Author Topic: One bean two roasters, three profiles  (Read 20520 times)

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
Re: One bean two roasters, three profiles
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
I hope you like it  :D
But maybe drop the beans after 2:30 of development, bean temp right around 417F. That should give you a nice full flavored dual use roast.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
I hope you like it  :D
But maybe drop the beans after 2:30 of development, bean temp right around 417F. That should give you a nice full flavored dual use roast.

This may be an approximation of your technique.  Best I could do, first try.  Same bean:

Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline Gregr

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
Really close! Amazingly close- kudos to you, first try and everything  :D

Offline Chert

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
Really close! Amazingly close- kudos to you, first try and everything  :D

I'll try to compare my memory of the now gone coffee at the start of the thread to the roast profiled after suggestions of GregR.  The first taste was just now, a ristretto extraction on my office mate's Oscar.  I like it.  I would not say the acidity is really much less, still vibrant and the espresso has sweetness and chocolatey pop.  Maybe the fruity character is a tad less.  The aftertaste is nice, not roasty.  The Urrao is a nice coffee and at this point I think both styles serve it well.  I await Susan trying some I sent to her and giving us the Tonino count.

Offline Chert

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
I did not realize that Colombia Urrao appears to be yet available from SM:  https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/colombia-urrao-valle-de-penderisco-5351

Offline Gregr

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
If I didn't have way too much coffee now I'd buy some my cupboard overfloweth. Thanks for the feedback on the roast  :)

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
I await Susan trying some I sent to her and giving us the Tonino count.

The Tonino comes in at 90 compared to 99 for the two earlier roasts.

Although the drop temps are similar, the clone of GregR's profile is 2+ minutes longer, which I would guess accounts for it being that much darker.
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline Chert

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »
Interesting.

I pulled a ristretto this morning of the GregR style.  I like it.  Well developed but the lingering aftertaste has the coffee fruit taste, not a roasty taste which I sometimes get even from roasts that have a drop temp in this range.

I may try a Guatemala Huehue I have at these two different roast styles when I roast today, for another fun comparison.

Offline nickthorpie

• Solid or Perf: Perf
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
I'm amidst transferring from a solid to a perforated as well, so this topic really strikes my interest.

Regarding your individual results, I'll comment on the profile and how they affect what you're tasting:
-You'll see that you spent a lot more time in the drying phase in your perforated roasts. This leads to higher counts of fructose and sucrose (Sugars) early, leading to a sweeter taste.

-You indicated that your solid drum profile had more acidity than the others. This is surprising to me, because that profile shows a lot of time in the Maillard phase. Longer Maillard times typically yield less acidity and sweetness, and give way to more aroma development.
-When you compare different coffees, make sure that you do it through blind cupping or else systematic error,  and recency bias tend to give way to misleading information.

Lastly, I have to ask how you get your ROR so high initially for your solid drum. I can barely coax my ROR curve to hit above 18-20 before descending. What fan speed do you use, and do you open or close the shutters on the bottom? At what time do you hit the jets on your curve?

Edit: Also do you find that your beans are noticeably darker in a solid drum even at the exact same Dev%, AUC and Drop Temp as the Perf?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:53:04 PM by nickthorpie »

Offline Chert

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
I'm amidst transferring from a solid to a perforated as well, so this topic really strikes my interest.

-When you compare different coffees, make sure that you do it through blind cupping or else systematic error,  and recency bias tend to give way to misleading information.

Yes systematic cupping could be very useful.  But there's that necessary 50 hours / week day job...

Lastly, I have to ask how you get your ROR so high initially for your solid drum. I can barely coax my ROR curve to hit above 18-20 before descending. What fan speed do you use, and do you open or close the shutters on the bottom? At what time do you hit the jets on your curve?

This regards solid drum.  (I returned the perforated shortly after the original post here.  I have an insulated setup, a metal plate suspended below the drum, but no shutters.  (The perforated unit was on loan from Susan and it has perforation.)  I set my fan to just draw - from the match testm - and raise it for 20 seconds at 195C (just before 1C) and back down.  I usually fire the jets 30 seconds after charge.  And my heat source is open flame.

Edit: Also do you find that your beans are noticeably darker in a solid drum even at the exact same Dev%, AUC and Drop Temp as the Perf?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM