Author Topic: New sample roast profiles  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Pear

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 1113
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 300
New sample roast profiles
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been roasting 1 particular Burundi bean with different profiles. I understand that when it comes to roasting new samples from suppliers you should generally use a consistent profile for testing (That said, I do understand there would still be maybe up to 3 profiles due to densities, elevatios etc). Once one has decided on beans and receive a bag+...then is the time to start playing around with a lot of roast profiles to fine tune your roasts.

So my question is, can anyone recommend roast profiles for trying samples?...perhaps from a high altitude, med, and low? Going to be roasting a bunch of new samples next week and just want to be giving them a proper analysis.

Thanks, Pear.

Offline runnerbrain

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • J or T : T
Re: New sample roast profiles
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
Hi, the following profile is for a Guatemala which I tried a few days ago and the coffee turned out great.
The key in my opinion is to slightly stretch out the drying phase. In this case I stretched out the drying phase by one full minute. Normally I aim for a drying phase of 6 mintues to 6:25 (depending on the beans).

Charge mass : 300 g; Charging temp: 435

Before TP:  gp @ 0.2  (TP: Turning Point, gp : gas pressure)
After   TP:  gp @ 2.0 ,fan off
@ 3:20:    gp @ 2.2, the curve was flattening out and artisan was showing time till DE at around 7:00
@ 5:10:    turned fan on @ 50% of the Low setting (my fan has only three settings Low, Med, High)
@ 7:00:    increased fan to 70% of Low
After DE: GP dropped to 0.6 , fan At 100% Low
After FCs : GP 0.2, fan still at Low mark
After FCe: GP 0.2, fan 25% past the Medium setting

dropped at 426.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Before TP:  gp @ 0.2 

Do you know how this correlates to kPa?
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:16:32 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been roasting 1 particular Burundi bean with different profiles. I understand that when it comes to roasting new samples from suppliers you should generally use a consistent profile for testing (That said, I do understand there would still be maybe up to 3 profiles due to densities, elevatios etc). Once one has decided on beans and receive a bag+...then is the time to start playing around with a lot of roast profiles to fine tune your roasts.

So my question is, can anyone recommend roast profiles for trying samples?...perhaps from a high altitude, med, and low? Going to be roasting a bunch of new samples next week and just want to be giving them a proper analysis.

Thanks, Pear.

That's a really good question, and honestly important; hopefully a green's buyer with a solid drum will respond. Let me explain the advantages home roasters have with buying greens. Our beans are cupped and pre-selected by most home roaster vendors, and usually rate specialty grade.

Selecting for a commercial market requires roasting and cupping/tasting a small sample representative of a lot of multiple bags. The purposes of this is to identify defects and make some decision which bean would fit in the sales program (quality/characteristics vs price).

Experimenting with the Tonino roast color meter and charting roast parameter I've found two data points that relate to development or roast level; that would be the total roast time, RD time (time after 1C), and % drying. That's why I thing controlling the total roast time, RD time, and dropping after 1C ends ought to get one in the "ballpark". (Using the LCD function in Artisan helps to predict what time 1C is going to occur)

If the bean is going to be used for espresso, then the sample might be split in half and roasted light and secondly with enough development for pulling shots.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
I made some tests some time (more than a year) ago, which I posted in this thread. These tests were done with a perforated drum, but I did add comments on the solid drum as well. (The main thing is to charge even lower... with say a 125g charge I'd start testing charging a solid drum at 110C or so.) There are a few but good links a few posts down in that thread, describing sample roasting in general (with Probat sample roaster style roasters). The idea is to mimic that style of roasting, i.e a light roast roasted with standard settings, as sample roasting is for evaluating and comparing coffees, not finding the best profile for a single coffee. But of course you do have to adjust for different beans and treat e.g a Sumatran different from e.g a Kenyan.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
If the bean is going to be used for espresso, then the sample might be split in half and roasted light and secondly with enough development for pulling shots.

Or not  ;)
http://scottrao.com/blog/roasting-for-espresso-vs-filter/
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM