Author Topic: Hello Fellow Huky Roasters  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Brent

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : So far 250gm to 350gm
Hello Fellow Huky Roasters
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi;
I thought I should introduce myself.  Started out about 9 yrs ago on a popcorn popper, then moved to a Behmor shortly after.   Got my Huky a couple weeks ago from a local shop that was using it as a sample roaster. Perforated drum 48rpm motor.
 I've only had 2 roasting sessions so far (had some computer issues) 4 roasts per session. So I'm on that learning curve. Experimenting with drop temps, Kpa settings, fan etc.  I'm looking forward to learning more, to many more roasts and to those roasts getting tastier. I already find that the roasts I've done in the Huky are tastier than that what I got from the Behmor.

I'm getting the impression that more people are using the solid drum, vs the perforated drum. I'm considering switching, but I want to look around the forum and see if I can find info on the different aspects of each drum.
Happy to be a member of the Huky Forum (A Hukyite....Hukyonian?  :P )

Offline Brent

Re: Hello Fellow Huky Roasters
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
I should have added this to my original "Hello...." post.
If anyone who has used both drums has any comments on which drum they prefer and why, I'd love to hear from them. I'm very interested in not only how the different drums are to roast on, but also if there are opinions on whether they affect taste too.
Should I be posting this in the Roasting area of the forum instead?
Thanks

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Guess that's a good dilemma?  ;D

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
Welcome ! Lot's have been writen about drums :)

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
Hi Brent - I guess my question would be, are you thinking of changing because that is what the majority here use?  Is there some aspect of the product you are producing that you feel would get better with a solid drum?  I know you were asking for input from people that have used both.  I use perf only but I would suggest you master that setup first.  You are just starting out and you may decide that you love the perf drum.  There are several here that use the perf setup as you will find when you start searching the forum.  Good luck.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Brent

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
Hi Brew;
The reason I was asking about the solid drum is because I am going to order an exhaust system this week. My thinking was that if I eventually want to try the solid drum, perhaps I should just order it now, rather than ordering again in the future. As far as using the solid drum, my logic was that with the Huky being a small machine with not much thermal mass, the solid drum would give it a bit more thermal mass/stability.

Drums aside, I'm thoroughly enjoying roasting with the Huky. After 7 or 8 roasts,  even the roasts that didn't go as I wanted didn't taste so bad. (A couple were not too tasty at all though. Bitter, baked cardboard flavors, ashy) A couple turned out not too bad at all. Within the 10 to 11 min max time I decided on, declining ROR I was trying for.   After  8 roasts, if I got a couple that I was I was somewhat satisfied with, I'm hoping I was starting to do something right and it wasn't just a fluke. :)

Whether I order it now, or later, I definitely see the sense in the suggestion to master one drum before switching.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM