley

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
That was easy. Thank you so much!

Offline Joey

• Seeking blueberry notes
  • Serial Number: 1130
  • J or T : T
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »
This is my first time roasting for espresso. Not super happy with the profile but we'll see how it tastes in about 7-10 days or so.

Offline korkiley

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread so maybe I missed something about this blend, but why would you wait 7 to 10 days before trying your roast. I consume most of my roasts within that time period and have rarely, if ever, noticed the bean improving after a week, but often the opposite. I wouldn't wait more than a couple of days at the most. Otherwise you could easily miss the time when it is at its best!

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
A small number of coffees are better with more rest. A couple of us found this to be the case with this blend.

Before 5 days or so, to me the acidity was too much. After 5+ days, the acidity evened out and seemed to have more character, and some of the other flavor notes were more noticeable too.

Side note: many people say Yemens typically taste better with more rest too. I've personally found mixed results with this generalization.

Offline korkiley

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
Thanks. I guess I should go back and read the whole thread! Nevertheless, I would sample after a couple of days at most. It's nice to observe changes over time. Also, too much acidity to one person might be about right for another.

In the mean time my 2 lbs of Majirani arrived yesterday but I'm not ready to try a roast yet. The last three roasts I did a few days ago were a disaster. I tried stabilizing the temp for the charge then turning the gas off until turnaround. After trying two roasts with a 6 to 7 minute drying phase I tried leaving gas on at the lowest possible setting until turnaround and that worked much better.

I've been searching these forums for information about using the shutter. I am unsure how to use it. I guess it is irrelevant for a solid drum but I have a perforated drum. I've decided that the safest approach is to leave the shutter closed at all times. My theory is that with the shutter closed I will be less apt to scorch the beans and it should act as a buffer to smooth out my gas and fan adjustments. Any advice is more than welcome!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:11:47 PM by korkiley »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

I've been searching these forums for information about using the shutter. I am unsure how to use it. I guess it is irrelevant for a solid drum but I have a perforated drum. I've decided that the safest approach is to leave the shutter closed at all times. My theory is that with the shutter closed I will be less apt to scorch the beans and it should act as a buffer to smooth out my gas and fan adjustments. Any advice is more than welcome!

I also have the perforated drum, and except for the occasional times when I discover that I have inadvertently closed it, I leave the grate (you call it the shutter) open all the time.

Scorching appears to be a non-issue with the perforated drum.  Yes, I know that is counter-intuitive, but the drum doesn't get as hot, and it is the drum (not the flame itself) which is the scorcher....

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline korkiley

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
Thank you for your input!

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM