Forum > Pictures

Fan Speed Controller

(1/3) > >>

MedicMan613:
Hey all,

Just putting a feeler out to see what everyone is using for fan control. I understand that the Variac is an option but very expensive appx. $140 CAN. What else are people using? I know that the light dimmer is an option, although unreliable. I am specifically looking for options that make fan speed quantifiable for repetition.

Thanks for the help and happy roasting.

MedicMan

SusanJoM:
This is the one which GregR has recommended since the get-go. 
https://www.amazon.com/Speedster-Variable-Speed-Control-Sprayer/dp/B000HQAVNI

SusanJoM:
Well I have taken the Variac totally out of the loop and incorporated the controller I linked above. 
It is so much easier than dealing with a Variac. 
It is so much cheaper than a Variac. 

I wouldn't recommend a Variac to a new buyer again....

trumz:
I got myself one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC-220V-10000W-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-Speed-Control-Dimming-Dimmers-Thermostat-free-shipping/32323041235.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.DQ0Aji

Hoping I could rely on the number display to give repeatable set points, but the whole unit doesn't work very well.  For example, if I set it to "40" which gives me a nice med-slow fan speed, the fan will ever so slowly SLOW DOWN to a crawl without changing the setting.  Also, while testing with multimeter, I see high volatges throughout the range, but the fan still speeds up and slows down somewhat.

I DON'T recommend

I'm back using a standard cheap dimmer for now.

edtbjon:
If memory serves me, Canada has 230V for AC. The router speed controller which Susan linked is a good choice, but do check the specs for the input current. While the Variac (with its 4 inch dial down to single % value control) is overkill, you do need decent precision to find and mark out say three settings. The thing is to be able to easily repeat these settings.
About the chinese controller which Trumz links to, I guess it's a simple light controller with a "voltage" indicator on it. I.e it doesn't really change the voltage, but rather the frequency. That works well with a light bulb and some other applications, but obviously not for precision control of a heavy duty fan. (It's like "been there, done that"... I do have a few light bulb controllers in the cupboard from early experiments with fan contol. :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version