Author Topic: Is there a consensus solution on erratic readings in artisan  (Read 35723 times)

Offline AK

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1073
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Re: Is there a consensus solution on erratic readings in artisan
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »

Another thing that I've done since my second roast, which I always assumed everyone did, is push the gold button after I open the propane valve. If I don't push that button I won't get propane flow. Once I push it I hear a short hissing noise of the hose pressuring up and observe the gauge on the stove pressure up. Does everyone else do that? I'm curious what the maximum pressure  operating pressure of the regulator is. Anyone roasting at 4.0kpa or higher on a regular basis?

I discovered that gold button after I wasn't getting propane flowing to the burner.  I originally thought my tank was empty, and couldn't figure out what the problem was until I accidentally pushed it while checking the regulator.

Also, I usually max my pressure out at 4.0kpa, but am not 100% certain, since I swapped out the stock gauge with a Dwyer. 

Offline yukoncornelius

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
Well...  I had my first roast with the mastech set up correctly (to read a K type thermocouple instead of N  :P  )

Not sure what happened at around 1/4 with some noise occuring...but the rest of the roast, such a difference.  Night and day vs the phidget.  I've attached 2 images (one with smooth settings of 1 and 2, and then smooth settings of 5 and 5).  The usb cable on the mastech is a bit sensitive where it connects so I'll have to look into that but MAN.... for now, ITS LARGELY FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sidenote - I have a feeling this roast of Ethiopia Dry Process Yirga Cheffe Janbar from sweet maria's is gonna be amazing.  First try with this bean, next time I"ll try to extend dry a bit more and drop a taaaad sooner. 

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2016, 02:29:18 AM »
Well, those temporary spikes happens once in a while to most of us I suppose.
Now, looking at the saved graph in its "finished" state is one thing. But what does it look like while you roast. While I roast, I do want the readings to be decently stable so that it's easy to know where my milestones are going to fall. I do have a fairly stable system, but especially the Delta graphs are somewhat jagged during the roast.
(There's a trick to smoothen out the graph while roasting, just right click on the BT graph at e.g the DryEnd point and choose DryEnd from the menu. Artisan will redraw the whole graph and continue... I use this feature a lot to fine-adjust or add events.)
I'm personally trying to detatch from looking at the DeltaBT graph while roasting (i.e not to get too much cought by the graph, but rather looking at the timer and the BT reading) as a means to get less dependent on the computer. As my roasting sessions are somewhat far apart these days, it's easy to fall back into old habits though... :)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline yukoncornelius

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2016, 05:20:17 AM »
Hey edtbjon - so I think if I set to smoothing to 0 and 0 in the finished graph, that shows what it looked like in real time?  See attached.  The phidget was never ever remotely close to looking like this....  And I agree with you, I just want a fairly stable reading. I don't look too much at the graph either (mainly timer, how BT is tracking, and the relationship with ET).

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
Yes, except for those two minutes of crazyness during drying phase, that is just about what my Deltas look like during roasting. It's easy to see where it's heading and combined with the "LED" panels on the right giving me the numbers it gives me a fully acceptable view of what's happening.
Besides, the graph looks alright too, let's hope the coffee tastes as good as it looks. :)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM